Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Raff regression channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raff regression channel

Hi people,

I like Raff regression channel, but ninja does not have it, there is only common linear regression with deviations, can somebody create this tool please?

Raff was one of the first to use linear regression channels to analyze overbought and oversold conditions within a trend. AFAIK a Raff Channel is a standard linear regression channel which uses all data points of an identified swing leg and has the channel lines adjusted in such a way that all trade data is located inside the channel.

Building a Raff Channel therefore requires the following steps:

(1) Identify swing high points and swing low points based on the closing price. This can be done by using one of the swing or zigzag indicators that calculates swing high and low points based on the swing strength (number of bars with higher or lower closes) or based on the minimum deviation required to identify a new leg.

(2) In a second step calculate a linear regression channel from all data points that belong to a swing leg.

(3) In a third step adjust the width of the symmetrical channel in such a way that the data point furthest from the regression line lies on one of the channel lines.

(4) Extend the trendline beyond the second swing point in order to visualize the breakout point for a reversal.

Attached is a chart with a swing indicator applied I have drawn the Raff Channel corresponding to the swing leg identified by the indicator and adjusted the channel width as needed. I have then extended the trend line to find the breakout point from the Raff Channel.

From your request it was not clear whether you look for a tool that allows to draw Raff Channels manually or whether you would like to see fully automated channels drawn by an indicator based on identified swing legs.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Harry View Post
      Raff was one of the first to use linear regression channels to analyze overbought and oversold conditions within a trend. AFAIK a Raff Channel is a standard linear regression channel which uses all data points of an identified swing leg and has the channel lines adjusted in such a way that all trade data is located inside the channel.

Building a Raff Channel therefore requires the following steps:

(1) Identify swing high points and swing low points based on the closing price. This can be done by using one of the swing or zigzag indicators that calculates swing high and low points based on the swing strength (number of bars with higher or lower closes) or based on the minimum deviation required to identify a new leg.

(2) In a second step calculate a linear regression channel from all data points that belong to a swing leg.

(3) In a third step adjust the width of the symmetrical channel in such a way that the data point furthest from the regression line lies on one of the channel lines.

(4) Extend the trendline beyond the second swing point in order to visualize the breakout point for a reversal.

Attached is a chart with a swing indicator applied I have drawn the Raff Channel corresponding to the swing leg identified by the indicator and adjusted the channel width as needed. I have then extended the trend line to find the breakout point from the Raff Channel.

From your request it was not clear whether you look for a tool that allows to draw Raff Channels manually or whether you would like to see fully automated channels drawn by an indicator based on identified swing legs.

Thank you for describe ho to create it manually. For me, best solution would be to add option for calculation raff regression in the tool Regression Channel (ctrl+F10). In properties there is Segment high/low and Standard deviation distance + new could be RAFF. Is it possible to do it?

Comment

Originally posted by volnmar View Post
        Thank you for describe ho to create it manually. For me, best solution would be to add option for calculation raff regression in the tool Regression Channel (ctrl+F10). In properties there is Segment high/low and Standard deviation distance + new could be RAFF. Is it possible to do it?
        You can select swing high point and swing low point and add the linear regression channel. Then in a second step access the data of the linear regression channel and change the standard deviation multiplier until the channel width aligns to price point with the furthest distance from the regression line. Not difficult to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry View Post
          You can select swing high point and swing low point and add the linear regression channel. Then in a second step access the data of the linear regression channel and change the standard deviation multiplier until the channel width aligns to price point with the furthest distance from the regression line. Not difficult to do.
          That is exactly what nobody want to do, it costs lot of time, and on 5 min TF its suicide to operate with such tool on 4 instruments. Can someone add it to the tool to calculate and draw automatically or not?

Comment

Originally posted by volnmar View Post
            That is exactly what nobody want to do, it costs lot of time, and on 5 min TF its suicide to operate with such tool on 4 instruments. Can someone add it to the tool to calculate and draw automatically or not?

A little late in reading this but I agree 100% We need a Raff Regression Channel. If the current tool can do Segment High/Low then it can do a Raff.

NINJA is missing some very basic tools for what it costs. I'm new to the software. I find the support team is excellent, commissions are good and lots of other positives.

But the lack of basic tools such as a Raff Regression Channel is pretty bad. Had I known then what I know today, I would have chosen other software, sad to say.

Comment

Thanks for the input jjwint - we have added including Raff Regression Channels per default to our suggestion tracking via the id SFT-1984.
              BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by cre8able, Today, 03:20 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post cre8able  
              Started by Fran888, 02-16-2024, 10:48 AM
              3 responses
              0 likes