Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Wyckoff Wave Indicator [Help Needed]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't try to change the indicator name with search and replace, you'll likely change things that shouldn't be changed.

The best way to change an indicator name if you're making changes is: in the indicator editor, right-click and "save as", giving it a new name. It doesn't work perfectly in every case, but it's the place to start.

Comment

StockJock,

The best way, as Kdoren mentioned, is to right click in the editor and go to "Save as". The NinjaScript editor will then change anything needed. I was only trying to save you from having to input your modifications a second time.

"Index" isn't usually a reserved keyword in indicators, but it may be in some.
      Adam P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Ok. I did as both of you said and nothing shows up. Attached is the chart's image and the WyckoffWave.cs saved per your instructions. I saved the Index.cs under a new name of WyckoffWave.cs just as you instructed me to do.

The only thing that I can think of as the problem is the errors of back filling the stock symbols for the Wyckoff Wave. I have all of them in a separate portfolio list called, of course, Wyckoff Wave.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by StockJock; 04-16-2012, 06:00 PM.

Comment

StockJock,

Please check your log tab for any errors.

In addition, you may want to use the following reference sample to identify where the issue occurred.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Josh View Post
            Debugging your NinjaScript code can be time consuming and frustrating. When NinjaTrader encounters a run-time exception in your programming logic it will terminate the execution of the script and log the exception to the Control Center Log tab. This in itself can be of value however, there may be times where your script is too large and the exception error message provided is not granular enough. This is where standard C# exception handling using the keywords “try” and “catch” (try–catch block) can be very useful. A try-catch block allows you to encapsulate a section of your code to trap exceptions and write out meaningful information that can help you resolve your run-time errors.
            This error has been consistent since the time I first downloaded NJ7 and connected it to TDA. It has nothing to do with any currently running indicator script that I have imported since that time. The issue is how NJ7 backfills data from TDA and is a constant and ever present nuisance. I'm surprised that no one else has reported this and the issue resolved.

Comment

StockJock,

When an indicator doesn't display, its either that there isn't historical data available, or there is another error in the code that won't necessarily show up when you compile. I would suggest using the try/catch as well as checking your log for any error messages and reporting them here to this thread.

Comment

There are no instructions on how to use this utility. The instructions in the link that you gave me are for downloading and installing it, not how to use it and retrieve the error information. How is it used?

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_AdamP View Post
                When an indicator doesn't display, its either that there isn't historical data available, or there is another error in the code that won't necessarily show up when you compile. I would suggest using the try/catch as well as checking your log for any error messages and reporting them here to this thread.

Comment

StockJock,

Here is an example :

Code:
                  try
                  {

// put all the code you want to try in here

}
                  catch(Exception e)
                  {

Print(e.ToString());

}
                  This will display any relevant errors in the Tools > Output Window, and generally identifies which line the error came from.

Please let me know if I may assist further.

Comment

The historical data backfill error occurs even if I have no indicators on the price chart. What code should I put in the location indicated? This is an issuee between NinjaTrader and TD Ameritrade, not indicator code.

Comment

StockJock,

Could you report the specific error?

Comment

Could you report the specific error?
                        Here it is.

Attached Files

Comment

StockJock,

We have had reports of this, unfortunately the only current resolution is to reduce the amount of historical data you are requesting in charts, etc. Its a message from the TDA API indicating that it cannot get historical data as far into the past as it is being requested to grab.

Comment

We have had reports of this, unfortunately the only current resolution is to reduce the amount of historical data you are requesting in charts, etc. Its a message from the TDA API indicating that it cannot get historical data as far into the past as it is being requested to grab.
                            What would be an appropriate number of symbols and an appropiate number of days. I may also need that same information for downloading market replay data. Thanks.

Comment

StockJock,

Downloading replay data comes from our servers so it shouldn't be an issue there. It would only affect data coming in from TD Ameritrade to your charts.

It looks like most instruments have 60-90 days, some have more. The number of instruments shouldn't cause any issues, as we have reports of this message only on certain stocks when the number of stocks isn't a factor.

Comment

It looks like most instruments have 60-90 days, some have more. The number of instruments shouldn't cause any issues, as we have reports of this message only on certain stocks when the number of stocks isn't a factor.
                                I've gone through to check the data series for my stock list and it appears that they are on the default of 5 days.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by Haiasi, Today, 06:53 PM
                                1 response
                                0 likes
                                Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
                                Started by ScottWalsh, Today, 06:52 PM
                                1 response
                                0 likes
                                Started by ScottW, Today, 06:09 PM
                                1 response
                                0 likes
                                Started by ftsc2022, 10-25-2022, 12:03 PM
                                5 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post KeyonMatthews  
                                Started by Board game geek, 10-29-2023, 12:00 PM
                                14 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post DJ888
                                by DJ888

Working...
                                X