Use standard CSV format for historical data import

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use standard CSV format for historical data import

Importing historical data is a bit of a hassle with the proprietary format - merged date/time field and ';' used to separate other fields.

It would be a nice touch if you could use the industry standard CSV format (',' delineator instead of ';') and separate fields for date and time for tick and minute data import.

Much thanks.

- Iggy

Thanks for your suggestion. We'll add it to the list of future considerations.

Note: This by no means is industry standard, since ',' is the decimal sign on all European number formats.

Comment

Good point about the use of commas as deliniators. Hadn't thought of that.

Actually the use of the semi-colon isn't that big of a deal since a global search and replace can be used to fix that when preparing a .csv file for import into NT.

The more difficult process is combining the date field and the time field from most of the historical data suppliers into the single field used by NT.

If you could break the date/time field into two separate fields the way most data suppliers format their files, that would make preparing historical data for import into NT much easier.

Thanks for taking the time to consider this suggestion.

NT ROCKS! Keep up the great work!

- Iggy

Comment

Thanks for your suggestion. We'll add it to the list of future considerations.

Comment

+1 for CSV support, its quite common in trading programs. Metastock would be nice too.

Comment

+1. I think being able to import a standard format is easier and important. I know how to chance the data but I will have to do that every time I want to import which takes up a lot of my time.

Comment

Just wondering if this is planned for the future. This is a two year old thread and NT said they would consider changing it.

I just received a bunch of historical data and it's in mm/dd/yy,hhmmss,open,high,low,close,volume format.

Changing the commas to semicolons is trivial. Changing the date/time to a single field is not.

Comment

Hello gusmahler,

Welcome to the NinjaTrader Support Forums.

In the mean time you may want to check out one of the many conversion tools available. You can search online using a string similar to ‘ASCII converter data’

Prior to importing to NinjaTrader, make sure you will have the data in the proper format:

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
                ChipNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by gusmahler View Post
                  Just wondering if this is planned for the future. This is a two year old thread and NT said they would consider changing it.

I just received a bunch of historical data and it's in mm/dd/yy,hhmmss,open,high,low,close,volume format.

Changing the commas to semicolons is trivial. Changing the date/time to a single field is not.
                  you can built your custom ImportType for the same.

see this http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...catid=6&id=378

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by frankthearm, Today, 09:08 AM
                  5 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post NinjaTrader_Clayton  
                  Started by jeronymite, 04-12-2024, 04:26 PM
                  3 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post jeronymite