NT 7, Cores and Threads in PC's CPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT 7, Cores and Threads in PC's CPU

Being at the final stages of choosing a new computer, I find myself confused by the choices of CPUs with 4 cores 4 Threads, or, 4 Cores 8 Threads (and more if so wanted).
    I have read the listed Minimum PC Requirements but my question is whether NT 7 takes full advantage of higher end processors at this moment using all 8 threads if available, only 4, or if not, is there is an intention to move in that direction any time soon?
    Thanks for your help. All comments much appreciated.

Javier

Javier,

My advise, and only recently since release (7.0.100.4), you cannot go wrong with an Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600k. I have mine running very stable at 4.5 GHz on air. It cranks through optimizations utilizing 85%+ of the cpu. I have hyper threading enabled (4 physical, 4 HT), but from what I understand with NT the performance would be the same with HT disabled (4 physical).

"Buying a computer" is foreign to me as I haven't in 15 years. If you are interested in performance buy the parts and build one yourself. It really is not that difficult and you will save several hundred dollars. At least look into it.

eleven

Comment

Hi eleven
      Thanks for your advise. I had been toying with the idea of building my own PC and you just gave me a boost in that direction. Of course, since I have never built one before I may as well put my hands in an A to Z, step by step, guide before even looking at components. Do you know of one good such guide?

Any way, it is an exciting idea the first time around.

Great to have received your opinions.

Javier

Comment

Javier,

If you decide to build a computer, probably the best thing to do is find a relative, friend, neighbor, etc. who has done it before to help you out. This would be the best way to go about it. If this isn't an option there are many guides online. Just google "build your own computer" and many hits will appear. For example: http://www.kitchentablecomputers.com/index.php

For the first time builder a kit would be good as well. Here is a kit that has the same motherboard and CPU that I have. I can verify that it is fast. The only thing that you will need to buy separate from this is a video card. If you are a gamer add $200-450, if not add $100 (or less even). http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...6348&CatId=333

This would also be a great system and it comes with a video card. Slower that the above link but still very fast.

Hope this helps,
        eleven
        Last edited by eleven; 05-03-2011, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Comment

Thanks eleven and nailz420. Sorry for the very late reply but I appreciate your suggestions and they are helping a lot to make a decision..

Javier

Comment

You also should be aware the Ninja only uses multiple cores during optimisations. If you want to just manually just trade off charts then you are better off with an I3. After doing some research I came to the understanding that the fast I3 processors have better per core throughput than the I7, so if you only want to trade manually your money is better spend on an I3 220 with a heap of RAM than on an I5 or I7.

Comment

This is incorrect, as the i7 has more L2 cache, which helps much more with speed than the frequency differences at the higher range of the I3 models and the I7 models. Also the i3 models have locked multipliers, which make them useless for overclocking. An i5 is very close to the same performance but if you want the fastest i7 at a reasonable price its hard to go wrong with an i7 2600k as they overclock to 4.2 or further on the stock cooler, and over 4.8 with a better cooler.

i3 is a very stripped down version of the i7 or i5.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. Having said that, I know my new I3 outperforms my friends I7 with Ninjatrader. Mind you I don't think his is set up properly as he has the O/S on a SSD and it still takes as long to boot up as mine which has a spinning drive!

Comment

Great forum this one

Pauly 139 and Neb 1998
                    Thank you guys for this discussion. I have finally decided for a Sandy Bridge i7 2600k chip and all other components that best work with it. I am not building it myself this time but I "quasi" followed Eleven's advise and got a friend who's built one to supervise the technician who's building the computer for me. I learn in the mean time.
                    Thanks to all who contributed.
                    Javier

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by arvidvanstaey, Today, 02:19 PM
                    4 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post arvidvanstaey  
                    Started by samish18, 04-17-2024, 08:57 AM
                    16 responses