Improving screenshots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Improving screenshots

The screenshot functionality is broken in NinjaTrader, unlike a normal window you can't make a screenshot of it. I'm pretty sure this is a known behaviour.

Anyhow, so the only alternative is to save a screenshot file - which is a cumbersome process since a dialog pops open.

But the major problem here is that often it wants to give the same name as a previously saved screenshot and so the user must then come up with a new name.

I suggest that to fix this the time should be affixed to the filename by default - including at least seconds..

or if you don't want to do that then to add an incrementing number to the end

What version of NinjaTrader are you using? Please provide the entire version number. This can be found under Help -> About (Example: 7.0.1000.X or 8.0.X.0)

Could you elaborate further about what you mean when you say "The screenshot functionality is broken in NinjaTrader"? Are you using a feature from within NinjaTrader? Or are you referring to another program being able to take screenshots of NinjaTrader?

Please describe the exact steps you're taking now within NinjaTrader to arrive at the point you've mentioned where the default naming of the file becomes the issue.

Comment

8.0.13.1 64

if you try to screenshot the entire screen it will capture everything

if you try to screenshot the chart window it will produce an outline of the chart window but the entire chart area will be missing replaced by a grey background

I believe this has been happened for several major versions of ninjatrader at least - if memory serves

so instead i have to use the built in save functionality which has a granularity of filenames only to the day of the month, no time.. meaning that you can only make 1 screenshot per instrument per day with the default filename, if you want more you have to come up with a new filename.. which is a distraction when you're trying to trade - especially since the most interesting things to screenshot are when the market is moving

Comment

exact steps:

1. ALT-S

Comment

What screenshot tool are you using in which you cannot capture the windows as expected? I am able to use Windows Snipping Tool to capture chart windows without issue. Here is a link with more information on this Windows tool:

Learn how to use Snipping Tool to capture a screenshot, or snip, of any object on your screen, and then annotate, save, or share the image.

I see what you mean with the file name when using ALT+S to take a screenshot, I'll pass your suggestion on to the Development Team as a feature request. I'll edit this post when I receive a tracking number. EDIT: the tracking number is SFT-3192.
          Last edited by NinjaTrader_PatrickG; 05-01-2018, 12:32 PM.

Comment

ShareX - strange, if I use windows to capture then it is ok.. I've never had this problem witth any other program's windows I've captured. I think it is related to phantom windows of ninjatrader. If you go to task view i think ninjatrader creates an extra window per chart, you can see it as a big white block - rather annoying when you have multiple chart windows since it clutters up task view.

Anyhow, please consider adding time to suggested file name since I believe it might be common for some people to save more than 1 screenshot per instrument a day

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by RubenCazorla, Today, 09:07 AM
            2 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
            Started by i019945nj, 12-14-2023, 06:41 AM
            7 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB