Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suppressing indicator output

Hello,
    I'd like to propose adding a property to the indicator base class that would allow switching off printing output. This topic was already here few years ago (http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...ad.php?t=20924), but if the source code is not available, the solution suggested there cannot be used.

A more sophisticated solution would be to enable redirection of indicator output to a new tab of Output window (would require implementing tabs).

Hi Endif,

This would have to be controlled with your own custom code, and the link you reference is a good approach to this. For help creating your own methods, see the following link:

You can add a bool input using either the indicator or strategy wizard, and would allow prints or not based on this bool value.

private void myPrintMethod(string printText)
    {
    if (MakePrints)
    Print(printText);
    }

myPrintMethod(Close[0] + " Some More Stuff: " + High[0]);
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_RyanM1; 08-24-2011, 02:25 PM.
    Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Ryan,
      yes, I know about it, but as I mentioned, it's not a solution if the source code is not available (in case of a commercial indicator, for example). My concrete reason to ask fot this tiny enhancement is that I've got Output window cluttered with useless debug info from closed-source indicators... which is rather annoying while debugging my own stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Endif View Post
        Hi Ryan,
        yes, I know about it, but as I mentioned, it's not a solution if the source code is not available (in case of a commercial indicator, for example). My concrete reason to ask fot this tiny enhancement is that I've got Output window cluttered with useless debug info from closed-source indicators... which is rather annoying while debugging my own stuff.
        If I may, the suggestion I would offer is to use the method that I use. When debugging my own stuff, I have a workspace with one chart that I use, and close all other workspaces. That way the output window shows only the stuff from my indicators on that one chart.

Cumbersome,but workable. Of course, that means no debugging during active trading hours.

Comment

Sure, this is certainly possible. Another solution is to send debug info to a file (or use some more sophisticated method), but it would be nice to have "NoPrint feature" in NT instead of creating workarounds for it.

Comment

Ryan,
            with the what has been said below, will you please reconsider and forward this request to the product management? I believe this would be a tiny, but helpful enhancement.

Comment

I submitted your initial request but it was determined that there is a custom programming solution here. If you do not have access to the source code for 3rd party scripts, then the only way to suppress output will be to remove these indicators from any charts.
              Last edited by NinjaTrader_RyanM1; 08-29-2011, 09:12 AM.
              Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I'm happy to see that NT stuff has a sense of humour ;-) Well, I've got nothing to say more...

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by maybeimnotrader, Yesterday, 05:46 PM
                3 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
                Started by adeelshahzad, Today, 03:54 AM
                5 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH