Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Does anyone have a Inconsistent Bar Spacing fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone have a Inconsistent Bar Spacing fix?

I included an attached example of how ninjatrader gives you inter-bar spacing that you can't get rid of.

Worse yet, it's inconsistent. Sometimes it's 0px, sometimes it's 1px, sometimes is 1 then 2 then 1 then 2px.

Is there a way to build the bars so that when rerendering it never skips a pixel, or if it DOES skip a pixel it skips the same amount between each bar?
    Attached Files

What version of NinjaTrader 8 are you using? Please provide the entire version number. This can be found under Help -> About (Example: 8.0.X.0)

The bar spacing and bar width would be controlled within the data series.

These settings are also automatically adjusted when you change the chart's horizontal scale.

Please clarify the issue you're reporting and what your question is:
    • Are you wondering how to adjust bar width?
    • Are you wondering why bar width changes?
    • Else?

Comment

What version of NinjaTrader 8 are you using?
      8.0.13.1 64-bit (Standard)

The bar spacing and bar width would be controlled within the data series.
      Sure, but if I set it to anything from 0 to 20 the spacing between bars is inconsistent and I can't ever actually get it to have 0 spacing between bars without having weird overlap or gap issues.

Please clarify the issue you're reporting and what your question is:
      It is neither. Please look at the image I attached to the original message.

The lefthand side of the image is how a ninjatrader 8 chart looks normally (though I did zoom in). Notice some of the bars have a 1 pixel gap between them, some have 2. For some reason nt8 builds the bars unevenly with weird spacing even if you're trying to get it to have no spacing between each candlestick.

The question is as follows: Ninjatrader appears to insert one or more pixels of space between each candle. How do I set it to no spacing or even spacing?

Comment

After consulting with the Product Management Team, it looks like this is expected. NinjaTrader 8 scaling was designed to be as smooth as possible and because of this it is possible that some bars will be off by a pixel.

In NinjaTrader 7, the scaling was handled in chunks to make enough room for the exact amount of pixels needed.

I have submitted a feature request to the Development Team to consider changing this scaling behavior so that it is not possible for bars to intermittently be off by a pixel. I'll edit this post when I receive a tracking number.

EDIT: The tracking number is SFT-3140.
        Last edited by NinjaTrader_PatrickG; 04-12-2018, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Select the chart and simply use ALT + Arrow up/down to control the space between two candles.

The gaps between two candles will be identical throughout the chart, as long as you have selected equidistant bar spacing under properties, and as long as there is only one bar series on your chart.

Also you may code custom bars that leave no space between two candles.
          Last edited by Harry; 04-14-2018, 03:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry View Post
            Select the chart and simply use ALT + Arrow up/down to control the space between two candles.

The gaps between two candles will be identical throughout the chart, as long as you have selected equidistant bar spacing under properties, and as long as there is only one bar series on your chart.

Also you may code custom bars that leave no space between two candles.

I have equidistant bar spacing selected and, once again, am entirely aware that ALT + Arrow Key changes the bar spacing.

The problem still remains that the spacing isn't even AND that if I want there to be 0 spacing *regardless of bar size (width in pixels)* I cannot do this.

My problem is not solved.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickG View Post
              After consulting with the Product Management Team, it looks like this is expected. NinjaTrader 8 scaling was designed to be as smooth as possible and because of this it is possible that some bars will be off by a pixel.

In NinjaTrader 7, the scaling was handled in chunks to make enough room for the exact amount of pixels needed.

I have submitted a feature request to the Development Team to consider changing this scaling behavior so that it is not possible for bars to intermittently be off by a pixel. I'll edit this post when I receive a tracking number.

EDIT: The tracking number is SFT-3140.
              The reason I was looking that closely into how the bars are spaced is because I wanted to see if I could alter the way candlesticks are drawn to be closer to the way TDAmeritrade's thinkorswim does it. It doesn't seem like I can get Ninjatrader to have consistent bar spacing, and more importantly, it doesn't seem like I can get it to draw candles with 1-2 pixel widths, 3 is the minimum which I think is the root cause.

How would I go about telling it to draw 1-2px width candles instead of 3?

Comment

There is no supported way to accomplish what you're looking for. Depending on how the chart is scaled and due to how chart scaling is currently handled in NinjaTrader 8, there is always a potential for the bars to be offset by 1 extra pixel.

Comment

I have Ninjatrader 8.0.17. I am also seeing irregular gaps between candles. The section I have attached is from a 3-min bar setting. The yellow mark highlights gaps appearing after the 3rd candle. Sometimes, it appears after two candles.

Also, how does one hide the tile/header bar highlighted in the second image?

Thanks!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hello yohuckleberry,

Thank you for your note.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to view the attached files.

Please follow the steps below to manually attach your log and trace files to an email to platformsupport[AT]ninjatrader[DOT]com with "ATTN CHRIS S 2102598" in the subject line so I may investigate this matter further.
                    • Open your NinjaTrader folder under Documents.
                    • Right click on the 'log' and 'trace' folders and select Send To> Compressed (zipped) Folder.
                    • Send the 2 compressed folders as attachments to this email.
                    • Once complete, you can delete these compressed folders.

I look forward to your reply.

Comment

Not sure if this is the same issue, but sometimes I flip chart timeframes and for some inexplicable reason the bars are all super thin with big spaces between them. I just push ALT-DOWN-DOWN on the keyboard to fix it. It is annoying and I don't know why it happens but its easily fixed.

Comment

Hello kevinenergy,

Thanks for your note.

I'm unable to reproduce this behavior on my end. Do you know of any exact steps that can be taken to cause this to happen, for example changing between minute-based and tick-based intervals on the chart?

I look forward to being of assistance.
                        Tyler M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by bortz, 11-06-2023, 08:04 AM
                        47 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post aligator  
                        Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
                        0 responses