Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Export problem

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Josh,

I considered the case closed a couple of messages ago. My last was just a reply to Mr. K, not trying to continue the issue. Probably should have made the reply off-line. Sorry.

BTW: I do understand NT using C# --- that is what allows the nice easy plugin indicators. Really nice setup.

FWIW: when I made that export, I could install it. Of the two folks I sent it to, one could and one could not install it. That's what I meant about commercials. I would not want my customer calling up and saying he had a "corrupt image", which is what the error dialog said for one of those I gave it to.

Anyway, I agree. Case is closed. Nothing more to do on it.

--EV

Comment

ETFVoyageur,

There is one thing I want to clarify with you just to be sure we are all actually on the same page. In your very first post you said this:

• The type or namespace name 'Rwb' could not be found -- it is a namespace in a separate file RwbLibrary
      • The type or namespace name 'IndicatorType' could not be found -- it is an enum in Rwb in a separate file RwbLibrary
      • The type or namespace name 'SmoothType' could not be found -- it is an enum in Rwb in a separate file RwbLibrary

To clarify, RwbLibrary is simply a separate .cs file you have in NinjaTrader?
      Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

> To clarify, RwbLibrary is simply a separate .cs file you have in NinjaTrader?

Josh,

Yes, RwbLibrary is just a separate .cs file in my Indicators directory. I found that I had common code snippets that I used in several indicators, so I separated them out.

If you have a better suggestion for a simple library facility, please make it -- I'd welcome any advice about that.

--EV

Comment

ETFVoyager, another attempt to get a hold of that issue:
          a) do you still have the situation, where compiling in the NS editor works fine, but you are unable to export?
          b) if so, could you please provide us a complete copy of your source directory <my documents>/NinjaTrader7/bin/custom. At best zip up the complete directory. We also would need your config file <my documents>/NinjaTrader7/Config.xml

Please consider the sources you send us as being under non-disclosure, we would use them for the sole purpose of analyzing that case.

Please send all files as per above to support AT ninjatrader DOT com, ATTN Dierk. Thanks

Comment

Dierk -- Yes, I still have the situation. I made another export this afternoon and ran into it. I'll do as you ask, but after I come back -- I have to go out right now.

-----

The guy who had trouble importing the thing I made found out his problem. It sounds like something that NT should be aware of and develop a fix for:

For some reason importing did not work in 64 bit only in 32 bit. But I can use it in 64 bit after I exit and re enter the program.
            --EV

Comment

ETFVoyager: I looked into the issues using your exact setup. Here are my findings:
              a) Just trying to export RwbMA2 fails. You needed to e.g. manually add missing files (as per log error) until you got a consistent set of files which NT is able to compile and export. This is expected as NT only is able to "guess" which files might be missing. This heuristic would fail as code cross dependencies get too complex.
              b) After manually adding the required files I was able to export source and compiled assemblies no problem.
              c) I was able to import the source archive on the same machine no problem (after acknowledging the various overwrites)
              d) Importing the compiled archive on the same machine would fail. This is expected as there are "redundant" source files (the exact custom files you exported) which needed to be removed first to get it to import.

As it stands all works as expected and I was unable to reproduce any issue.

Thanks

Comment

Dierk,

Thanks for taking a look.

> a) Just trying to export RwbMA2 fails. You needed to e.g. manually add missing files (as per log error) until you got a consistent set of files which NT is able to compile and export. This is expected as NT only is able to "guess" which files might be missing.

That is the one I do not understand. Why is it able to find everything when I compile by hand, but not when I try to export it? I would expect the two build environments to be identical, so whatever it can find in the hand environment it should also be able to find in the export environment. The fact that they are different is what my concern is.

Furthermore, export was able to find everything up until recently. Presumably something I changed is causing it to no longer be able to. I would like to know what that is, in the hope that I can mitigate the problem.

Once the "corrupt archive" problem was explained away as a 32-bit vs 64-bit problem (see my earlier post on that), there has been no problem loading the result anywhere.

--EV

Comment

Whats more curious to me is that the log seems to always find the missing file,, somehow the log figures it out.

Comment

To clarify:
                    a) the export only compiles the minimum set of files required to compile a NS assembly.Compiling in the NS editor builds one large assembly of all the NS files which you have in your installation. This is a different purpose which requires a different approach.
                    b) the messages in the logs are MS compiler messages which we don't control. Nor would these messages tell which files needed to be included (but just the missing classes, types etc. at the level of C# compiler errors). So there is nothing "which log figures out"

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Dierk View Post
                      To clarify:
                      a) the export only compiles the minimum set of files required to compile a NS assembly.Compiling in the NS editor builds one large assembly of all the NS files which you have in your installation. This is a different purpose which requires a different approach.
                      b) the messages in the logs are MS compiler message which we don't control. So there is nothing "which log figures out"

Excuse me? It is crucial that the developer know that what he built and tested is what is going to get shipped. The developer build and the release build (export, in this case) must be identical to have that assurance. To build one way for developer testing and another way for shipping is bad software engineering.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding your point?

--EV

Comment

Unfortunately your understanding is incorrect. NT would export exactly what you implemented and tested. However, your local installation might have other 3rd party components installed, which you definitely would not wanted to have exported with the "all in" approach of the NS editor compile job. Thus, the export would be done on the "required" set of files and not include files which are not needed (unless you manually added them). The approach we took was taken for very good reasons which is considered the right approach to guarantee the stability of the installations of the vast majority of our users.

I understand that you disagree and your disagreement is noted.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by Aviram Y, Today, 05:29 AM
                        0 responses
                        1 view
                        0 likes
                        Last Post Aviram Y  
                        Started by quantismo, 04-17-2024, 05:13 PM
                        3 responses
                        0 likes