Account performance tab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Account performance tab

I'm sure I won't be the only person to have pointed this out but it just as well be reiterated
    as its a minor little niggle but never the less annoying.

Please can you correct the 'Total Net Profit' row in the Account Performance Tab to reflect commissions. This is also an issue when back testing with commissions and slippage.

Thanks.

Ben.

Hello Ben,

Thanks for taking the time to write in with this suggestion.

I'll forward your request on to our development staff for further consideration. Thanks again for your feedback!
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks Kyle - I have reviewed a lot of the previous posts on this subject and some seem to refer to API limitations - I don't think this is my problem - as the performance report is basically a work sheet and is using the amounts inputed into fields to make calculations. I have double checked everything like inc commissions in PnL is checked and values are entered for commissions in the instruments etc - my reports are showing a value for the commissions it would just seem that the math is not being done correctly as the cumulative profit and net profit read the same even though there is a figure in the commissions field.
      Can you please confirm this is an issue or am I doing something wrong or not got something set up properly as I am now doubting myself having read a lot of posts on this issue - admittedly a lot of them were for NT 6.5.

Comment

Hello,

Upon further testing, I am not seeing the same issue here. Commission does look to be deducted correctly.

Can you clarify what API limitations you're referring to?

Comment

Hi Kyle - I read in other posts something about commissions not being calculated and it was something to do with API's. It may be that I have got my wires crossed somewhere.

I have looked into it in greater detail and part of my problem has been a misunderstanding of the reporting. I was assuming that the 'cumulative profit' row should have been showing the total of the 'net profit' plus commissions.
          I note that the gross profit and loss figures have already deducted or added the commissions.
          What is the 'Cumulative profit' row for ? I can't get it to give me any number different from the Net profit row?

Comment

Hi Ben,

This statistic returns a value representing a summation of all the profits earned by all your trades. The formulas used for calculation are as follows:

Currency
            SUM(profit * quantity * point value) of all trades
            Percent
            PRODUCT(1 + profit / entry price) of all trades - 1

where profit is defined as (exit price – entry price) for long trades and as (entry price – exit price) for short trades, quantity is defined as the number of contracts traded, and point value is defined as the monetary conversion of each point (e.g. 100 for currency pairs).

Comment

'....where profit is defined as (exit price – entry price) for long trades and as (entry price – exit price) for short trades, quantity is defined as the number of contracts traded, and point value is defined as the monetary conversion of each point (e.g. 100 for currency pairs).'

if point value is the monetary conversion of each point it shouldn't include the commissions therefore the number should be different from the net profit!

Comment

Hi Ben,

Total Net Profit is simply Gross Profit - Gross Loss (- commission if enabled). The figure can differ from Cumulative Profit.

Comment

How - I understand the math that you gave me for cumulative profit but as I posted in my amended reply it appears to be using the gross profit and loss to calculate the figure not the actual point value. If it was using the point value and the actual entry and exit values it would always give us a number divisible by the point value regardless of whether 'commissions where calculated in the PnL' was checked or individual commission values were set in the instrument manager.
                  It does not do this - as I said it always produces a number that is the same as the 'net profit'.
                  There has to be an issue with were its getting the field inputs from for the calculations or I have something set up wrong that is putting the wrong values in those fields.
                  The only thing I can think of is that I have a commission value for the product I trade (ES) set up in the instrument manager AND I have 'Include commissions in PnL' checked in the options - general menu. I also have a value under the options - commission tab next to the Futures - Zen fire row.
                  Could this cause a problem.
                  Last edited by stocktraderbmp; 06-26-2012, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Hi Ben,

Re-reading your posts, I think I understand what's at issue.

Total Net Profit is always a currency based value - Cumulative Profit, on the other hand, can display in point, percentage and tick based modes. That said, the value you see presented as total net profit should always match what is displayed when cumulative profit is set to display in currency mode.

Comment

Ahhhh - right - I only ever use the Account performance in currency mode. However I have just switched it to points and the cumulative profit changed to 49.87 ! It has divided the net profit by the point value. It has not used the entry and exit prices. If I turn commissions off it gives me the point value 111.75 which would be correct but now I have no way of calculating my commissions unless I do it manually and my gross figures are un-adjusted as well.
                      I agree with you - it should use the entry and exit prices as you stated earlier, but it is not - this would make it independent of the settings for commission calculations as these would affect the 'gross' figures.
                      This way you have the option of seeing a gross figure with or without commissions. The cumulative figure according to the math you gave me, should always reflect your total gain or loss before commissions.
                      I have also tried it on a percent setting using the same numbers and despite making a profit the cumulative figure is shown as negative and is colored black.
                      So - my cumulative value in currency is the same as the net profit figure regardless of whether commission is on or off. In points mode it is the net profit divided by the point value, again this is the same regardless of whether the commission setting is turned on or off and in percent mode I have a negative number despite it being positive in all the other settings.

I am not convinced this is working as expected especially as you have given me the math for it.
                      Please will you have someone look into this - I will continue experimenting my end but if I implement the math you gave me on one trade - I don't get the same number as the field for cumulative profit. It is using the data from the other fields rather than the data from the entry and exit values.

Anyway - thanks for your time as ever - if I have completely misunderstood something please point me to a help file, but, at the risk of over repeating myself, if you implement the math you gave me - commissions should not be involved in the calculation of cumulative profit and they are at the moment.

Thanks again for your time.

Ben.

I have just

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by usazencort, Today, 01:16 AM
                      0 responses
                      1 view
                      0 likes
                      Last Post usazencort