Clear the logs/traces/prints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clear the logs/traces/prints

I have a strategy that eats up tons of memory. It starts off fairly small but then grows to 6GB in a few hours. The only workaround to the problem is to shut down and restart NinjaTrader.

After researching other posts in the Support Forum, it appears that the problem is the level of activity (enabling and disabling symbols, getting data from multiple timeframes), and my liberal use of the Print command. At the end of a normal day, my trace file is about 10GB and log file is 2GB, and lines printed by the program or by NT activity total about 5,000 lines.

So, I'll admit it, the memory problem is not caused by NT but by me because logs and traces are stored in memory. I'll work on eliminating the unnecessary prints, but most of it is very useful for my post-trade analysis.

The suggestion is: create a NinjaScript command to flush the log and trace data from memory. You don't have to get rid of the data, just archive it and remove it from memory when this command is called. The consequence might be that my output window will go blank or I might have to deal with multiple trace files for the same day, but that's not a huge inconvenience, especially if my program is in charge of deciding when to do the flush.

Thanks much egan857, added your thoughts into our product management system under id #1799. Perhaps an option to create interval logfiles only would help as well, so for example a file for every 30 / 60 min segment of the trading session.

Again we appreciate the input and thank you helping us evolve NinjaTrader further,
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks.

I agree, incremental files would also solve the problem in my situation. It takes me a good 3-4 hours to build up so much crud that I run out of memory (I have 8GB RAM). I'm sure there's a reason the developers needed some of that information in memory, so perhaps they could prioritize the log/trace/print information and keep only what they need in memory and send the rest to a text file or whatever.

Whatever the solution is, it is an important issue to me and to many other NT users, judging from the anger in their posts. Any improvement in memory utilization would definitely improve the perception of the product.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by bortz, 11-06-2023, 08:04 AM
      47 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post aligator  
      Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post jaybedreamin