Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Volume indicator - what is it measuring in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volume indicator - what is it measuring in?

So I am looking at the volume on a rather iliquid stock - it currently says "4353" on the right hand axis of the daily chart.

Does that mean.... 4353 stocks bought and sold in this trading day?

Or is it measured in 100s or something else?

Thanks.

Hello Irukandji,
    Thanks for your post.

I believe that number is measured in thousands for the built in VOL indicator.
    Josh G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I'm using regular up/down volume bars.

So it's 4353 shares traded?

Or 4,353,000 shares traded?

Thanks.

Comment

For futures instruments, it is the number of contracts.

I would imagine for stocks, it is the exact number of shares, no multiplier involved.

Forex may have a multiplier, but you're asking about stocks, and I think futures and stock instruments are the same: no multiplier.

So, if you see 4353 for the volume, that is 4,353 shares, not 4,353,000 shares.

I'll eat my hat if I'm wrong about that ...

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_JoshG View Post
          You sure about that?

Comment

You sure about that?
            Yes. I would need to be convinced otherwise. That's why there is a "K" displayed next to the numbers, bltdavid. The attached screenshot is from the standard VOL indicator on that daily ES 09-18 chart. If you mean the 'actual volume' marker that does not include a "K" at the end of it, then it is of course not in the thousands.

If you have specific screenshot you want me to clarify I'd be happy to.
            Attached Files

Comment

Yes. I would need to be convinced otherwise. That's why there is a "K" displayed next to the numbers, bltdavid. The attached screenshot is from the standard VOL indicator on that daily ES 09-18 chart. If you mean the 'actual volume' marker that does not include a "K" at the end of it, then it is of course not in the thousands.

If you have specific screenshot you want me to clarify I'd be happy to.
              Nope, your screenshot will do fine.

Exactly.

Consider that the scale on the Y axis has the 'K' suffix mostly for convenience, but this is a scale, the numbers on this scale are for visual reference only, they don't mean anything as to the actual volume being displayed, they are just evenly placed numbers on the scale, just like prices on the Y-axis on the main chart -- they are for visual reference only.

Very carefully, note the actual volume in the marker towards the bottom. See how it says the value "75677". There is no 'K' suffix. And, I would also suspect that if there is ever a 'K' suffix displayed in that solitary marker value, then yes, of course, you are right, the 'K' suffix is a multiplier meaning 'x 1000'.

Your original answer failed to distinguish between reading the values on the scale versus reading the actual value in the marker. There is only one marker.

The scale is measured in thousands via that 'K' suffix.
              The actual volume for the illiquid stock the OP was asking about should have no "K" suffix, so IMHO your very short and incomplete answer (with its massive assumptions) missed the boat by a wide margin. Note also, the OP never mentioned anything about the 'K' suffix in his original inquiry.

The number the OP was asking about is not measured in thousands.
              Only the scale is measured, the actual marker shows an exact number.
              Last edited by bltdavid; 07-04-2018, 08:08 AM.

Comment

bltdavid, I must ask that you calm down and be civil. If I did something to offend you in this post than I apologize.

I can only answer based on the information I have. A forum is an open conversation and not a complete answer based on one post.

Everything you have written in your most recent post is correct and I will leave it at that.

Comment

bltdavid, I must ask that you calm down and be civil. If I did something to offend you in this post than I apologize.

I can only answer based on the information I have. A forum is an open conversation and not a complete answer based on one post.

Everything you have written in your most recent post is correct and I will leave it at that.
                  I am quite calm, my friend.

Incomplete answers due to assumptions by support do a disservice to everybody, as you know.

How hard would it have been to answer the question more succinctly, like I did, by noting the difference between the scale and the actual number?

Comment

OK thanks for the back and forth guys, I think it's cleared up now.

Yes i was talking about stocks - so the 4353 is the actual number of stocks.

That at least makes it easy to know the volume instantly by looking, no maths-on-the-fly needed.

Thanks.

Comment

OK.

It's not cleared up - the volume number I'm getting on my charts is completely different to everyone else in the world's volume numbers! Please explain what I'm doing wrong.

NT8 up/down volume bars show $HUYA daily volume at around 107K.

IB TWS shows 12.5M, Tradingview shows `12.5M...

So why is my volume wrong on NT8? (see pics)

Thanks.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hello Irukandji,

Thank you for your update.

Can you detail who you are connecting to in NinjaTrader 8 for the HUYA historical Daily data?

I look forward to your response.

Comment

Hi Patrick

My data is from IB.

But as you can see, IB TWS is displaying the correct volume.

So am I using the wrong kind of volume bars or something? Can you tell me which of the volume options available are just the plain old standard volume bars please?

Thanks.

Comment

Hello Irukandji,

Thank you for your response.

You are not looking at the wrong Volume indicator of display. Your NinjaTrader chart should be matching the source (IB) data.

I would like to look into this further with you. Please send me your log and trace files so that I may look into what occurred. You can do this by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Email Support. Ensuring 'Log and Trace Files' is checked will include these files. This is checked by default.

Please put 'ATTN: Patrick H' in the subject line and reference this thread in the body of the email.

Comment

OK, just sent.

Thanks.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Jon17, Today, 04:33 PM
                              0 responses
                              1 view
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Jon17