Update to .Net Framework 4.0?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello,

Our next major release of NinjaTrader we plan on making the update. This release does not have a release date yet however it is still sometime out and is in development right now.

-Brett

Comment

So, to be clear. Not only do you not plan to support the CURRENTLY 2 YEARS OLD version, you also plan to release the NEXT generation ALREADY with outdated technology? Because unless you release before October 2012, .NET 4.0 will be outdated and superceded by .NET 4.5.

Thank heaven MS does not play by your rules and .NET 4.5 is a drop in replacement for 4.0 - I am now just waiting for you to tell us we can not install it because it broke Ninja. But then likely you HAVED to fix that, so - you fail, sorry, the next release will actually HAVE theen to use the current .NET framework, despite all your effort to not support modern versions and stick to as outdated ones as possible.

Comment

To be clear, we will make these major changes when we release major versions of our platform so they can have major testing.

Furthermore I did not specify which version of .net we will run on our next generation release.

-Brett

Comment

Can we pretty please get an update on this...?

I can't even get a decent profiling tool to attach to a .Net 3.5 process.

Comment

We will be making this change in the next major release of NinjaTrader, however we do not have an ETA on this release at this time.
            MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

.NET version

It has been over 6 months since the last posting in this thread.

I presume that the next "major version" would be version 8 -- is that right?

Is there any update on ETA for the next "major version" or which version of .NET it will support?

Thanks,
              EV

Comment

Hi EV, thanks for checking in - unfortunately I could provide an ETA, however we plan to add support for latest .NET 4.5 in our major platform update.
                BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

3.5 is considered dinosaur..
                  Do we have to do this every six months and see the same answer like
                  "yes it's in the next release and no there's no ETA"??

Comment

Unfortunately we still do not have an ETA when NinjaTrader 8 will be released.
                    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

BackPorting

Guys,

I don't know if this is of any interest to you or not but recently I faced this .NET issue when I wanted to use Encog from inside NinjaTrader. I discovered a solution which I posted here:

We are sorry, we could not find the page you were looking for. Consider one of thefollowing destinations: Encog Project Jeff Heaton’s Books Jeff Heaton’s Blog Artificial Intelligence for Humans Down

Essentially M$ has released back-ported versions of the .NET 4 libraries for 3.5 (Called Reactive Extensions) which effectively allow us to upgrade our 3.5 to 4.0 without changing the CLR / version number. This allowed me to back-port Encog from 4.0 to 3.5 with very minimal code changes. Myself and at least one other person are currently using Encog inside NInja without any trouble. If you have the source code for your 4.0 projects the same procedure should make it possible to back-port those libraries as well. I just thought I would share this to help ease the pain.

Kind Regards

Wolfie

Comment

NT Releases

Brett, Jason or Bertrand,
                        I don't want to be a broken record for all the posts complaining about release dates, but can you understand how pointless it is to claim there is going to be a release for some serious problem, when many years go by and there is not a single release? In early 2012, over two years ago there was the claim by NT support that there would be a release to update to a later .NET than 3.5!

.NET 3.5 is so old that I don't know if I can buy a new computer and still run NT. The problem gets really bad when other packages you want to install on a PC require at least .NET 4 and often install .NET 4 or later as part of the install. Sometimes it is possible to keep .NET 3.5 around for NT, but it is getting really hard now.

There has also been talk of NT 8 for years, but at least in that case we knew it was just marketing talk. We are now caught in the worst situation because there is no .NET update because NT 8 is "coming out soon" yet in reality we don't have NT 8 and it could be several more years for that. How many more years then can we expect to wait for a .NET update?
                        Last edited by tradetree; 05-19-2014, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Tradetree,

It is not scheduled to update the .net framework version for NinjaTrader 7.

NinjaTrader 8 contains an update to .net 4.5 which we are using in development now. I understand your patience is running low as we work on NinjaTrader 8. We are working as fast as we can but with a product as complex as NinjaTrader it takes time and is a considerable engineering effort on this release.

I still yet don't have a release date for NT8 and as soon as I have an expected release date I will tell you. What I can tell you is that I'm working on the help guide now which should indicate to you that we are getting closer.

Thank you for your patience while we finish up the details that will allow us to release the beta version of NT8.

-Brett

Comment

Hello tradetree,

Thanks for your post.

There is no issue in getting .NET 3.5 on new computers so that you can use NinjaTrader. NinjaTrader 8 is developments top priority right now however there is no release date available for it at this time.
                            If you need any assistance in getting NinjaTrader running on a new computer you can email support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com and we would be happy to assist you further.
                            BrandonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you Brett and Brandon for your replies. It is good to at least know you are supporting helping people with new Windows 8.1 computers get up and running. Sounds like we can expect NT 8 to be out this year, and probably more like this fall.

BTW, I am looking at the Dell XPS 18, Intel i7, 8GB RAM with Windows 8.1. Don't know if any customers are running on that machine, but it would be an added relief to know that.
                              Last edited by tradetree; 05-19-2014, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by cre8able, Today, 03:20 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post cre8able  
                              Started by Fran888, 02-16-2024, 10:48 AM
                              3 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Sam2515