Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

When using indicator on indicator, selected settings are replaced by default settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When using indicator on indicator, selected settings are replaced by default settings

This one has been annoying me, so I did some testing to verify my suspicions. I used the TEMA function for the test because I don't use it in practice (at least not so far) so I didn't have a default set for it. Here's what I did, and what I observed:

1. I added the TEMA indicator to a chart and set the period to 21.

2. For the input series, I selected TEMA again and set the period to 34.

3. I closed the Indicators window to add the TEMA-on-TEMA to the chart.

4. I reopened the Indicators window, selected the 21-period TEMA and opened its Input Series window. The input series shown was the previously-selected 34-period TEMA.

5. I closed the Input Series window, then I right-clicked in the Indicators window and set the default for TEMA. This meant the default was now a period of 21.

6. I opened the Input Series window again. Now the input series shown was a 21-period TEMA. So my previously-selected period of 34 was lost, superseded by the new default value.

Yes, it's true that I can keep the value I entered by simply cancelling and dismissing the Input Series window. But consider if I did TEMA on TEMA on some third function and wanted to change the third function's parameters. In that case I would also have to fix the second TEMA's period. But I shouldn't have to! Defaults should be applied to new functions only, while pre-existing values should be preserved.

Hello MikeInMA,

Thank you for your detailed steps. I can reproduce the issue on my end as well. I will forward your findings to development to further investigate the issue.

Once there is news regarding the matter, I will let you know.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello MikeInMA,

Unfortunately, this is a limitation in NinjaTrader.

If you save default settings for an indicator and you use that indicator as input series for another indicator and you come back to edit the input series, the parameters saved as default will be listed instead of the last parameters selected. You will need to set it back manually if you do not want to use the default parameters.
      JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by yertle, Yesterday, 08:38 AM
      7 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post yertle
      by yertle

Started by bmartz, 03-12-2024, 06:12 AM
      2 responses