Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Back testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back testing

Hello,

I have thoroughly confused myself trying to understand Tick Replay and Back Testing.

Running a Strategy at the Close of a Bar or Tick by Tick
    • During backtest, strategies can ONLY be processed at the close of each bar.
    Is this statement always true, even if Tick Replay has been enabled and my Indicator and Strategies are set to calculate on each tick?

If so, is this a behavior different between indicators and strategies during back testing? Based off the Tick Replay documentation, I would expect the indicator to be updated on each individual tick replay event.
    Last edited by NickyD; 12-11-2017, 03:35 PM.

Hello NickyD,

Thanks for opening the thread.

Tick Replay will allow the strategy (or indicator) to process historical data tick by tick.

I understand where confusion could be drawn. I'll request that the documentation gets updated to better reflect this.

If there are further items that would need clarifying between comparing data results between Historical, Realtime, Market Replay, and using Tick Replay, I suggest to check out my colleague Chelsea's thread and videos here: https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...d.php?t=102504

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_Jim; 12-11-2017, 03:43 PM.
    JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Ok, I think it's making more sense now. So my entry and exit triggers will in fact happen on a tick by tick basis, however the order execution engine does not/may not operate tick by tick. Is that right?

That's why Chelsea recommends adding a second 1 tick data series as outlined here?

Comment

Yes, that would be correct.

For the thread's reference, an example for intra-bar granularity in backtesting can be found here: https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...ead.php?t=6652
        JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by CortexZenUSA, Today, 12:53 AM
        0 responses
        1 view
        0 likes
        Last Post CortexZenUSA  
        Started by CortexZenUSA, Today, 12:46 AM
        0 responses