Suggestion: Rewrite your manual!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestion: Rewrite your manual!

Your manual is great in some parts but completely rubbish in other parts.

I'll give you one example. Take someone completely new to NT. He has opened a trade without setting a stop or target. He wants to now set a stop. Apparently there are several ways it can be done and he is directed to this page:

The title of that page says: "Adding and Removing Targets"

Except that it ain't. It's only about adding and removing targets if you've got an active ATM.

Back again to the mindset you're dealing with - someone new to NT. You seriously think that he first needs to learn about Advanced Trade Management before he has learned to do the basics? You think that it's intuitive and a route he is going to default towards? He's going to skip that and keep looking for an easy way to set a stop.

There is nothing on the above page - and no link to information elsewhere - on how to set a stop if he has "none" in the ATM strategy field. In other words, what you're saying to newbies is that you can't do even the most basic tasks in NT unless you learn Advanced Trade Management (and strategies!)

So let's find a way to add/remove targets using "basic entry":

Guess what?!

If you have an active ATM Strategy displayed in the Basic Entry window, you can add or remove targets
    Arrgh! Where in your manual does it explain how to do just the basics of setting a stop without getting involved in learning "advanced" stuff?

What's the use of a manual designed only for people who already know how to use the software?

PS: Using a frame based layout for your manuals means that people trying to link to a particular section end up linking to the manual homepage rather than the individual frame covering their question. Frame based navigation went out in the nineties. It might be worth changing that as well.

Hello Instamess,

Thank you for your feedback. I understand the title could be misleading. However it does refer to targets - profit targets - and not a stop order. This help guide page should not have been provided if the user asks about a stop order.

You would submit a stop market or stop limit order at the price you like. A buy order if you are in a short position and a sell order if long. You would find instructions to submit orders at the following link.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Which answer misses the point entirely!

Comment

Originally posted by Instamess View Post
        Which answer misses the point entirely!
        I do not see how it does. In another thread I directed you to that page, and specifically to the third section from the bottom of the page. That section talks specifically about placing protective orders when you already have a position.

Using the OCO Function to Bracket an Open Position
        If you have an open position without an ATM strategy attached, and you wish to add limit and stop orders to protect the position follow these steps:

Set the ATM strategy in the ATM Strategy selection drop down box to a value of <None>
        Right click in the SuperDOM and enable OCO order placement by selecting the menu name "OCO Order"
        Then place a limit order where you want to exit at a profit
        Then place a stop order where you want to exit at a loss
        Lastly, right click again and select the menu item "OCO Order" to disable the OCO order placement

Now you have a target and a stop placed protecting your open position, and when one of these orders is filled the other will be cancelled automatically.
        Last edited by koganam; 03-04-2014, 08:20 AM.

Comment

koganam, we are talking two different issues here. Your assistance in the other thread was in reply to a support question I raised there and which is now answered. The link you provided there was an attempt to help solve that problem. Many thanks for all that, but ...

This thread is a suggestion for NT to improve their manual, not an attempt to get a problem solved. I would request you forget about my specific problem in the other thread and re-read the OP to understand the point I'm making about how the manual can be misleading and confusing to a new user looking for a simple solution to perform an everyday activity.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by junkone, 04-21-2024, 07:17 AM
          10 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH  
          Started by tsantospinto, 04-12-2024, 07:04 PM
          6 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post tsantospinto