Chart vertical adjustment and fixed Y scale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chart vertical adjustment and fixed Y scale

I'd like to be able to set the Y-axis to a fixed range that will stay the same regardless how I move the chart. I also want to be able to move it vertically (which you have planned for v7, I know) and have the Y-range stay the same.

This is my first post here. Thanks for a great product.

cheers,
    tobbe

Hi Tobbe,

I will forward your suggestions to our development team and ask them if they can add this to the list of future considerations for the software.

Thank you for your feedback.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Tobe,

Pepe programed a fix that will accomplish what you want until NT7:

-Philip

EDIT: That thread got deleted, here is the Vertical Scale indicator.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by pdawg; 03-26-2008, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pdawg View Post
        Tobe, Pepe programed a fix that will accomplish what you want until NT7: ...
        Philip, thanks! Great learning example, too.

Comment

This is definitively a must have for NT7!
          Pepes vertical scale does the job for now but it is not perfect solution, because moving or changing drawn lines or objects is a pain for not tell totaly impossible, so the unic solution is to delate the line and draw a new one which is not conwinient at all.

Comment

Howdy fellow NinjaTraders,

Pepe should receive an award for this indicator, it's simple yet effective.
            I've made a few small changes.
            +/- keys increment the current scaling without accessing the indicator menu.
            scroll lock toggles between mouse enabled and disabled.
            shift+scroll toggles between auto scroll, adjusting the center if the last price is outside of the view. It's also possible to keep position of the current price constant by using CenterPrice either on bar close or on every tick the latter requires AutoScroll to be enabled. If price shouldn't be centered on AutoScroll a gap to the edge of the chart can be set.

It's necessary to disable AutoScale on all other indicators for it to work properly as noted in another thread. AutoScrolling may consume a lot of CPU so check your benchmarks and decide if it is really worth it.

Sometimes pressing the key is ignored, just repeat until the changes take effect.

One thing to consider is that if you also scale by dragging the price axis (how you'd do it without the indicator) the indicator will no longer change the view correctly. The price axis should be scaled to the smallest range possible.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Rollins; 07-17-2008, 10:48 AM. Reason: Disposing the listeners wasn't working, forgot override, switched +/- was counter-intuitive

Comment

Rollins,

Thanks for passing along the updated file. Great work. Where was this file found? I did a search in the Indicator section of the forums and could not find it.

Thanks again

Comment

RTB,

I found the thread after I finished my work on the indicator, Pepe solved the dragging problem a little differently in his version 2.
                Unfortunately from time to time the AutoScroll seems to tax the cpu a little bit more than I like, I am sure the solution in NT7 will handle this much better.

Cheers

Comment

I'd just like to say that NT's "forced autoscale" is the only really big problem I have with the software, and really the only thing keeping me from buying at this point. I would love to see something like what you get with Esignal, where you can choose to have the chart scaled automatically to fit the visible price bars (like what NT does now), or unlock it and move the chart freely on both axes with scaling under full user control.

I've heard and earnestly hope that this will be available in NT7...

Comment

AutoScale on all objects is capable of being turned off. In terms of the y-axis there will be improvements to this in NT7.
                    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Another short-term solution to fixed scaling

The link to the solution below is broken, so I'm not sure how it is done, so apologies if this is the same solution.

To create an approximate fixed scale *for a given chart view* create an indicator with invisible lines at the top and bottom of what I want to see. Then add that indicator to your chart or strategy and set auto-scale to true (assuming you don't mind that). You can use a multiple of the high and low of the price in a range to get values that at least keep the scale roughly consistent for a given range.

It doesn't have the cool key control features which Rollins describes below, but on the up side, it is very simple to use and change.

This is an easy indicator which I'll clean up and provide if someone asks. Haven't tested it on every market, etc.

Comment

That's another solution to the problem but it has at least 2 drawbacks:

- The range of the chart can never be lower than the range of the price action.
                        - you'd have to move the lines constantly, but it could be done like in the indicator using the mouse

I hope NT7's implementation will be better than my modified version of Pepe's work but I'm pleased with it right now.

Comment

There is No Scaling abilities

There is No Scaling abilities ( you should follow TradeStations abilities on scaling listed below)

TradeStation has Scale Settings for combinations of
                          Automatic Scaling (Date Range on Screen) or (Entire DateRange)
                          Subgraph Margin Scaling (Lower%) (Upper%)
                          Fixed Scaling (Minimum) (Maximum)
                          Movement Size Scaling (Qty Inches) = (Number points)
                          Custom Axis Increments (points)
                          Custom Decimal places (Number)

Necessary Scaling for my charts
                          1a. Scale price axis to a fixed increment example: 4ticks = 1/2" regardless of the date range, and have it fit and center within Subgraph-1 automatically.
                          1b. Scale my MACD-BBs Indicator to SubGraph-1 with a scale of Upper Margin of 60% and a Lower Margin of 1%
                          1c. Scale my CCI group in Subgraph-2 to Show Up to the Max 225 and to the Minimum -225

Comment

NinjaTrader 7 will include enhancements in the area of scaling.
                            RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by Specterx View Post
                              I'd just like to say that NT's "forced autoscale" is the only really big problem I have with the software, and really the only thing keeping me from buying at this point. I would love to see something like what you get with Esignal, where you can choose to have the chart scaled automatically to fit the visible price bars (like what NT does now), or unlock it and move the chart freely on both axes with scaling under full user control.

I've heard and earnestly hope that this will be available in NT7...

Seconding this request.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM
                              166 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post sidlercom80  
                              Started by thread, Yesterday, 11:58 PM
                              0 responses
                              1 view