More visibility for new features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More visibility for new features

Every time we get a new minor release, my heart leaps with the possibility that one of my pet issues has been resolved. Sadly, I have been disappointed the last few times, but I'm always hopeful that they will be included in the next minor release.

I understand that many of the new features are "keep the lights on" types of issues, things that aren't sexy but keep the product running smoothly. If the feature list were completely democratic, these features would never get implemented and we'd all suffer. But, it would be really nice if a certain portion (say, 40-50%) of the features in new releases were decided by the user community.

At the risk of being too democratic, could you create a page on the Support Forum with the top 100 (or 1000) feature requests so we could vote on them? You can track who has voted for each item so nobody stuffs the ballot box. You can even ask for a level of urgency (gotta have this feature, nice to have, would be detrimental to my trading, etc.). You can even limit the number of "must haves" that each person can vote for.

You can categorize these feature requests based on how hard it would be to implement - no need to be precise, just an indication if this will fit into a major release, minor release or bug fix release. If I had only 3 "must have" votes I'd put them all on the big issues, but if I had 1 "must have" for each category, some of the easy-to-implement and important items would bubble up to the top.

The current method of counting the number of suggestions is imprecise, since some of us will assume that you're already working on something because so many people have already asked for it. Or, a bunch of users may be spamming you with hundreds of similar but not identical requests.

You could even create a sticky thread for each of the top 100 items with your understanding of the situation and the solution, and everybody can then chime in if they like it or if they'd like a slightly different implementation.

This is all in addition to the existing Suggestions and Feedback forum, which is great and would be your source for determining which features make the Top 100 list.

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

At this time the suggestion list is held internally and all votes are counted.

When new features are being added this list is taken into account with all votes being weighed.

At this time all features that have been suggested won't make it into NinjaTrader 7, but are going to be considered for NinjaTrader 8.

NinjaTrader 8 is going to be a big step forward on a new code base and will allow for new features to be added easier.

I'll as well, forward this message to our Development Team to add a feature list or even further voting options within the Forums or on our site.

If you have not yet, I suggest taking the time and watching the two Preview events hosted by BigMike.
    NT 8 Preview #1
    BMT is now futures.io. Follow our new channel https://www.youtube.com/c/futuresio?sub_confirmation=1

NT 8 Preview #2
    BMT is now futures.io. Follow our new channel https://www.youtube.com/c/futuresio?sub_confirmation=1
    CameronNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by egan857 View Post
      Every time we get a new minor release, my heart leaps with the possibility that one of my pet issues has been resolved. Sadly, I have been disappointed the last few times, but I'm always hopeful that they will be included in the next minor release.

I understand that many of the new features are "keep the lights on" types of issues, things that aren't sexy but keep the product running smoothly. If the feature list were completely democratic, these features would never get implemented and we'd all suffer. But, it would be really nice if a certain portion (say, 40-50%) of the features in new releases were decided by the user community.

At the risk of being too democratic, could you create a page on the Support Forum with the top 100 (or 1000) feature requests so we could vote on them? You can track who has voted for each item so nobody stuffs the ballot box. You can even ask for a level of urgency (gotta have this feature, nice to have, would be detrimental to my trading, etc.). You can even limit the number of "must haves" that each person can vote for.

You can categorize these feature requests based on how hard it would be to implement - no need to be precise, just an indication if this will fit into a major release, minor release or bug fix release. If I had only 3 "must have" votes I'd put them all on the big issues, but if I had 1 "must have" for each category, some of the easy-to-implement and important items would bubble up to the top.

The current method of counting the number of suggestions is imprecise, since some of us will assume that you're already working on something because so many people have already asked for it. Or, a bunch of users may be spamming you with hundreds of similar but not identical requests.

You could even create a sticky thread for each of the top 100 items with your understanding of the situation and the solution, and everybody can then chime in if they like it or if they'd like a slightly different implementation.

This is all in addition to the existing Suggestions and Feedback forum, which is great and would be your source for determining which features make the Top 100 list.
      Fantastic idea. I am jealous that I did not think of it first.

Comment

Hi Cameron,

I understand why you choose to prioritize the items as you do, and I hope you guys reconsider this request at some point in the future.

Thank you very much for the video links. Just finished the first one, and NT8 looks awesome. This is the kind of transparency that keeps your user base happy. It's hard to say based on a demo, but it looks like my three biggest concerns have been addressed, and you are going to make other improvements that I had not even considered but will definitely use. Congratulations to you guys in support and to the guys in development. You're doing great work!

I am waiting with worms on my tongue (baited breath) for the next release!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by judysamnt7, 03-13-2023, 09:11 AM
        4 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post DynamicTest  
        Started by ScottWalsh, Today, 06:52 PM
        4 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post ScottWalsh