tabbed user interface for charts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tabbed user interface for charts

I hope you will consider providing a tab user interface for charts, like the popular tabs in web browsers.

Hi,

Please explain in more detail what you are recommending.
    MichaelNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Michael View Post
      Please explain in more detail what you are recommending.
      My expectation on ever actually seeing this is fairly low, but, it would certainly be cool if you would do it. So, here is what I'd like. Something that looks akin to IE7 or Firefox, where if I had, say 10 charts open, AUDUSD 15 minute, AUDUSD 60 minute, USDCAD 60 minute, etc., then I'd have 10 tabs. The title on the tab would say the symbol and timeframe. Click the "AUDUSD 60 minute" tab, and I would see that chart. Click the "USDCAD 60 minute" tab, and I'd see that chart.

Now, I don't know how many charts people keep open, If its a large number, then I guess the tabs would start to eat up a lot of screen space by themselves. So, I could imagine some refiinement to the idea might be needed for handling a large number of charts. In that case, you could maybe do something that looks like the Windows start menu, where you click on the chart selector menu, and a tree list of open charts would show up.

Comment

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion, I will forward this to our development team for future considerations.
        MichaelNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Because I'm a programmer myself, and because I like to screw with things, perhaps too much, I wrote an "experimental" tabbed user interface for NinjaTrader charts. I have to call it experimental as the menu bar doesn't work when I stick the windows into a tab. And there are other issues with cosmetics. But, it mostly works otherwise. I've got a printscreen below.

Notice the two tabs, "NZDJPY(1MIN)" and "$EURCHF(1MIN)". I can click on either of those tabs, and that is the chart I see. I can add up to 100 tabs, which is what I set the limit to.

You can at least see roughly what I'm suggesting. I'd e-mail my program to anybody that wants to play with it. But, as noted, it doesn't work perfectly.

Comment

Thank you for your suggestion and I will forward this to development.
            JessicaNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I would love to see tabbed workspaces.

Speedie, how about tinkering with that...?

Comment

PM me with your e-mail. Someone else did, I haven't had a chance to send it out, I'm away from home today. But I'll get it out tonight or tomorrow.

Comment

stellar contribution!

I have recently tested TabMaster and I find it to be extremely useful.

The program has been enhanced massively by its very capable author since my last test early last week.

The new features (that I have not used yet) are said to include:

1. Ability to hide titlebar on windows within TabMaster.

2. A "detach" option to manually detach a tab.

3. Hotkeys to go forward/backwards through the tabs. The hotkeys
                  are Ctrl-Alt-F11 and Ctrl-Alt-F12.

4. The titlebar for Tabmaster itself can be hidden.

5. The right-click menu includes option to minimize, maximize so that one does not need a titlebar.

5. Ability to grab specified windows.

6. If you run multiple instances of TabMaster, and put, say, 5 minute
                  charts in one instance, and 15 minute charts in the other instance, it
                  automatically links these. So, if you display the AUDCAD 5 min
                  chart, then it will automatically select the AUDCAD 15 min chart in the
                  other instance. (Assuming of course that you have such a chart grabbed
                  in the other instance)

7. Automatically restores window positions when it detaches

Some of my personal observations about "TabMaster", based on an older release:

My initial test environment was Win2k Pro, sp3 with NT 6.0, Tradestation, and an early version of TabMaster. Everything worked very well for me.

I also use a freeware program called "DeskPins" to pin windows, and it works well with "TabMaster".

There was some prior discussion in this thread about the loss of a chart window's titlebar functionality after it has been added to TabMaster. I observed that it is easy to RMB-click on any NT chart inside TabMaster in order to access working versions of the same tools that also appear in the title bar. If window linking in NT was applied to a chart before the chart was added to TabMaster then the links apparently continue to work even though other titlebar features seem to be disabled.

Of course, I observed no loss of titlebar functionality on NT windows that were not added to TabMaster, such as Control Panel, Market Analyzer, DOM, etc.

In my opinion, the author of this program has made a stellar contribution to the NT community!

Comment

Originally posted by kh_model View Post
                    In my opinion, the author of this program has made a stellar contribution to the NT community!
                    Thanks for your support!

Comment

Tabbed charts would be so useful, as would tabbed indicator panels, See the pic in this thread for an example:

Comment

I have forwarded your suggestion to development Elliott Wave. Thank you for posting.
                        Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by Elliott Wave View Post
                          Tabbed charts would be so useful, as would tabbed indicator panels, See the pic in this thread for an example:

http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...ead.php?t=7295
                          As far as the tabbed indicator panels, I'm not quite sure how that would work. I guess I'd have to see it. I guess you don't want to have every possible indicator on each chart?

But, at least as far as tabbed charts, my TabMaster program is coming along very nice. Send me a PM and I'll shoot you a copy if you like.

Comment

This has already been sent to development for future consideration.

Thank you for the feedback!
                            Ray S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_RJStein View Post
                              This has already been sent to development for future consideration.
                              I've got it NOW, at least tabs for charts. Albeit not as good as if/when you do it, as mine is of course an add-on. But, until you have it built-in, then my program makes a pretty fair stop-gap.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by WeyldFalcon, 08-07-2020, 06:13 AM
                              11 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post jculp
                              by jculp

Started by RubenCazorla, Today, 09:07 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes