Nt8 lagging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the info, Patrick,

I just signed up for a VPS to deal with all the serious problems that NT8 had. Most importantly, NT8 would freeze and force me to crash it while in the middle of a trade, and I would remain stuck in the trade unprotected after my ATM Strategy stop-losses had disappeared.

Only after restarting NT8 would it exit me out of the trade.

Is that fixed? Does this update mean that I no longer need to incur the extra monthly expense of a VPS and of paying for two data-feeds?

Comment

i2w8am9ii2, if you had a forum thread for your issue specifically, please reply to that thread. If you were working with us via email, please reply to the last email you received from us to continue the conversation.

If you do not have the previous email, or have not reported the issue you're describing to us yet, please write an email to PlatformSupport[AT]NinjaTrader[DOT]com so we may investigate further.

Comment

I'm going back to NT7. I thought NT8 was going to be usable with the latest update but it's still painfully slow. I'm a computer guy and I know what I'm doing. I've stripped everything out of Windows and NT but nothing helps. Load up more than 6 charts or so and it's like dragging the UI through mud. No indicators, nothing. I've followed all the steps in this thread but the number of people with complaints says it all. This is a dealbreaker for me and I'll probably be leaving NT for something else as much as I hate to do so. I've been with NT for over 10 years.

Comment

claxxical,
          My condolences. Between the lagging and the crashing, I had to leave NT myself, also a pity because they're nice folks, but nice doesn't make up for poor quality software. Fortunately, there are MANY other choices out there, some of them very good, although NT does have some features that I really liked. At least we ex-NTers get to use the free EOD version. Good for swing trading.
          Since NT hasn't been able to address the lagging/crashing issue after several software updates, I have a feeling that the problems lie buried deep in its code, and would not be easy to fix....otherwise, they would have figured it out by now. Shame, but that's what you get when you hire programmers who don't trade. That's always a big mistake.
          Tasuki

Comment

I've been using NT7 on a VPS server (to place my trade orders) and using NT8 on my PC simultaneously (to analyze the markets), for a few weeks now.

That has prevented most of the freezing and crashing on NT8 that I used to have every single day. But some days NT8 still freezes, forcing me to crash and restart it, not very often although.

But what I am wondering is, why is it that NT7 does not require using a VPS server, while NT8 does?

Anyone have an insight into that?
            Last edited by i2w8am9ii2; 01-13-2018, 12:29 PM.

Comment

VPS server?

Originally posted by i2w8am9ii2 View Post
              I've been using NT7 on a VPS server and NT8 on my PC simultaneously, for a few weeks now.

That has prevented most of the freezing and crashing on NT8 that I used to have every single day. But some days it still freezes, forcing me to crash and restart it, not very often although.

But what I am wondering is, why is it that NT7 does not require using a VPS server, while NT8 does?

Anyone have an insight into that?
              What *I'm* wondering is, what the heck is a VPS server? Is it just a computer hard drive included in some sort of cloud service, so you log into it and from there you log into Ninjatrader? (a Googlesearch gave me unintelligible answers, mostly because I don't speak Geek)

Whatever it is, if it fixes the lagging and crashing, NT should recommend it, yes?
              Tasuki

Comment

Hi Tasuki,

A VPS (Virtual Private Server) is like a hosted space you get that is located next to the Chicago exchanges.

It is like what High Frequency Traders did when they created a new infrastructure close to the exchanges so that their trades would execute ultra-fast.

NT8 was freezing on me after I placed an order to go long or short via my PC. Now I place my buy/sell orders through NT7 located on the VPS located near to the exchange, and I get no more freeing or crashing. And I use NT8 on my PC to do my trade analysis.

I have four computer monitors, so one of my monitors displays my NT7 charts and my other three monitors display my NT8 charts.

This is the VPS I use and they have a video and some text contact about what a VPS is:

Just keep in mind that there is a monthly cost for a VPS and if you need to use NT7 and NT8 simultaneously like I do, there would also be another data-feed monthly fee that you would need to pay (unless you use kinetic or some other free version on NT8 and NT Continuum or some other feed on NT7).

And Drew at Ninjatrader Platform Support was the one who recommended it to me. I had no clue about a VPS before that.
                Last edited by i2w8am9ii2; 01-13-2018, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Would you mind telling us which of the services you are using and the approximate monthly cost. Do you have any problems with licensed software running on the remote. IE Bloodhound. I have been considering doing so myself but wonder if I will add or subtract from total throughput time from my fingertips to execution.
                  Any thoughts ?? Thanks

Comment

Hi deanldavis475,

I use the medium VPS option at Speedy Trader Servers ($60 per month):

I have to admit that there is a small delay from the time I press buy/sell to the time it is executed, but at least it prevents the total disaster of Ninjatrader freezing on me after I've placed a buy/sell order.

I do not have any problem with licensed indicators that I use on the VPS. I have an EquiVolume Bars indicator that I bought from the Indicator Warehouse and I just had them switch over my license to the Machine ID for the NT7 installed on the VPS.

The way I see it is that if the VPS saves me from a $100 losing trade each day or each week, then the monthly cost is worth it.

Or if the VPS saves me from the potential complete total disaster of Ninjatrader freezing on me after pressing the buy/sell button, which would require me to have to shut down and restart Ninjatrader, as the price does what it will in the meantime, then the monthly cost is worth it.
                    Last edited by i2w8am9ii2; 01-13-2018, 06:31 PM.

Comment

i2w,
                      Thanks for the report, and glad to hear that you've solved the crashing/freezing for yourself, but what does that tell Ninjatrader about their software? You're still using NT's software, just loaded onto the VPS, right? So, why would Ninjatrader work flawlessly on the VPS but crash on a home computer? If we can figure that out, then maybe Ninjatrader' programmers can figure out what to fix in their code. Have I got that right?
                      Tasuki

Comment

Hi Tasuki,

Yes, I think you got it right.

The ultimate goal of Ninjatrader should be for the users of Ninjatrader 7 and 8 to be able to trade safely, with a consistent, predictable trading experience of the platform, and to have the Ninjatrader platform assist us to put on better trades. Otherwise, why pay for a lifetime license?

As of now, NT8 is far from that goal, for many users, such as myself, and for others who have complained in this thread.

For me, the biggest, most serious issue with NT8 occurs after I've pressed the buy or sell button; that is when the program often freezes. And that, in my opinion, is a traders worst nightmare.

In a worst case scenario, as the trader is relaunching NT8 after entering a position that then resulted in a platform freeze, the price would have gone against them in a radically significant way, wiping out the traders entire trading account. That is the worst case potential scenario.

To me that is a totally unacceptable possibility, for even one customer that uses NT8. It should not be something that we should have to worry about.

But instead, for me, the program freezing after I entered a trade has occurred several times; in simulation mode, luckily. Because of that, I will not trade live with NT8.

Yes, the programmers should take a look at what is the difference between the way that NT7 handles trade executions and the way that NT8 handles trade executions.

They might already know what the problem is. And the situation could be that they would need to start from scratch, from the ground up, with NT8, which could be something they're not willing to do at this time.

Hopefully that is not the case. But at least for now, NT8 users have the option of using a VPS.

Comment

Hello,

To clarify what I said about the worst case scenario with the platform freezing problem with NT8, it might be thought that a stop-loss would prevent such a nightmare... but that's not the case. Not with my experience.

After I've pressed the buy/sell button on NT8 and the program freezes, causing me to have to restart the platform, after I've relaunched it, I always would see that my stop-loss is gone and I'm left with a naked position with nothing to protect my trading capital.

Every single time I enter a trade, I use an AMT Strategy which always adds a stop-loss. But for some reason, after the program freezes and I re-start NT8, my stop-loss is gone.

And with a multi-contract position, which I normally use, that is a potential complete nightmare disaster.

In fact I would say that if you asked a programmer to code the worst possible nightmare into a trading platform, I would say that the issue I experience with NT8 freezing then removing my stops is that worst nightmare programmed right into the NT8 faulty code.

And Ninjatrader support sometimes replies with, well that doesn't happen for most users of NT8...

Okay, but is that an excuse to ignore it and to have no sense of urgency to resolve a problem as serious as this one is.

There obviously has been no sense of urgency to resolve this serious issue, as has been demonstrated by the snails pace of progress made and the few new versions of NT8 to date.

This nightmare problem should not be something that a single user of NT8 has to worry about. Not after they've paid $1000 for a lifetime license and have spend a ton of time and effort recreating their NT7 charts and workspaces and learning NT8 and buying indicators for NT8, based on all the hype of NT8.

Otherwise, if Ninjatrader is not going to resolve this serious problem soon, then please don't present NT8 as a great new platform with hundreds of new features, and cause unsuspecting traders to put all their time and resources into it.

Comment

I'd like to first mention that if you are ever in a situation where you cannot manage your orders/positions for any reason, every broker (including NinjaTrader Brokerage) has a 24/7 emergency trade desk who exists for this purpose. You can find NinjaTrader Brokerage's contact information here:

If you have any questions, concerns or feedback, or want to open an account, we're here to help. Click here to find the appropriate contact for your needs!

Originally posted by Tasuki View Post
                            Whatever it is, if it fixes the lagging and crashing, NT should recommend it, yes?
                            Tasuki
                            We do not recommend a specific VPS service as this is not a requirement to use NinjaTrader 8. When issues arise with the platform, more often than not it is a local issue and not a core NinjaTrader 8 issue. We would need to look into your specific NinjaTrader installation and PC setup to learn more and to diagnose the issue properly.

Tasuki, i2w8am9ii2 - I encourage you to write into PlatformSupport[AT]NinjaTrader[DOT]com so we may investigate what you're reporting.

Comment

Experiences Please

1st Have you talked with support as Patrick suggests???

Next will you please keep us informed as to the ongoing situation and your ability to trade via VPS and local installation. All this as well as any info provided by support.
                              I know that sometimes support is not helpful when they can't fix the problem but in general I have found them to be most helpful, able to solve problems and seem very caring in general.
                              It really sounds like you need to be kicked up in the technology food chain for your problem.
                              Thanks
                              Dean

Comment

deanldavis475, there are no known issues currently with trading from a physical PC or a VPS. Both should work without issue.

If you're experiencing issues with either, please go into further detail. It would be best to also follow my instructions to write in as we are able to gather more specific information if we have access to your log and trace files.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by Mindset, 05-06-2023, 09:03 PM
                                10 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH  
                                Started by michi08, 10-05-2018, 09:31 AM
                                5 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB