Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big improvement of backtest parameters order

Hi,
    I would like to not user-friendly representation of the parameter in the backtest results.

Example:
    It is common, that strategy has many parameters. It looks like this:

In backtest/optimization results, the parameters are represented like this:
    Problem is readability of these text values.

As you see, when one wants to look what's the vale of some optimized parameters,
    it is really detective and uncomfortable work. One is not easily able to read the value
    assigned to the parameter in the optimization.

I undestand, that sorting by ABC produces predictable order, but is is really not logical
    nor useful in this context. It requires amount of detective and annoying work each time
    user wants to extract some value.

Important is to understand - that current ABC order of the exported parameters is really not useful
    for human reading and interpretation of the backtest results. The related parameters are not grouped together (as in Properties window), which results in extreme chaotic bunch of unrelated (ABC sorted) parameters.

I suggest 2 possible elegant solutions:
    Solution A:
    Use the same order as is in the Properties window, so the user can easily locate the proper parameter depending on simple look. If the parameter is 1st in Properties window,
    then it is 1st in the output parameters.

Solution B:
    Use the key-value format, where key are individual properties and value its value.
    The should be also exported in the order of how they are visible in the Properties window.

The solution B is superior above A, because, it has both benefits:
    1. User can easily locate parameter by visual look - for example 1st parameter in Property window will be also the parameter in the output.
    2. User can easily verify, that he is looking at the right one parameter, because it has
    3. name of the parameter before the value:

Example of the key-value format:
    AtrCandleBodyIndicator_Period = 10 / Bar_CloseNearExtreme_InPercentOfHeight = 65 / ScaleIn_UseFixedStoploss = false / ... and so on...

We should be focused on achieving the 2 primary goals:
    1. easy orientation (pairing name of the property with its value)
    2. quick visual matching parameters in the Properties window with the parameter in the text output (to know, which one(s) should be changed to improve backtest results)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by misova; 10-29-2014, 06:15 AM.

Another important note:
    Please use the display attribute of the property, if it is specified:
    Gui.Design.DisplayName("xxx"),
    if it is specified, and not the hidden property itself, so all the parameters can be visually matched.

Also, do not forget to remove the initial "\t" characters there, that are ofthen used to force some required order in the Group of Properties.

Remember, that the goal is to match results in text output with the visual properties in the window.
    Last edited by misova; 10-29-2014, 06:16 AM.

Comment

Hello misova,

Thank you for your suggestion. I will forward your feedback to development to put it on the list of possible future enhancements.
      JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanx.

Please mark this as with higher priority in context of user-friendly issues.
        It is important because it has negative influence in the daily use when programming strategies
        and evaluating the results. I have to fight with this problem 10x a day - each time,
        the optimization finishes and looking for specific values of the optimized parameters.

Good is, that it is not intrusive change:
        It is just about exporting the text in different way: instead of first outputting values and then property names (as it works now), there will be outputted many of key=values in the order of (1. sorted by group, then 2. sorted by its name (or Display attribute, if it exists).

The whole change is in the algorithm, how the text value is built.
        It has no impact on any parts of the functionality.
        It is very non-intrusive change, that just improves representation/readability of the results.

Comment

Originally posted by misova View Post
          Thanx.

Please mark this as with higher priority in context of user-friendly issues.
          It is important because it has negative influence in the daily use when programming strategies
          and evaluating the results. I have to fight with this problem 10x a day - each time,
          the optimization finishes and looking for specific values of the optimized parameters.

Good is, that it is not intrusive change:
          It is just about exporting the text in different way: instead of first outputting values and then property names (as it works now), there will be outputted many of key=values in the order of (1. sorted by group, then 2. sorted by its name (or Display attribute, if it exists).

The whole change is in the algorithm, how the text value is built.
          It has no impact on any parts of the functionality.
          It is very non-intrusive change, that just improves representation/readability of the results.
          I agree with all your points: I just never got around to suggesting this myself to NT. In the meantime, use a spreadsheet, like I do.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by George21, Today, 10:07 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post George21  
          Started by Stanfillirenfro, Today, 07:23 AM
          8 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post Stanfillirenfro