Minor suggestions for Draw Object management

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minor suggestions for Draw Object management

While preparing several charts for presentation purposes, I found myself really wishing for a few additional small features to make this task easier:

1. Up and down arrows - it would be nice if arrows have a property for a label, so that text I place under or over an arrow will maintain its position relative to the arrow regardless of the vertical scale on the chart. The buy and sell markers generated by strategies and by trading already have this feature, where information about the execution is displayed under or over the arrow, but I can't access those markers.

2. Lines - I often have to draw horizontal lines with a start and end point. The end points already snap to the bar column on the time axis. That's good. It would be better if the line object has a checkbox property to snap to the nearest tick of the instrument on the vertical axis.

3. Selecting a group for copy/pasting - If I draw a legend on my chart to explain what the different symbols and colors mean, I'd like to be able to select that whole group of draw objects, to copy and paste them on another chart. In the cursor selection gadget on the toolbar that offers a pointer, crosshair, and global crosshair, perhaps an additional "Select" pointer could be added to allow rubber-band rectangle selection of a group of objects.

I know these suggestions would be considered low priority.

-Alex
    Last edited by anachronist; 08-03-2011, 02:01 PM.

anachronist,

Thank you for your post and feedback.

I will check with development on items #1 and #3 in your post, however for #2, what "Snap Mode" are you using, just Bar?

If you set this to Bar and Price does it snap as you would expect?
    MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Matthew View Post
      anachronist,
      I will check with development on items #1 and #3 in your post, however for #2, what "Snap Mode" are you using, just Bar?
      Thanks for the response Matthew. The snap mode setting doesn't solve my problem. If I set it to "bar and price" then I am restricted to snapping to price bars. I don't want to do that. I need to draw a line that doesn't necessarily touch the bars, but snaps to the nearest tick increment.

Often what happens is I draw a line that looks horizontal, but at a different scale it isn't, although it would have been horizontal if it was snapping to the nearest tick.

Please amend my #2 issue to say that the "Snap mode" setting needs an additional setting to snap to ticks.

-Alex

Comment

Hello Alex,

Setting Snap Mode to Price only will have the drawing object snap to tick increments and not price bars. Please let us know if this will not work for you as you like.
        JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

That sort of does what I need, but then I lose the snapping to the time increments.

I find it odd that "Bar" snaps to bar columns without the object needing to be on the price bar, and "Price" snaps to tick increments without the object needing to be on the price bar, but "Bar and Price" suddenly restricts the position to the price bar instead of simply snapping to the nearest tick and bar column. If you unrestricted this mode, then people could still use it to put objects on bars, but also put them elsewhere.

-Alex

Comment

anachronist

Thank you for your input regarding enhancing NinjaTrader; we will track your feedback using ID# 635 & 1151
            MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by usazencort, Today, 01:16 AM
            0 responses
            1 view
            0 likes
            Last Post usazencort  
            Started by kaywai, 09-01-2023, 08:44 PM
            5 responses