Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Import from TXT or Excel to NT as indicator, instrument etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Import from TXT or Excel to NT as indicator, instrument etc.

Hello dear NT. PLEASE! Let it be! As I wrote earlier in some posts before. Let us use some specific data that are not provided by any data provider.

Now it's possible only via creating new instrument without opportunity to connect to data providers because of lack of provider of this specific data, and this lead to impossible of updating any data. This works after 'Dances with a tambourine".

PLEASE add this as one of your future opportunity. I think I'm not alone in using individual indicators, that use some specific data.

So, it would be great if NT will support import from Excel or TXT. Dynamical support of this function will be a SUPER PLUS.

Thank you.

Hello alexstox,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this feedback and suggestion.

I will forward this to our development staff for further consideration and will provide a tracking number tomorrow.
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Alex, which data would that for example be, would you have a scenario in mind you could share? What I don't follow is if the provider would not offer the data, then how would it be udpated? Just manually then from your import of an csv file?
      BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Yes. You are right. Maybe something like Interactive Broker has? They provide Excel API solution. Well, I don't think you should do so complicated thing.

1. But at least opportunity to have two-way communication NT-Excel. For example, I have some portfolio in Excel or complex indicator from fundamental data. Now it's fully impossible for me to use it as indicator.

So, I add it as STOCK, than update major instrument, than turn off any provider connection, than add my specific indicator (which is stock in this case). And ONLY than can analyze these instruments BUT ONLY offline.

2. Second problem that came from paragraph 1) is complicated way to analyze these instruments. Because I CAN'T ADD any instrument to Strategy Analyzer chart. So, no way to analyze major instruments with own instruments (even other from NT list).

As solving of this support team suggest to add strategy in the new existing chart with all instruments and indicators. BUT than I need to Tools-->Options-->Data-->uncheck Get data from server. And than only offline analyzing...

3. Any change in own data and than in indicators lead to "dance with tambourine": update TXT file, update data in NT via import of data, reload all this (I simplified this via changing "Data series --> Days to load" of instrument), update major instrument, click of all messages about "unknown instrument"...

Oh my God, I'm crazy!!!

Well, I think it should be a bridge between NT and TXT and Excel.
        Maybe you should create a voting for this issues? Maybe I'm along crazy guy who don't want to use SMAs, Bollingers and ADXs and etc? I think this feature will transform NT to "NT laboratory", because TXT could be as bridge from any other programs, Excel is well-known. I want you become the best because I see how hardly you work! And your great support team.

Data updating in source file is user's problem, data updating in NT - as I wrote before. I'm sorry, I'm not programmer. I used IB TWS and their Excel API. But there are many things that NT should not use in bridge because of wide/interesting/understandable NT script language. The most useful thing - opportunity to update data from Excel to NT and vice-versa. In NT data will be received and processed via "Indicator", "Stock" and "Future" as it happen now. "Indicator" also will be as storage of data, that could be used in further processes in NT script.
        Last edited by alexstox; 10-13-2013, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Thanks very much for the kind words alexstox and your detailed clarifications what approaches you wish to work with NinjaTrader. I now have a much better understanding and can confirm those thoughts are in our enhancement tracking lists in product management, your vote here has been noted as well. There was an approach here shared in the forum by a fellow member to interact with Excel via the Interop Dll's offered, however that approach is heavily programming oriented and would not cover all the points you had. Thanks again and have a great week.

Comment

Will it cover opportunity to get some data from excel? For example, to built own indicator in NT from data in excel? Or at least load data to NT for further actions?

Comment

Yes alexstox, I have those points added into the suggestion noted - the tracking id in our system would be #1453.

For the thread I was referring to and techniques potentially interesting to your use, please check into this link for the discussion and files - http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...t=36938&page=6

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Bertrand View Post
                Yes alexstox, I have those points added into the suggestion noted - the tracking id in our system would be #1453.

For the thread I was referring to and techniques potentially interesting to your use, please check into this link for the discussion and files - http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...t=36938&page=6
                Thanks, I have read this. Unfortunately, it only import to Excel. I need import to NT from Excel.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by AveryFlynn, Today, 04:57 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post AveryFlynn  
                Started by RubenCazorla, 08-30-2022, 06:36 AM
                3 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post PaulMohn