NT7 DB gobbling up HDD on WinXP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT7 DB gobbling up HDD on WinXP

For users who are hyped about new versions of NT but not so much of Windows: after using NT7 on WinXP for a while I've noticed that despite clearing db completely and even re-installing NT7 fresh free space on my HDD is being gobbled up. It all tracked down to a single file Windows.edb which indexed all NT db files (even they don't exist anymore, smart ain't it) Because new DB structure assumes tons of small files Windows.edb swelled up to several Gb and unfortunately there's no easy way to reduce it or start it afresh.

Nothing really critical, just an interesting observation. I wonder if same would be true on Win7.

Hi billitin,

Thanks for reporting this. I've not heard of this before, so I'd be interested to see what results other users are seeing.
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I guess I've experienced most severe form because I've loaded NT with long data series from ~1,000 instruments that I've purchased. That by itself is a lot of data.

Comment

Originally posted by billitin View Post
        For users who are hyped about new versions of NT but not so much of Windows: after using NT7 on WinXP for a while I've noticed that despite clearing db completely and even re-installing NT7 fresh free space on my HDD is being gobbled up. It all tracked down to a single file Windows.edb which indexed all NT db files (even they don't exist anymore, smart ain't it) Because new DB structure assumes tons of small files Windows.edb swelled up to several Gb and unfortunately there's no easy way to reduce it or start it afresh.

Nothing really critical, just an interesting observation. I wonder if same would be true on Win7.
        That is a Microsoft issue, not a NT one. That file is the database file created by Windows Search.

ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Search

For some reason, it likes to enable itself. I ALWAYS turn it off. To me it is a totally useless resource hog that slows me down in every thing that I do on my computer. When I can spare some cycles, I actually go in and root it totally out of the system. It used to be a somewhat hairy operation: I am not sure if it is any easier now, as I have not done the removal thingy in a while.
        Last edited by koganam; 02-28-2011, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Sounds like Microsoft which would rather die than admit they've been wrong and change their ways... yes I'm having the same trouble. If only NT would naturally run on Linux/Unix I'd switch over.

Comment

Originally posted by billitin View Post
            Sounds like Microsoft which would rather die than admit they've been wrong and change their ways... yes I'm having the same trouble. If only NT would naturally run on Linux/Unix I'd switch over.
            Here is a starter link.

Learn how to do just about everything at ehow. Find expert advice along with How To videos and articles, including instructions on how to make, cook, grow, or do almost anything.

Comment

After some research and testing, this is known about Windows XP with "Windows Desktop Search" installed that the 'Windows.edb' grows substantially in size when many files are placed inside 'My Documents'. The growth of the same file in Vista and 7 is not significant.

Manually exclude 'db' folder from being Indexed -

XP -
              Start --> Control Panel --> Indexing options
              Select "Documents and Settings" --> Press 'Modify" --> Expand 'C:\documents and settings\%username%\My Documents\NinjaTrader 7'and and un-select the folder 'db' --> Press 'OK' --> Press 'Close'

Vista/7 -
              Start --> Control Panel --> Indexing options
              Select "Users" --> Press 'Modify" --> Expand 'C:\users\%username%\My Documents\NinjaTrader 7'and un-select the folder 'db' --> Press 'OK' --> Press 'Close'
              LowellSenior IT Manager

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by Waxavi, Today, 02:10 AM
              1 response
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_LuisH  
              Started by Kaledus, Today, 01:29 PM
              5 responses
              0 likes