Re Data Box Formatting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re Data Box Formatting

An earlier post was reference the data box and saving the settings once adjusted.

A really useful feature for the data box would be to display indicator values that aren't plotted or displayed on a chart. eg I want to know the 5 period ATR of the main chart but don't want the sub indicator displayed and using up my screen real estate.

A simple work around used by TOS is to have a check box in the equivalent of your 'indicator parameters box' which allows the user to display the plot. If this is un-checked then the sub-graph is not initialized or drawn but the data is still available in an output / data window. The only option to display data in the data box for say ATR at NT seems to be to make the plot transparent and then 'squish' the box up as small as possible at the bottom of the screen or overlay an invisible plot on another indicator.
    I am aware that the market analyzer can be configured to display this data but it means another open box on the screen most of which is filled with data from the chart that I have open anyway ie Instrument name, symbol, last, OHLC, Vol etc etc

Another solution might be to have two user defined panels within the data box - one a market analyzer, as configurable as and displaying the same data as; the current market analyzer. The other a non plotting indicator data panel would have the drop down indicator button allowing the user to select from the list the raw indicator data to display, minus the actual plot obviously. This would in effect roll the alert window / market analyzer and data box all in to one AND resolve the annoyance of not having the current bars data in the data box unless the pointer is hovering over the current bar !! (as it could be configured in the market analyzer section and 'update on bar close' could still be utilized on the main chart to save cpu load !).

This will save screen realty and allow us to configure 1 box instead of 3+

If stupidity needed to be contained to ensure that cpu's remained functional then a maximum number of non-plotted indicators that were 'displayed in data box', could be set at 'n'. If this idea is taken up could you please allow us to interchange the 3 'panels' positions within the data box so we could have 'non-plotted indicator data' in panel 1, 2 or 3 ------ market analyzer in panel 1, 2 or 3 ----- chart data in 1, 2 or 3 . Could go 1 step further and allow us to configure the data box horizontally or vertically. Obviously vertically the panels would simply be stacked on top of each other but horizontally we could have all 3 panels in a row or 1 over 2 or 2 over 1. This configuration allows for the extra space (line length) needed for alerts etc in the market analyzer panel.

Really hope this is workable;

Ben.

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your comments. I will be sure to forward to our development team for the idea of values displaying in data box but not plotted.

One work around you could consider for this is setting the indicator plot color to the same color as the chart background.
    Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks a great idea for a simple indicator like ATR.

I am assuming your suggestion is to overlay the indicator on main input series panel then set all the plots and lines to the same color as the background - but a bit of a problem if your using colored time regions on the main chart though.

Ben.

Comment

Thanks, Ben. Correct - the work around may cause issues if your chart has more than one color background. Thanks for the feedback. This request has been assigned tracking ID # 1524.
        Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by rtwave, 04-12-2024, 09:30 AM
        4 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post rtwave
        by rtwave

Started by yertle, Yesterday, 08:38 AM
        7 responses