Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feature Request - Update Indicator xxx Seconds Before Bar Close

Hello,

I am using a power hungry paintbar indicator. To conserve resources I have it set to Calculate on Bar Close however I would like to have the option to know a few seconds in advance of the bar close what its reading is. A very cool option would be to have a user setting, like a live preview window of time, that would cause the indicator to go live or update on every tick beginning X number of seconds before the close of the bar, then when the bar closes the indicator would switch back to Update on Bar Close Mode to save resources until X number of seconds before the close of the next bar.

As an example, if I am running a 2 minute bar chart and want to know the live state of the indicator 10 seconds before the close, I could enter 10 seconds in an option box, the indicator would be dormant for 1 min and 50 seconds, it would then run live or update on every tick for 10 second until the close of the bar then switch back to dormant, until the next live preview time ...

Do you think this could be an added feature?

Thanks,
    Stryder

Range bars don't have a time limit - so no way to know when 10 seconds is up.

Have you tried to contact the developer of the indicator to reduce the number of updates? That would be easiest.

At any rate - Is your rig fast enough? What are you running? Time to upgrade?

Comment

Hello Stryder,

I will forward your suggestion to development to put it on the list of possible future enhancements. Thank you for your feedback.
      JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by sledge View Post
        Range bars don't have a time limit - so no way to know when 10 seconds is up.

Have you tried to contact the developer of the indicator to reduce the number of updates? That would be easiest.

At any rate - Is your rig fast enough? What are you running? Time to upgrade?
        sledge,
        Thanks for your post. I realize this would work primarily with time based bars, although for range bars of significant size it could kick in if the remaining range dropped to X number of ticks.

I was thinking this could be a relatively simple line of code and could be tied to the bartimer.

if remaining time in bar > XX seconds (user defined) then CalculateOnBarClose = True else CalculateOnBarClose = False;

I haven't suggested this to the developer. Right now all instances of the indicator are set to update on bar close. I run 2 workspaces each with 6 or 7 charts and most charts running multiple data series at different time intervals. The indicator may be running on 2-4 time series in each chart with each running only certain features of the indicator. At any rate, no, my computer is not fast enough. I have a 2.90GHz AMD Phenom II quad core with 6GB Ram running Win7 64 bit. Once it is up and running NJ7 runs 4% to 9% CPU. If I update on each tick in a 30 second chart the CPU usage rises to 8% to 22%. Since the machine is a quad core, 25% is all that NJ7 can draw in live mode as it is single thread code. I would open a 3rd workspace but that kills the Global Cross Hair. Even now I have terrible problems with flickering and if I open a 3rd workspace it starts lagging behind the mouse movement. I have tried all the suggested optimization but am still limited.

Can you recommend a better computer setup?

Thanks,
        Stryder

Comment

You can experience slow and unresponsive behavior in NinjaTrader if you have many charts, indicators and other windows opened depending on market volatility as well.

The 'Calculate on bar close' setting for indicators can be important. If set to False, the indicator will be calculated on each incoming tick. During high volatlity this can be very CPU intensive especially if the indicator makes complicated calculations. Please set it to True in the Indicator menu and the indicator will only be calculated at the end of each price bar.

If you have workspaces opened in the background which you do not use, we suggest to close such workspaces. Please go to Control Center-->File-->Workspaces and check what workspaces are listed below 'Save Workspace As'. The workspace with the checkmark is the workspace opened on your monitor. Any additional workspaces listed, are opened in the background.

Please select a workspace without the checkmark. Subsequently, go to Control Center-->File-->Workspaces-->Close Workspace. Repeat this procedure until only 1 workspace is opened. More tips and suggestions to improve the performance of NinjaTrader can be found at the link below.

You can find our installation guide at the link below, which will list the minimum requirements to run NinjaTrader 7.

Above and beyond this, we have no recommendations regarding processor type and RAM aside from suggesting the fastest processor and most RAM you are able to find.
          JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello, Stryder

May be this indicator can help.

You can add there more functionality.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by fx.practic; 02-05-2015, 03:15 PM.
            fx.practic
            NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - fx.practic

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by pvincent, 06-23-2022, 12:53 PM
            14 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post Nyman
            by Nyman

Started by TraderG23, 12-08-2023, 07:56 AM