Support for Mac OS Leopard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Folks need help.

I'm running Mac OSX, VMware 2.0.2, Windows XP - Everything patched to the latest releases.

NT 6.0 or NT 6.5 will not run on my mahcine! In Bootcamp or Bootcamp partition using Vmware.

Other programs run just fine, like QuoteTracker, Strategy Runner, etc.

Anybody else experiencing this problem?

Problem Details-
    Nt 6.5 installs fine.
    When you run Nt 6.5 the splash screen goes all the way to "intializing database" then NT 6.5 seems to quit!

I've reinstalled multiple times, cleaned the registry + files multiple times. Still no joy? I'm a pretty experienced user, so very confused. Please help.

Comment

It seems NinjaTrader cannot acces the database correctly.

Can you please check the location of My Documents-->NinjaTrader 6.5-->db-->NinjaTrader(mdb). Could it be installed on a network drive?
      JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

still no joy

Everythings on the local machine, no network drives ,etc.

I've attached my trace + log file, if that helps.
        Attached Files

Comment

Anybody from Ninja Trader wanna help??

I understand that you do not officially support Mac's(bootcamp) running Windows, but there are a LOT of us. PLEASE HELP.

Comment

alphakhan,

We are not Apple virtual machine experts, but if you are using VMWare please be sure to do this:
            • VMWare -> Settings -> System Settings -> Sharing -> Mirrored Folders -> Uncheck “Documents”
            I would not know if not doing this setting would impact your boot camp partition or not. Have you tried a pure VMWare partition also?
            Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Stop The Pain,bring Speedy Mac Os

Hey NT team

Nice work at the New York Expo, your team said NT will soon work "native" on MAC OS X 10,11 etc...

I've noticed that running on parallel even with fastest cpu and "fixed" 2 gig memory , NT lags when there is any real news movement, double soo with even one or two indicator-algo running. Bootcamp / Parallel makes tick trading or scalping virtually impossible or next to very dangerous.

Will we get a decent MAC OS release?

thanks guys,

your NT customer

Comment

NinjaTrader,

If it is true the NT team is working towards native operation in the Mac OS... that is BRILLIANT, FANTASTIC, SUPERB news!

Just voicing, as it were, my hearty encouragement of any steps taken in this direction.

Shannon

Originally posted by testjunktest2 View Post
                Hey NT team

Nice work at the New York Expo, your team said NT will soon work "native" on MAC OS X 10,11 etc...

I've noticed that running on parallel even with fastest cpu and "fixed" 2 gig memory , NT lags when there is any real news movement, double soo with even one or two indicator-algo running. Bootcamp / Parallel makes tick trading or scalping virtually impossible or next to very dangerous.

Will we get a decent MAC OS release?

thanks guys,

your NT customer

Comment

Originally posted by Maldoror View Post
                  Yes, NT for Mac OS X would be awesome. There is no useful Trading Software for Mac OS X so far, there is a market niche.

i use Thinkorswim on Mac,it`s even more professional then NJ!

Comment

Hi

NT 6.5 runs very well in a VirtualBox virtual machine. VirtualBox is free and available from http://www.virtualbox.org/ and the best thing is it runs on MACs too.

The creation of a virtual machine is very simple, although it can appear a bit mysterious the first time you do it.

Below is a link to step by step guides on how to set up a Windows virtual machine on MAC OS. Just choose the guide that is applicable to your situation (XP or Vista or Windows 7 on MAC OS).

I hope this helps you
                    Last edited by NinjaTrader_JoshP; 04-13-2009, 01:29 PM. Reason: Please do not post bittorrent links. Thank you.

Comment

To get the records straight, we have not mentioned anything about native OSX support. You guys are free to try virtual machines, but we have not fully tested all aspects of it.

As far as performance goes, for sure you will have some hits since you are splitting your computer's resources among two OS environments.
                      Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Josh View Post
                        To get the records straight, we have not mentioned anything about native OSX support. You guys are free to try virtual machines, but we have not fully tested all aspects of it.

As far as performance goes, for sure you will have some hits since you are splitting your computer's resources among two OS environments.
                        Guys,
                        I'm with Josh on this. I'm running Bootcamp on the latest macbook pro. Every so often when I try to get away running VMWare 2.04 under OSX and the performance hit is ridiculous. After all, if you are going to risk thousands of $$ on a trade, why would you add to the risk of a slower computer?

On the otherhand, if I was taking the opposite of your trades, I would want you to run your system on the slowest computer possible, including a Pentium 1. I would have a 10 times trading edge.

Anyway, have fun, I'm sure ninjatrader will run on just about anything given the programming talents we have on this forum.

Paul
                        Last edited by paulchow2k; 04-13-2009, 07:48 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

My experience with NT and VM's

I've been using NT with Zen-Fire in a VM with XP for almost a year or so, on a 2nd gen white macbook. I'm glad to hear there are so many folks doing this now, maybe we can help each other out.

I started with Parallels 2.5, and Ninja ran very well, but I had a couple of VM crashes while using NT and it seemed like parallels was the problem. I upgraded to 3.0 and had the same problems, so I tried VMware Fusion and it has been rock solid, extremely stable, so I ditched parallels a long time ago for Fusion. I aslo prefer fusion for features and interface. It's much cleaner integration with OSX IMO.

For months I used fusion it and had excellent performance with NT, only seeing CPU problems at the most extreme times in the market for ES trading, which was once maybe in a week or two and during times that I was not trading anyway.

After 3-4 months of using fusion I started to notice cpu performance problems would come more often, and it is directly related to more data coming from the Zen-Fire ES feed. Eventually I would see slow downs every day, and now it's too the point where it's not reliable enough for live trading. It's super stable, but there will be lag in the OS and XP will freeze the mouse for a few seconds. I have used Fusion with a bootcamp partition and also created a new XP file based VM. Both are seeing this problem. If I boot natively in bootcamp, performance is fine, no cpu problems, so it's obviously Fusion.

Since I had no problem like this with Parallels, and for the first months of using Fusion (I started originally when 2.0 was Beta), and since other folks with more powerful systems are reporting similar things, I suspect that the newer releases of 2.x fusion are causing this.

I did find some reports of folks saying they went back to fusion 1.x because of performance issues with 2.x.

Anyway, I'm curious to compare notes with others. I much prefer running in a VM, so I would like to find a solution. I'm curious to try out version 7 when it's released. I may try out Parallels version 4, which is reportedly much faster than fusion, but because of the stability problems before I'm hesitant.

Cheers,
                          brick

Comment

I had the same problems with Parallels, and ditched it for Fusion 2.0.5.
                            I am running the Windows 7 beta, and have not noticed any performance problems.
                            I have two VM's running simultaneously, one with eSignal, and one with ZenFire and IB.
                            My machine is a dual quad core with 16GB memory and 3 x 24" monitors.
                            However, it would be really great to have NT native on OSX!!

Comment

Running Fusion as well with Windows 7 & NT 6.5

Windows 7 feels much like XP in my experience and is a huge step forward away from the crappy Vista.

Running it on an Imac 2.8Mhz, 4Gb.
                              VM: 2Gb with Windows7
                              In my experience it is a bit tight running it on an iMac. However I'm looking to upgrade in a couple of months to a Pro that will do the trick :-)

I'm also very much interested in having NT run native on OSX. It shouldn't be that extreme to port it. All the logica can be compiled straight away from one system to the other os as I presume it is written in a common language. The UI would be more of a hassle I presume..

Just my 5cnts

Wessel

Comment

Red Alert! Mac Geeks everywhere! Just kidding.

Let me start by asking a serious question. Isn't the purpose of having a tool such as NinjaTrader to empower the trader by giving them an edge and protect their capital? To let them focus on trading rather than Operating Systems testing?

So those traders posting on this thread must have got their trading addressed and making a fairly successful income then? If that's true, then are we trying to get NinjaTrader stable on a VM such as VMware or parallels?

I mean if I had $ on a trade, I would want all the stability/speed I can get. Isn't reliability & stability important while trading?

I've played with VM such as VMware and parallels in trading tools and in the end, just turn my macbook pro into a WinXP machine with bootcamp. It's been very stable since Jan 2009.

The only thing I concern nowadays is watching the market depth & tape read. Working on my trading edge which is what the focus should be. Protecting Capital and growing my account.

Last thing I want is to fix the Mac while my trade is going. That's a sure way to loose control of the situation.

Good luck to all Mac OS X users running some sort of VM. All trading tools are resource intensive. The VM is not cut out or design for that. Running word and excel.. maybe. Trading with real $... I don't think so. Cheaper to buy 2 computers than loosing 10 points on ES.

regards

Paul

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by agclub, Yesterday, 08:57 PM
                                2 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post agclub
                                by agclub

Started by cre8able, 04-17-2024, 04:16 PM