T&S window - up and down tick option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T&S window - up and down tick option

I would like to request the ability to color code a "buy" or a "sell" based on upticks and downticks, instead of only bid/ask.

Hello JoshDance,

Could you please clarify what you mean by upticks and downticks? Are you referring to the number of ticks above/below the ask/bid price?

Happy to be of further assistance.
    JCNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_JC View Post
      Hello JoshDance,

Could you please clarify what you mean by upticks and downticks? Are you referring to the number of ticks above/below the ask/bid price?

Happy to be of further assistance.
      If the last trade caused the last price traded to increase (tick up), it is counted as buy volume. If the last trade caused the last price traded to decrease (tick down), it is counted as sell volume. If the last trade did not cause a change in price, it is counted as the same type of volume as the last type of volume counted.

Example:

1396.50 (buy)
      1396.50 (buy)
      1396.25 (sell)
      1396.00 (sell)
      1396.00 (sell)
      1395.75 (sell)
      1396.00 (buy)
      1396.00 (buy)

Comment

Josh,

Thanks for the clarification. I have sent this into development and once we have a tracking ID we will let you know.
        MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

I have highlighted fallacies in your assumptions.

You are assuming the BID/ASK did NOT move.

That could even apply to your other mentioned trades, in which I'd have to highlight everything.
          =====
          edit: below
          ==========================
          ThinkorSwim does this well in their T&S ... just green/red.

NT had a whole crap load of more options in their T&S than ToS.

Originally posted by JoshDance View Post
          If the last trade caused the last price traded to increase (tick up), it is counted as buy volume. If the last trade caused the last price traded to decrease (tick down), it is counted as sell volume. If the last trade did not cause a change in price, it is counted as the same type of volume as the last type of volume counted.

Example:

1396.50 (buy)
          1396.50 (buy)
          1396.25 (sell)
          1396.00 (sell)
          1396.00 (sell)
          1395.75 (sell)
          1396.00 (buy)
          1396.00 (buy)
          Attached Files
          Last edited by sledge; 08-09-2012, 09:23 PM. Reason: umm

Comment

Originally posted by sledge View Post
            I have highlighted fallacies in your assumptions.

You are assuming the BID/ASK did NOT move.

That could even apply to your other mentioned trades, in which I'd have to highlight everything.
            I am not assuming anything about the bid/ask moving or staying. Frequently the bid/ask will change, such that a price trades at the offer (say, 1398.00), and then in the very next transaction it trades at the bid (again, 1398.00). In this case, if the prior trade was 1397.75, then both would be counted as "buy volume" as the first transaction occurred on an uptick, and second did not downtick, hence it follows the same categorization as the prior (uptick), hence both are buy volume. If the prior trade was 1398.25, then they would both be counted as sell volume, due to the fact that 1398.00 downticked from 1398.25. The whole point is that the bid/ask do not matter in this calculation.

Attached is an example (using unfiltered IQFeed) of tonight's transactions. 98 trades at the offer, and then at the bid. But calculating using uptick/downtick instead of bid/ask, all 1398s here would be coded green. Perhaps you were confused as in my example, the order of transactions begins at the top, and ends at the bottom, whereas a T&S will usually show newer transactions at the top.

Apparently you don't understand the concept, and I'd recommend that you educate yourself about how uptick and downtick calculation works before such reply filled with so many fallacies.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by JoshDance; 08-12-2012, 10:42 PM.

Comment

By the way guys...

If you are looking for a practical reason for a motivation to do this, here is one.

For people who use a good data feed like IQFeed/Kinetick/Rithmic, the bid/ask data is quite good and accurate across the board. However, for people who have a data feed like TT, which is great for order routing and is very fast, but has absolute crap for bid/ask accuracy, then an up/down option is ideal. It will yield similar results regardless of the data feed, as long as the incoming ticks are in a somewhat consistent order (which they are for TT / IQFeed, for example).

A lot of people are aware of this option when using cumulative delta studies, and some software already offers up/down option on the T&S. Furthermore, there are quite a few people who find the up/downtick calculation to be a much better indication of real buying or selling pressure.

Thanks for considering it, I hope you will get this in; the code should be quite easy, something like:

Code:
              color = upcolor
              if (current transaction price > prior transaction price)
                 color = upcolor
              else if (current transaction price < prior transaction price)
                 color = downcolor
              else
                 // do nothing, color stays the same if price is equal to last price

Comment

Ninjatrader support, I appeal to you.
                I support the request of adding the option to calculate bid\ask as uptick\downtick in T&S. I also find this type of calculation bid\ask better. I use CQG datafeed and cluster chart with delta uptick\downtick (not just bid\ask). Please add this option in your futher versions of Ninjatrader or at least suggest this to your leaders. Let me know what is your position about this?
                Last edited by Aleksander#2; 09-28-2012, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Hello Aleksander#2,

Thank you for your suggestion on how we can improve our product. I will submit this suggestion for the enhancement of NinjaTrader to our product development team to be consideration for a future NinjaTrader release. We at NinjaTrader highly value the suggestions of users. Once I get a unique tracking ID for this request I will send it to you.

Let us know if we can be of further assistance.
                  JCNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by Haiasi, 04-25-2024, 06:53 PM
                  4 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post effraenk  
                  Started by ccbiasi, 11-23-2017, 06:06 AM
                  5 responses
                  0 likes