Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT 8.0.9.0 - Error creating new custom instrument

Hello,

I am trying to create custom instrument in EXTERNAL connection in order to bring in live and historical quotes to test some external instrument.

If I map it as "MSFT" for example - it works just fine.

However, when trying to create a new custom instrument - I am always getting an error:
    Default Error on requesting bars series: 'Unknown instrument ...

And then neither historical nor real time quotes won't work (LastPlayback, Last, Ask).. they won't work and chart will stay empty (without any errors).

However if I fake instrument name to MSFT when sending to Ninja and also set Ninja to use MSFT as instrument - then quotes do work.

I tried different instruments types (FOREX, STOCK), different sessions (24/7), Default and other exchanges - still always get same error when creating new instrument.

Can you please show example of creating a new custom instrument in Ninja 8 and loading it with fake historical and real data?

Thanks a lot!

Hello,

Thank you for the post.

I wanted to check, are you currently defining a symbol mapping for your custom instrument when creating it for the external connection? If not, the instrument would not apply to the connection being used. You would need to define a symbol mapping for the external data feed in the instrument settings. https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...mbolMapSection

If you have done this and it is still not working, I would suggest reviewing the general instrument creation page to ensure all steps are complete. We don't have any guides regarding the external connection or using it how you are currently so that portion you will need to likely experiment with to find the problem. If the program that is using the external data feed is only pushing data for MSFT that may be the problem, that would be something you could review.

You can reference the instrument creation page to see if anything was missed.

Otherwise, you would need to mirror the settings used in the instrument that was working (MSFT) and ensure to give the new instrument both a unique name and symbol map. You would also need to ensure the trading hours used are in session for the new instrument.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
    JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello,

I have done everything you have suggested... No luck.

Now, I am pretty sure I found at least one related bug to it.

Steps to reproduce:
      1. Get the "Client" project working with NT8 as shown in:

Create fake "External" data, connect NT to external connection and set instrumentSend = "MSFT";

Send Real and fake data - they all work and show up on the chart.
      (well, there is small bug that if you do all that with tick chart let's say 2 tick, and then change to 3 tick - historical data will disappear from the chart)...

But the real more important bug is that once we change instrument MSFT to use external symbol map let's say "MXXX", and then in our APIs we set instrumentSend to "MXXX" as well, restart NinjaTrader (although not required), then we won't see any data published to the chart, as if Ninja doesn't take external mapping properly...

Could you please reproduce this issue and address it in the new release?

If you could create a brand new instrument (new unique symbol) and send external data to it - it would really help as well because this feature is NOT working in the newest NT build.

Thanks

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

I just wanted to comment here as it appears some of these questions are shared with another existing post you created: https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...d.php?t=104990

As noted in the original samples thread, this topic is not supported. We will try to address your questions but as this is a nonsupported topic it may be some time before your questions can be reviewed. I would suggest to only edit your existing forum post if you had left out details or want to ask more questions on this topic.

Once we have further details on these items we will reply back to your other thread https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...d.php?t=104990.

Please let me know if I may be of additional assistance.
        JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jesse View Post
          Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

I just wanted to comment here as it appears some of these questions are shared with another existing post you created: https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...d.php?t=104990

As noted in the original samples thread, this topic is not supported. We will try to address your questions but as this is a nonsupported topic it may be some time before your questions can be reviewed. I would suggest to only edit your existing forum post if you had left out details or want to ask more questions on this topic.

Once we have further details on these items we will reply back to your other thread https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...d.php?t=104990.

Please let me know if I may be of additional assistance.
          Hello Jesse,

Thanks for the info.

I will be waiting to see when you could verify if the feature is working properly (creating new custom instrument and sending data to it through External connection - to verify whether the External Mapping works properly with newly defined instrument).

The other thread is basically a feature request of creating milliseconds resolution for LastPlayback.

Thanks again.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by Gerik, Today, 09:40 AM
          1 response
          0 likes
          Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
          Started by RookieTrader, Today, 09:37 AM
          1 response
          0 likes