Walk through historical data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walk through historical data

For indicator development and strategy practice/testing, it would be incredibly helpful to be able to walk the bars forward and have indicators update as bars are loaded. The market replay is close, but I don't really care about intrabar tick data and I don't like to have to wait for candle closes when I know I probably won't care for another 10-15 candles. Furthermore, when it's used on range or renko bars, a large number can print in a very short time, especially at higher time multipliers. I believe Esignal has a feature like this, but I can't remember what it's called.

The ability to unload bars (i.e. move backward as well as forward) would be helpful too.

Hello,

Thank you for your post, I will have this submitted to development and let you know when they have logged it.

How would you propose this is handled with Ranko bars? Without intra-bar data the information calculated from them will be inaccurate.
    LanceNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by DMC123 View Post
      For indicator development and strategy practice/testing, it would be incredibly helpful to be able to walk the bars forward and have indicators update as bars are loaded. The market replay is close, but I don't really care about intrabar tick data and I don't like to have to wait for candle closes when I know I probably won't care for another 10-15 candles. Furthermore, when it's used on range or renko bars, a large number can print in a very short time, especially at higher time multipliers. I believe Esignal has a feature like this, but I can't remember what it's called.

The ability to unload bars (i.e. move backward as well as forward) would be helpful too.
      You can do that right now for indicators, but not for strategies. When I want to do it for a strategy, I write an equivalent indicator.

Comment

Koganam,

I'd love to be able to do this. Does the feature have a name so I can look it up?

Another big reason would be for experimenting with manual trading strategies. Just being able to walk through the markets and see how indicators behave in real time and what I might do or add would be beneficial.

Lance,

I'd imagine it would be identical to the way renko bars are handled presently. That is, it would need to load and parse all of the data to determine when to print bars, but it would not need to display every intrabar tick. Really, it could just be the exact same bars as are on the charts, just with the visibility changed on command (and indicators being recalculated when bar visibility changes).

Comment

Koganam,

I'd love to be able to do this. Does the feature have a name so I can look it up?

Another big reason would be for experimenting with manual trading strategies. Just being able to walk through the markets and see how indicators behave in real time and what I might do or add would be beneficial.

Lance,

I'd imagine it would be identical to the way renko bars are handled presently. That is, it would need to load and parse all of the data to determine when to print bars, but it would not need to display every intrabar tick. Really, it could just be the exact same bars as are on the charts, just with the visibility changed on command (and indicators being recalculated when bar visibility changes).
          No need to invoke. It works just as you described it.
          1. Put the indicator(s) on the chart.
          2. Scroll the chart to the hard left.
          3. Use the right-arrow key (or click the mouse on the scroll bar advance arrow) to advance one bar at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by koganam View Post
            No need to invoke. It works just as you described it.
            1. Put the indicator(s) on the chart.
            2. Scroll the chart to the hard left.
            3. Use the right-arrow key (or click the mouse on the scroll bar advance arrow) to advance one bar at a time.
            I'm actually aware of this. I'm messing around with some predictive indicators that change as data comes in, and a few of them play sounds when they're fired. To test, I'd need the indicators to be recalculated as the bars are made visible (as though they'd just printed). Right now the replay feature does this, but for this purpose I don't need to see intrabar ticks and the real time element just doesn't need to be there.

Also, I just feel more comfortable being able to see some blank space on the right.

Comment

... Also, I just feel more comfortable being able to see some blank space on the right.
              You can adjust that using the Chart Properties. I have 144 pixels as my standard white space to the right. I too feel more comfortable having the hard right edge where I can see that it is the edge of prices, not of the window. Very nice space into which to draw projections, to bring one to reality, and avoid smoking up on the hopium.

Comment

Hello,

Just wanted to update you and let you know your initial request has been logged and assigned ID #2187

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
                LanceNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by usazencort, Today, 01:16 AM
                0 responses
                1 view
                0 likes
                Last Post usazencort  
                Started by kaywai, 09-01-2023, 08:44 PM
                5 responses