• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using WPF Inspect/Snoop with NinjaTrader 8

Hi there,

In this post:
    http://ninjatrader.com/support/forum...38&postcount=5

NinjaTrader_Matthew says:
    Automation IDs are not documented and subject to change between releases without notification. Programs like Inspect, snoop, etc can be used to easily find these IDs if needed - or we'll be happy to look up on the current releases should you have trouble locating one.

I have used both WPF Inspector and Snoop on WPF applications I have developed and they both work great. However when I attempt to use them with NinjaTrader 8, neither of them work. WPF Inspector crashes NT8 and Snoop just doesn't work. See the attached PDF for details of exactly what happens.

I have been able to get Inspect Object (made by MS) to work but it is very slow as it picks up every open application and freezes when it refreshes etc... you really need to have nothing else running to use it, which is less than ideal, where as WPF Inspect and Snoop will zero in on a specific application.

Can anyone shed some light on what I need to do to get Snoop and WPF Inspector working with NT8.

Regards,

Scott
    Attached Files

Hello Scott,

I've made a quick video to demonstrate using Inspect from the Windows 8.1 SDK to view automation ID's in NinjaTrader.
    http://screencast.com/t/V7F3WYj156Qw

Let me know if you have any questions about how I obtained this executable.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

ChelseaB,

Thanks for the response, and your great vid mate. As mentioned in my post I already have Inspect Object (made by MS, the same as you used in your vid) working, but it is very slow as it picks up every open application and freezes when it refreshes etc... you really need to have nothing else running to use it, which is less than ideal, where as WPF Inspect and Snoop will zero in on a specific application.

Also Object Inspect doesn't give you any style information, where as WPF Inspect and Snoop both do. In the post I referenced here:

NinjaTrader_Matthew was saying that Snoop could be used with NinjaTrader. This is why I asked the question. As you can see from the PDF I attached in my first post, it is not working on my machine, so I just wondered if I am doing something wrong, or if NinjaTrader_Matthew got it wrong and it just doesn't work?

Thanks for your time,

Scott

Comment

Hi Scott,

I checked with Matthew and he let me know that using snoop does not work any longer.

While the Inspect tool may be less than ideal, this is currently what we use on our end for getting the Automation Ids.

Comment

ChelseaB,

Ok great, thanks for following up mate, much appreciated ;-)

Regards,

Scott

Comment

no sound

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB View Post
            Hello Scott,

I've made a quick video to demonstrate using Inspect from the Windows 8.1 SDK to view automation ID's in NinjaTrader.
            Free online storage and sharing with Screencast.com. 2 GB of storage and 2 GB of bandwidth per month for free. We won't compress, alter or take ownership of your content.

Let me know if you have any questions about how I obtained this executable.
            Hi,

I tried to play the video but it has no sound. I tried it on several different browsers and 2 different operating systems. Is it supposed to be like this?

thanks
            Spencer

Comment

Originally posted by spencerdavis2000 View Post
              Hi,

I tried to play the video but it has no sound. I tried it on several different browsers and 2 different operating systems. Is it supposed to be like this?

thanks
              Spencer
              It looks like a silent movie on my end too.

Comment

Hello,

I've remade this video with sound.
                This video demonstrates where to find the Microsoft Inspect tool from the Windows 8.1 SDK (installed with Visual Studio) and how to use this to find Automation Ids and view the parent child hierarchy.

The only important thing that I mentioned is that the inspect tool is part of the Windows 8.1 SDK, which can be installed with the Visual Studio installer.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by Javierw.ok, Today, 04:12 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post Javierw.ok  
                Started by timmbbo, Today, 08:59 AM
                2 responses
                0 likes