Suggestion: organize menu's better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestion: organize menu's better

This is subjective but I think the menu system in NT is a big mess and I would like to see it organised better so that it is more intuitive.

Example of its awkwardness related to Ninja Script options:
    Tools - New Ninja Script
    Tools - Edit Ninja Script
    File - Utilities - Import Ninja Script
    File - Utilities - Export Ninja Script

Why not group them together all under the Tools menu? Or even make a 'Ninja Script' menu?

Licenses Example.
    Typically you find licensing details under the help menu, but not NT:
    Help - License Key
    Help - 3rd Party Licensing
    File - Utilities - Vendor Licensing

I think Vendor Licensing should be grouped with the others.

Utilities Group Example.
    Normally you would find things such as Tools, Options, Customizations under an Options menu. In NT's case we have Tools. That is fine, but, it would be nice if Utilities was also grouped there but it is located here under the File menu.

Tools - Options
    File - Utilities

Move this under the 'Tools' tab so it looks like this. That way we have all this stuff in the most intuitive place.

Tools - Options
    Tools - Utilities

Data Connections example:
    Tools - Account Connections
    File - Connect
    File - Disconnect

Why do these need to be in different tabs? Again, group this stuff together so it makes sense and the user gets the flow of the application.

Historical Data Example:
    Tools - Historical Data Manager
    File - Utilities - Download Replay Data

I would expect to find these things in the same place as they are similar.

Instruments:
    Tools - Instrument Manager
    File - Utilities - Import Stock Symbol List

Again, similar, group them.

NT is a great program, but you need a degree to figure the thing out and the current menu structure does not help with the learning curve, in fact, its probably the biggest contributor to the learning curve as it makes no sense. If more thought is put into the layout of the menu system so that it flows and is intuitive, the learning curve can be reduced drastically.

Hello rcampbell,

Thanks for your post on this subject.

I do understand what you're speaking of here and can empathize. I'll forward this feedback on to development right now.
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I think (therefore i programm) , the same. In my opinion, the menus should be designed for beginners. The experts will probably do "Ctrl + Shift + Alt + p + pagdwn" to access to frequently used functions

Items must be (best?) grouped:
      Ninja Scripts (Create, Delete, Edit, Compile, Import, Export, Remove Assembly,etc.)
      Conections (Create,Delete,Edit, Connect, Disconnect,etc )
      Data (Import, export, download Replay, edit, etc.)
      Instrument Manager ( Some of us hope we will find here "import symbol list")

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Have to agree with the OP - I am finding the forum very difficult to navigate.

I did a search for "beginners" and this is what I got back - nothing there about "beginners," so I am going to try other search terms.

I am despairing of navigating this forum - I am finding it quite unfriendly to new users who are trying to find specific support.

I am thinking of abandoning the forum and looking for someone who can chat on Skype to help me get set up. So far I have loaded free data, and opened ONE chart ... but beyond that, I can not find anything on the forum (yet) to take me one more step. Getting that far took me 3 days, and I had to exchange emails with NT support staff in the end.

I am frustrated about not being able to use NT like everyone else seems to be able to. I thought the NT platform would be easy to set up and use, but I am finding it to be a nightmare and a complete vacuum cleaner of my time.

Am I dumb?

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Ingot54 View Post
            Have to agree with the OP - I am finding the forum very difficult to navigate.

I did a search for "beginners" and this is what I got back - nothing there about "beginners," so I am going to try other search terms.

I am despairing of navigating this forum - I am finding it quite unfriendly to new users who are trying to find specific support.

I am thinking of abandoning the forum and looking for someone who can chat on Skype to help me get set up. So far I have loaded free data, and opened ONE chart ... but beyond that, I can not find anything on the forum (yet) to take me one more step. Getting that far took me 3 days, and I had to exchange emails with NT support staff in the end.

I am frustrated about not being able to use NT like everyone else seems to be able to. I thought the NT platform would be easy to set up and use, but I am finding it to be a nightmare and a complete vacuum cleaner of my time.

Am I dumb?

Thank you.
            You are not dumb: you are just looking in the wrong place. The correct place for what you seek is the user manual, not the Forum. The forum is for seeking community help when you get stuck using NT, not for learning how to use NT.

Open NinjaTrader, hit the F1 function key to bring up the NT Help. It is a comprehensive user manual that walks you through setup and first use, and then some.

Comment

Originally posted by koganam View Post
              You are not dumb: you are just looking in the wrong place. The correct place for what you seek is the user manual, not the Forum. The forum is for seeking community help when you get stuck using NT, not for learning how to use NT.

Open NinjaTrader, hit the F1 function key to bring up the NT Help. It is a comprehensive user manual that walks you through setup and first use, and then some.
              Thank you so much Koganam ... there is a lot of info there.

I have also found a site that hosts NT Youtube assistance:

http://www.youtube.com/user/NinjaTraderLLC/videos?view=1&sort=dd&shelf_index=2

Finally ... I am on my way! Don't know how I missed these two vital support links ... but I hope someone else also benefits from this.

Thank you again for taking the time to help a newbie with NT.

EDIT: This post has now been amended to reflect the correct link to the NT Support Training Video Playlists on YouTube.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Ingot54; 08-29-2013, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Hello Ingot54,

Glad to see you were able to find our youtube channel which is a great resource.

In addition to that, we also conduct free live training webinars with members of our support team where you can interact with our staff and ask questions on various topics.

More information about these sessions can be found here:

Webinar Schedule

You may also feel free to write us at support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com with any questions you may have and we'd be happy to help. If you need help with anything specific, we would also be happy to setup a phone call where we can use remote software to log into your computer and help you with anything you need on your unique system.
                Last edited by NinjaTrader_Matthew; 08-29-2013, 07:11 AM.
                MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Thank you Matthew

One thing I have been finding is the level of support for NT is unsurpassed - and I mean unsurpassed anywhere.

Firstly, the NT Support staff are so generous with their time - and nothing is an issue to them - they are efficient and patient. I can hardly believe this, but it is nevertheless exactly what I have found.

Then, fellow traders who use NT are so eager to offer help. I am blown away by all the features on this platform - some of which I do not yet appreciate nor understand. But I am certain in coming days these things will assume vital importance as my trading matures to require some of these features.

All I can say is how greatly I appreciate your willingness to help. And I will be certain to pay it forward ... and back ... in whatever ways I can. Word of mouth is a start

I have found the Videos are a little bit fast, but all I do is drag the replay button back a little and watch again, or pause until I find the section to follow on my charts, and restart. I actually prefer them to be fast now, so that I can skip through to the relevant bits more quickly.

These videos are a fantastic resource ... my thanks for providing them ... so much there to make the settling-in period more comfortable for newbies. Today has been a huge learning curve for me, and I am feeling so much more optimistic than I did 24 hours ago.

Bless you all.

EDIT: I will follow through on the webinars - I notice the training ones are at 0200hrs Australian Eastern Standard Time, so will probably be more interested in the recorded ones for replay.

Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your kind words! I've shared this post with the rest of our support staff and we all do appreciate it!
                    MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Correction to earlier post

Just wanted to add the correct link, to point to the NT Training Videos.

My post above at 09.49pm (Post #7) gave an incorrect link ... this one is correct:

NinjaTrader | Trading Platform and Futures Broker NinjaTrader is a leader in the futures trading industry, supporting over 1 million users around the globe with best-in-class technology, deep discount commissions and world class support. NinjaTrader's award-winning platform and futures brokerage equip active traders with the tools and support they need to succeed. You can also download our NinjaTrader mobile apps for iPhone or Android to enjoy seamless trading across devices through a cloud-based trading infrastructure. Whether you’re interested in analyzing the markets to uncover trading ideas, building rich and integrated trading apps, testing ideas through simulation and backtesting or utilizing 100s of built-in charts, NinjaTrader has you covered! Get your free demo with live market data at the Get NinjaTrader link below. Futures trading involves inherent risks and only risk capital should be used for trading. Please see below for a link to our full Risk Disclosure.

Sorry if anyone was inconvenienced by that, but this link is central to the issue of support, and will be well patronised by those looking for better access to platform training.

Thanks again everyone

Ivan

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by wzgy0920, 04-20-2024, 06:09 PM
                      2 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post wzgy0920  
                      Started by wzgy0920, 02-22-2024, 01:11 AM
                      5 responses