optional unselectable draw objects via ninjascript

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

optional unselectable draw objects via ninjascript

feature suggestion: Ninjascript option to make specific drawing objects, such as lines, rays, fibs, etc. unselectable at the time when they are first created by a script.

motivation: The reliability of tools like chart trader, and other important gui features such as interactive chart dragging for scrolling, etc. can be easily compromised when draw objects become accidentally selected at critical times during high-speed trading. Just imagine trying to adjust a stop or a target manually on the chart using chart trader when there are many draw objects in the background, each with the potential to become selected by accident at precisely the wrong time. A ninjascript option to create unselectable draw objects will reduce screen clutter and eliminate the need for cumbersome, programming-intensive workarounds such as overriding the "Plot()" method and other related "unsupported by ninjatrader" techniques. In other words, don't ALWAYS assume that a draw object needs to be manipulated manually, if the programmer intends otherwise.

rants: We should not have to choose between using chart trader and using programatically created drawing objects on the same chart, just to make sure that chart trader and other gui features will be reliable in the "heat of battle" that is daytrading. Otherwise, we would be better advised to simply use a dom for order entry, etc. and relegate our charts to analysis only.

We should not have to delve into "unsupported by ninjatrader" programming methods just to solve a problem that is so clearly central to the basic needs of daytraders: how to keep chart trader and other chart dragging features unencumbered by accidentally selected draw objects.

I am grateful to those who have shared unsupported ninjascript examples about how to override the "Plot()" method, how to extract information from "ChartControl", etc. but even with years of non-professional programming experience I still don't feel comfortable rewriting my very complex existing working ninjascripts to use GDI drawing methods. I don't have the budget for a freelance programmer's assistance. If my indicators were simpler, I could probably figure it out on my own, but there are plenty of good reasons why not all programming projects should be simple. Like Einstein said, "keep things as simple as possible, but no simpler".

Looks like I will be using the dom instead of chart trader from now on. Thanks for providing that much functionality, as I am counting my blessings for the things that do work. I just hope that ninja developers will see the value in a very simple addition to ninjascript, such as "unselectable = true" for draw objects.

kh_model,

I have submitted your request to development. I will let you know when I get a tracking number for it.

Thanks for your suggestion.
    Adam P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello,

A possible workaround you might try for now.

Right click->properties->right margin and increase the margin to something that would be slightly larger then the chart trader flag itself(Not the extended line). Then right click on the chart trader panel and then select chart trader properties and then change the chart trader order bar display length to something small. You might need to work with the numbers to get it tow ork for you but end result would be a blank space on the rioght were your orders would rest and you can modify them their and then have all your drawing objects to the left of the order bars.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Comment

you can also look into the locked feature, like

ILine line = DrawLine(...);
        line.Locked = true;

Comment

khmodel,

Your suggestion was sent to development with internal tracking ID #1383.

Please let me know if I may assist further.
          Adam P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by arvidvanstaey, Today, 02:19 PM
          4 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post arvidvanstaey  
          Started by samish18, 04-17-2024, 08:57 AM
          16 responses
          0 likes