Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT8 annoying compile restriction on error

Hi,

In NT8, if you add additional parameters to one of your indicators that is in use in a strategy, or elsewhere, the editor will refuse to compile the script, stating all code must be in a compilable state. So, you try, using the editor, to open the strategy that needs updating and you cannot. It's catch 22. The editor will not let you edit further files until the error is fixed but you cannot open the file due to the error. I get around it by opening the strategy in visual studio, updating the parameters, and all is well again. People would be stuck without VS though and this seems like a bit of a bad implementation! You should be able to further edit related files to fix the error the compiler is complaining about.

Hope this is clear. Try adding a parameter to an indicator used in a strategy and compile if not. You will soon see the issue if you are exclusively trying to use the integrated editor.

Hello,

Thank you for the post.

I wanted to gather more information on the steps you had used to get stuck here. I am able to edit both a strategy and indicator at the same time in an editor to correct this situation, are you instead referring to the strategy builder which does not have access to the code?

If you create additional public properties in an indicator, the syntax you had created previously in the strategy would no longer apply as the indicator has changed so that would be expected that your existing syntax can no longer compile. You should be able to comment any indicator used in the strategy and recompile the indicator. After doing so, you could change the strategy used to fix the error. NinjaTrader has no way to modify the strategies existing syntax to make it correct based on the changes you make in the indicator at that point.

Could you outline the specific steps required to get to the "stuck" point where you need to use visual studio? If you can provide an example indicator/strategy set that I could modify in the same way to get stuck that would be very helpful.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
    JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by ScottWalsh, Today, 04:29 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post ScottWalsh  
    Started by rtwave, 04-12-2024, 09:30 AM
    2 responses
    0 likes