Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Composite Index indicator by Constance Brown for NT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Harry View Post
    The zip file is below and you can directly import it into NinjaTrader.
    New to NT and trading world, dont want to seem naive, but since i dont see the zip file that you are referring to, i'm assuming the indicator hasnt been released to NT? or if so, how do i get ahold of it and load it into the platform? CFG MO that is?

Comment

Originally posted by Julienxr View Post
      New to NT and trading world, dont want to seem naive, but since i dont see the zip file that you are referring to, i'm assuming the indicator hasnt been released to NT? or if so, how do i get ahold of it and load it into the platform? CFG MO that is?
      The zip file is attached in post #3.

Comment

Hi Dan

Is there anyway possible that you could perhaps make a compatible script for beta8,if not is there a 3rd party you could recommend, im new to your platform and the amount of 3rd party partners you have is insane, lol. I wouldn't know where to start, just found this forum, super excited to have all these resources at my finger tips, but, i have completely no idea which partner is capable of doing what. On that note, for future reference is there a rating system in place where i can read reviews of third parties, so i can make as much of an educated decision as possible on whom i could approach in the future for development ideas i have, because i have plenty thus far, just dont know how to ask?

Comment

Originally posted by Julienxr View Post
          Hi Dan

Is there anyway possible that you could perhaps make a compatible script for beta8,if not is there a 3rd party you could recommend, im new to your platform and the amount of 3rd party partners you have is insane, lol. I wouldn't know where to start, just found this forum, super excited to have all these resources at my finger tips, but, i have completely no idea which partner is capable of doing what. On that note, for future reference is there a rating system in place where i can read reviews of third parties, so i can make as much of an educated decision as possible on whom i could approach in the future for development ideas i have, because i have plenty thus far, just dont know how to ask?
          The Composite Index (which seems to be identical to the CFG momentum oscillator which is under copyright protection) can be coded in a few minutes. I am not going to publish this here, because I do not want to annoy Mr. Cardwell. If you ask permission from Mr. Cardwell, I will post it here.

Comment

There is no intellectual property hang up regarding the Composite Index. It is openly documented in the Technical Analysis 2nd edition ISBN 978-0-07-175914-4 on Ch. 12 pg 369 and again on pg. 432 as TradeStation Easy Language. The Library of Congress Copyright in Constance Brown's name is cited on page 373. That much is definitive enough - for me at least. If there is any issue with Cardwell, then it should be between him and the McGraw-Hill publishing corporate attorneys.

The CompIndex.zip at the beginning of this thread was a good starting point for me - thanks to the poster.
            However, I do think there is a technical issue with this.zip version. It makes use of the stock Ninja RSI(). There is no warning within the Ninja stock version that this RSI() calculation uses a smoothing formula within the C#. I don't know the history or reasons behind the smoothing technique used in Ninja, but it doesn't seem to be used in other platforms like FreeStockCharts or TradingView. Maybe someone else can elaborate.

The stock Ninja RSI is:
            avgDown.Set((avgDown[1] * (Period - 1) + down[0]) / Period);
            avgUp.Set((avgUp[1] * (Period - 1) + up[0]) / Period);
            }

double rsi = avgDown[0] == 0 ? 100 : 100 - 100 / (1 + avgUp[0] / avgDown[0]);
            double rsiAvg = (2.0 / (1 + Smooth)) * rsi + (1 - (2.0 / (1 + Smooth))) * Avg[1];

The original raw RSI calculation from Wilder's original 1978 "New Concepts" book is simply:

RS = Average Gain / Average Loss
            RSI = 100 - (100 / (1 + RS))

Constance Brown explicitly uses the original Wilder unsmoothed 'raw' RSI calculation in her analysis techniques. This was described since the 1st edition of Technical Analysis. Consequently, the same data input into CompIndex.zip and visually compared to the printed book charts in Technical Analysis and Fibonacci Analysis will not have the same divergences or ranges for either RSI or CompositeIndex. RSI acts more tightly as limit function as it gets to range extremes with the smoothed calculation making the divergence drawn trendlines visually more difficult to discern. The Composite Index consequently has a more compressed numeric range, so it doesn't form the internal trendlines well.

Attached is a random chart that shows the original Wilder 1978 calculations plotted in Black/Blue, but the smoothed Ninja calculations plotted in Green. Compare the character, range, angles, divergences to the charts in Constance Brown's books and see if you see the same issue.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by cpuzz; 08-01-2016, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by laurus12 View Post
              Whao! You really made my day Dan. From how it behaves I think you got it just right. Thank you so much. I am a newbe on NT and this indicator is very important to me.

It was made for warning when RSI is failing to show divergence. It can also alert when RSI is failing to show positive and negative reversal signals in a trend.

I use it with both RSI and MACD. With MACD when it starts to show divergence but has not really turned yet. I pinpoint the turning point for the second MACD swing singnal in advance with the CI.

Again thank you so much!
              hi Laurus are you still using this index? Just wondering as I use divergence tools that lay over indicators such as macd and rsi and am looking to see if they will combine well with the CI.

Comment

Hi all,

Is here anybody that is able to convert this composite index to NT8?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards
                Bascher

Comment

Hello bascher,

Thank you for your reply.

I will leave this open in case one of our users is willing to convert the indicator for you.

You can also contact one of our professional NinjaScript Consultants or Educators who would be eager to create or modify this script at your request or assist you with your script. Please let me know if you would like a list of professional NinjaScript Consultants or Educators who would be happy to create or modify any script at your request or assist you in learning NinjaScript.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance to you.
                  Kate W.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I am interested too

Thanks

Comment

I am interested too

Thanks

Comment

Hi all,

Any ideas where I could get a zipped file of the indicator for NT8? Many thanks

Comment

Hello borge,

I'm unsure if this was ever ported to NinjaTrader 8, as I didn't see it on our User App Share, but I'll leave this thread open in case someone can provide this for you.

Comment

Here you get the NT8 Version.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Hi all. I would like to work using CFG MO through ninja trader 8. This composite index you talk about is only using 2 Simple moving average, CFGO MO indicator uses 1 Simple moving average , and 1 exponential moving average (or weighted). I've tried to put this compIndex indicator in my ninja trader 8 , and I am not able to put a 45 EMA on it, Can anyone help me? Composite index with a SMA, and an EMA is, as far as I know , how the original indicator is used. How Mr Cardwell uses it

Comment

Hello Eyeless,

I'm having no issue using the linked indicator in the post above yours as the input for a EMA(45). You'd want to choose the indicator as the input series for the EMA, and make sure to select the appropriate plot and also panel for the indicator to use. I've made a quick video showing how this may be done:

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by adeelshahzad, Today, 03:54 AM
                                5 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH  
                                Started by stafe, 04-15-2024, 08:34 PM
                                7 responses
                                0 likes