Major charting and navigation functions needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Major charting and navigation functions needed

I had hoped to switch from Tradestation to Ninjatrader, but the more I look at NT 7, the more I realize that it's charting functionality is in the dark ages. Here are four functionalities that NT desperately needs:

1) copy/paste charts
    2) indicator groups
    3) merging templates (not the same thing as #2)
    4) multiple workspaces open simultaneously

Without these capabilities, NT is very weak.

Thanks,
    Tasuki

Hello Tasuki,

Thank you for your post.

1 & 2. This can be accomplished by creating a chart template and then applying the template to additional charts that you would like settings and indicators applied too. To save a chart template once you have your chart setup please right mouse click within your chart-->Templates-->Save As-->Name the template-->Click Ok.

To apply this template to a new chart please right mouse click within your chart-->Templates-->Load-->Select your template-->Click Ok.

I have provided a link below to our Help Guide that goes over Chart Templates.

3 & 4. Thank you for your suggestions on how we can improve our product. It has been inserted into our tracking system. Suggestion 3 has been assigned ID # 768 and number 4 has been assigned ID 769.

Have a great day and Happy Trading!
    Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Christopher J, One of us is suffering from a major misunderstanding here. I tried an experiment just a few minutes ago, creating a chart (chart #1) with two indicators, saving it as a template, and then applying that template to a new chart (chart #2) that I'd created with two different indicators. By applying the template from chart #1 to chart #2, the indicators which I had already put on chart #2 were wiped out, as were the other settings, like the session template. This is completely wrong, so wrong I don't know how to begin to tell you if you don't understand. If you want to learn how to do this, learn from Tradestation. For all their problems in other areas, they have totally got this part of charting nailed down tight as a drum. What traders want to do is to be able to create modules, with groups of indicators...analysis groups is what Tradestation calls them. By copy/pasting charts (one of my other ideas), you can also effectively create a template of all the other (non-indicator) settings, such as the background color, bar or candlestick type, session parameters (day only or 24 hour, etc.). By having your templates save absolutely everything, and then erase previous templates when you apply a new one, you are defeating the whole idea of mixing and matching templates and settings. In a previous thread somewhere in the charting forum, one of your staff suggested the idea of "merging" templates, and said he would pass this idea along. This would work, I guess, if you make it flexible enough. Of course, as I mentioned at the beginning, perhaps I am not understanding how to add one template on top of another on top of another on top of another. For example, I would have templates for candlestick colors (e.g. red/green for ES charts, black/yellow for CL charts, blue/silver for SI charts). I would have templates for groups of indicators (e.g. momentum indicators on one template, oscillator indicators on another template--all preset with my favorite settings). I would have templates for 5 minute charts, which require a specific set of moving averages, and a different template for volume charts, which require a different set of moving averages. Do you understand? Being able to add a candlestick template to a template of indicators to a template for a specific timeframe would make Ninjatrader so much more useful to chartists that you would be finally able to drag large numbers of traders away from Tradestation. Without these functionalities, you really are, in terms of charting, in the dark ages.

Comment

Yes I understand exactly what you are looking to achieve however unfortunately at this time within NinjaTrader when a Chart Template is applied it will overwrite all existing settings such as indicators, colors, etc and will not be merged like you have described.

I know this is not exactly what you are looking for but the only option at this time is to setup a Chart Template for each time interval you may use with all settings applied for your specific indicators. For example a template for a 5 Minute chart, 10 Minute chart, etc.

We do appreciate your suggestions on how we can improve our product and has been sent to our development team.
        Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by hazylizard, Today, 08:38 AM
        2 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post hazylizard  
        Started by geddyisodin, Today, 05:20 AM
        2 responses
        0 likes