Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Export problem

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gg80108,

Unfortunately it can happen depending on .NET environment, PC setup, etc. It is for this reason adding system indicators manually has been added. Unfortunately there is no alternative to just doing it manually should you run into this.
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Josh,

What worries me is that the build for the export does not match the build by hand. That tells me that what I am exporting is not guaranteed to be the same as what I have developed and tested.

From a software engineering perspective, there is something wrong when buiding the product (export) does not match the developer builds (by hand).

I have no idea how significant (or not) the difference is i this case, but it seems like an unnecessary worry. The two should be the same.

--EV

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Josh View Post
        gg80108,
        It is for this reason adding system indicators manually has been added..
        I just noticed the wording here. Note that in my case some of the troublesome ones were system, and some were local. I'm not sure whether the difference matters to you, but I caught on the wording.

--EV

Comment

ETFVoyageur,

It could happen on both system and custom indicators that are required files. We looked into this before and unfortunately are unable to resolve the .NET referencing issues on every single setup. That is why the help guide article was created and the recommendation is to include it manually should you run into the issue.

Comment

Josh,

When you looked into it before, what did you find out about why building for export would be different from building by hand? The fact the two are different is what bugs me.

FWIW: I gave the exported zip to two others. One could not install it -- his system told him it was corrupt, so he installed it by hand. I tried, and it installs fine on my system. Have not yet heard back from the other guy.

--EV

Comment

It is because of differences in .NET, regional settings, and other PC factors. Unfortunately it is what it is at this point in time. What you experience can happen for some users.

Comment

That explains why his system and mine responded differently (although I'd be pretty upset by it if I were selling software commercially).

But I do not see how that explains why my hand build shuld be different than my export build. Any ideas about that one?

(I don't want to take up too much of your time with this, but I am really curious about why the two builds on the same machine should not work identically.)

--EV

Comment

ETFVoyageur,

Unfortunately there is no other way I can explanation I can provide you with. It is simply .NET referencing issues with different PC setups. It can and does happen. Everything you experience is exactly what we have seen as behavior to the above issue. Unfortunately there is no additional information I can provide you.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Josh View Post
                    ETFVoyageur,

Unfortunately there is no other way I can explanation I can provide you with. It is simply .NET referencing issues with different PC setups. It can and does happen. Everything you experience is exactly what we have seen as behavior to the above issue. Unfortunately there is no additional information I can provide you.
                    Josh,

I am sorry to be so dense, but I do not understand what is a "different PC setup" between my doing a hand build and my doing an export -- all on the same machine and within a few minutes of each other.

I understand that when applied to a my build installing on someone else's machine, just not how it applies to the two builds on my machine.

--EV

Comment

ETFVoyageur,

Yes, that is exactly what we have seen and experienced before. Unfortunately it can happen.

Comment

OK -- dead issue

It happens, and you have looked into it before with no success.

No one understands it -- it will remain one of life's little mysteries.

--EV

Comment

More like gossamer

Do you have a good reason to think so, or are you grasping at straws?
                          Straws? I think it is more like grasping at gossamer.

I am even a bit surprised the NT seems to think that is where the problem lies too.

I am just so suspicious that anything designed by Microsoft must soon break, that I always at the very least redo any Microsoft dependencies before I blame the product. And I have found too many instances where it was .NET that was causing me problems. As an example, there is something seriously wrong with any entity that requires more than 3GB of my system drive to install a Web Editor, and will not really let me install it to any other drive.

Comment

Yup, I have even documented a case in this forum where exporting as a .cs file behaves differently from exporting as an unprotected DLL.

Comment

Very weird. If I were doing commercial software development I'd be very bothered by all of the non-reproducibility. If this truly is a .NET problem, then it makes me wonder why any commercial operation that has a choice would use .NET instead of (unmanaged) C++.
                              • What I export is not what I build and test

• My product may or may not install on a customer's machine, even if I make no mistakes

Wow!

-- EV

Comment

ETFVoyageur,

We work very closely with our 3rd party addon partners and it has never been an issue we could not resolve in a very quick manner. Not to mention it rarely happens. If you can install it, most everyone can as well. If you can't most everyone can't either.

I will consider this case closed now as there is nothing more that can be offered at this point in time.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by wzgy0920, 04-20-2024, 06:09 PM
                                2 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post wzgy0920  
                                Started by wzgy0920, 02-22-2024, 01:11 AM
                                5 responses
                                0 likes