Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Computer purchase

Hello everyone

I would like to ask your collective experience for advice regarding the purchase of a new computer that will easily handle NT7 trading 8 to 10 instruments, multi indicator on each chart and orders originated by chart trader using 4 to 6 screens.

It is time for me to renew my hardware but I heard that Ninja Trader 7 only uses a single core for charting / order processing leaving the others idle and, since today, all machines come with multi core chips, it seems like a waste to only take advantage of one core. I would appreciate a correction if my information is wrong.

On the side,has anyone heard or knows of someone using a NVIDIA Tesla with GPU, based computer for trading?

Thank you for any idea or suggestions you may share.

Javier

Hi Javier,

Thank you for your post.

Based on your desired configuration as long as your PC meets the minimum requirements you should have no issues. As for the cores NinjaTrader does support multi-core functionality, and 64 bit PCs.

However, for the more specific questions regarding the installation and a particular PC I will leave for other users as their experiences may aid.
    Ryan O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Javier,

I personally will be looking at the custom graphic cards built for financial industry, driving display port monitors on next purchase.

I dont know of anyone using NT with GPU (for trading) yet, but it has been of an interest of mine for some time.

Consider getting a server borad so you can have 64GB ram: I have noticed that running optimizations on a 8gb system will sometimes choke NT: MUCH less occurances on my 64GB /8cores unit. Sweet spot is likely about 6 cores and 32GB ram, which is what I would do and consider some kind of sharing of resources as in cluster server for fallback. I may actually eventually take half the ram out and get a similar 2xOpteron board to have the type of system I am describing.

Good luck and have fun!
      Jon

Comment

Hi Javier,

Just to build off of Trader.Jon's comments NinjaTrader does have hardware partners, as well, that provide custom trading computers and you can review the specifications of those computers at http://www.customtradingcomputers.com/
        Ryan O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by Trader.Jon View Post
          Javier,

I dont know of anyone using NT with GPU (for trading) yet, but it has been of an interest of mine for some time.

Good luck and have fun!
          Jon
          I'm sure you've heard of Encog?

I bought one of this guy's book years ago..(no longer listed on the site).

Today I was googling around for something related to ninja trader, and came across this.. I think I saw it uses gpu or can (but whether or not in this case or what circumstances, I have no clue right now). I just stumbled upon this today.

I guess the idea with this is to make a system that can learn and then predict. Found a thread on bigmiketrading relating to this,and some guys were discussing it.

It appears he has taken on programming the basic standard comp sci neural networks, and is trying to marry it with ninja trader.

I guess the hard part would be to come up with something that could 'work'.

We are sorry, we could not find the page you were looking for. Consider one of thefollowing destinations: Encog Project Jeff Heaton’s Books Jeff Heaton’s Blog Artificial Intelligence for Humans Down

(gpu related)
          We are sorry, we could not find the page you were looking for. Consider one of thefollowing destinations: Encog Project Jeff Heaton’s Books Jeff Heaton’s Blog Artificial Intelligence for Humans Down

Comment

I am aware of the thread on BMT ... as it is still really beta, I dont think it is ready for a real time trading environment yet ... I felt your reference to GPU was more towards use in a active trading environment .. sorry to misunderstand

Jon

Comment

Thank you Trader_Jon , Ryan and Sledge for your information. I will considerer seriously a custom graphics card for trading as well as looking at the hardware partners Ninja has.
              I have a good month of fun ahead.
              Keep the ideas coming since I can benefit from all of them.

Thank you all again guys.. I love this forum!
              Javier

Comment

Originally posted by Javier View Post
                Thank you Trader_Jon , Ryan and Sledge for your information. I will considerer seriously a custom graphics card for trading as well as looking at the hardware partners Ninja has.
                I have a good month of fun ahead.
                Keep the ideas coming since I can benefit from all of them.

Thank you all again guys.. I love this forum!
                Javier
                Hi, It's me again.
                With the new computer I will have the option of choosing from two operating systems, XP and Windows 7..
                XP proved to be solid for me up until now but with the upgraded hardware do you know if it pays to move up (or is it down) to Windows 7? Any suggestions on this one?

Thank you all

Javier

Comment

Windows 7 is the way to go.
                  BTW I use 5 monitors for my trading and have 3 regular old graphic cards, I have a total of 14 charts on these 5 monitors and about 10 more minimized, my PC is 3 years old.

So no real need to have extra powerful system to trade.

Comment

Larry 22:
                    Thanks for your response. I've had such a good results for years using XP that I was unsure about a change. I guess that as technology advances, so must I, not to stay behind.
                    Good trading.

Javier

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by GussJ, 03-04-2020, 03:11 PM
                    16 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post Leafcutter  
                    Started by WHICKED, Today, 12:45 PM
                    2 responses