Saved templates, not including instrument link

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saved templates, not including instrument link

would like the option not to save the instrument link with modifying and saving templates, does this occur?

I think this is the case, as to why when I re-saved certain templates and re-applied them to existing charts of varying instruments it also changes the instruments fx pair..

it also saves the name of the tab from the chart the template was designed after, so if the tab name was EURUSD.5, and I choose to open a GBPAUD and apply a template to it, it still labels the tab EURUSD.5, and that`s not the template name by the way, i`d rather it label the tab GBPAUD...

would be nice to also save time frames with templates or at least the option to do so in a template properties/options dialog.
    Last edited by jitterbug; 10-19-2015, 10:27 PM.

Hello jitterbug,

Chart templates do not save the instrument that is selected in the chart. Are you able to reproduce this consistently for a chart template? If so, could you please send me this chart template. They can be found at Documents-->NinjaTrader 8-->templates-->Chart.

The 'Save As' window shows "ChartTemplate" in the name field on my end. I do not see them numbered for the tab that is used. Am I correct you save a chart template by right clicking the chart and selecting Templates-->Save As?

I will forward the suggestion to support the option to save time frames in chart templates to development.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Jason

I dont think I explained it clearly.

I am not able to reproduce the situation I get in my main workspace in a new workspace,

leave this with me and if I have further issues I will attempt a better explanation thanks Jason.

Comment

The suggestion to support the option to save time frames in chart templates has been added to the list and is assigned to SFT-824.

Comment

Ok here it is again, I saved a template with indicators from a 5 minute EURUSD, then applied that template to an AUDUSD 5 minute chart, the template was applied, and the tab changed its name to EURUSD.

AUDUSD is the data feed
          Click image for larger version

Name:	AUDUSD.5.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	2.2 KB
ID:	876552

EURUSD.5 is what the other chart tab was named (not the name of the template).
          but when I applied the template, it changed the AUDUSD tab to be named the same as the other charts tab.

this tab "was" called AUDUSD.5, but its been changed since applying the template to the name of the EURUSD tab which was "EURUSD.5"

Name:	EURUSD.5template.PNG
Size:	2.0 KB
ID:	876551

fyi that EURUSD chart which the template was created from had data linking applied.

Comment

Am I correct you have two separate chart windows with several tabs. You save the template in an EURUSD tab and you apply it in an AUDUSD tab in the other chart?

Can you please create two new charts with both just one tab. Add an indicator in one chart and save a template. Load the template in the other chart. Does it change the name?

Comment

Tab names change when applying template from other renamed tabs

Jason all the tabs are in one chart window, I have 15 tabs in one chart window. (which is why I made the recco for tab sets drop down menu previously

Here I create a new chart with some indicators & save it.

Name:	Sampletemplate1.PNG
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	876579

I create a separate tab with different instrument.

Name:	sampletemplate2.PNG
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	876580

when I apply the template from the first tab to the 2nd tab, the name of the 2nd tab does not change. That`s ok.

Name:	sampletemplate3.PNG
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	876581

However, if I go back to the first tab EURUSD, and rename it EURUSD.RENAME, then add another indicator and save the template.

Name:	sampletemplate4.PNG
Size:	2.3 KB
ID:	876582

and apply it to the 2nd tab, the name of the tab on the 2nd chart changes to match the name on the first chart. However the instrument itself and time frame remain the same (can`t show it here limited to 5 upload pics). It`s only the tab name that changes.

Name:	sampletemplate5.PNG
Size:	3.0 KB
ID:	876583

so from that experiment it seems the issue only occurs if you change the default name of the original tab the template was created from.

Comment

This is as expected behavior. I can reproduce it on my end. Chart templates save the tab name. When you save a chart template, it will save the tab name (not the instrument selected, just the tab name). If you load the chart template in another tab, it will show the same tab name as when you saved the chart template.

Comment

ok thanks for explaining Jason.

Can I make a suggestion to product to not do this? It genuinely is annoying...

I don`t want my saved tab names on my different charts to change to the tab name the template was saved from. That doesn`t really make sense why I would want to do that. I name my tabs based on the currency and time scale and I may want to change the template layout based on colours/indicators in different templates, but I don`t want the identity of my tab/chart renamed... that just means having to rename it every time I apply a new template...Which is counter efficient.

hope you can understand. Can I raise it as a product change request? I know there are more important things to work on in NT at the moment, but down the line, (together with my other suggestions for a drop down menu for chart tab sets , and my other request for indicator templates separate from chart layout/colour templates, would make efficient and useful workflows in working with charts for everyone. There`s always room for improvement and innovation

anyway at least for now I know this is what it is.

Comment

I will forward the suggestion to not save the tab name in chart templates to development. Thank you for your feedback.

Comment

The suggestion has been added to the list of possible future enhancements and is assigned to SFT-879.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post jaybedreamin  
                      Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
                      6 responses
                      0 likes