X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COMPUTER SPECS? question on CORE usage with NT8

Fixing typos first...

hey there,

I have a 4 core processor, but I have not seen CPU usage rise above 20% when running strategies. Although, NT8 utilizes multiple cores, it looks like it cannot split up utilization during the strategy part of it?

That's unfortunate, because nt8 crashes for a strategy of just over 50 stocks with 4+ time frames. I'm using a latest i7 core with 16GB ram DDR4 and sizeable L3 cache. I have latest windows 10.

Running single time frame gives me just 50%+ profitable strategy, but it's above 80%+ if I run multiple time frames of the same strategy, and only take entries when 3+ time frames align. However when nasdaq100 at 4 time frames is 400 concurrent strategies and nt8 freezes.

What type of computers do folks use here, when running NT8 strategies? I have to apply selective bias on "top picks" and cannot just run the whole lot, as it won't function. My list is basically cut short to about 50 stocks only.

It seems to be a limitation of NT8, and I can live with it, but just looking for suggestions, as I might be looking for a dual-core processor, where each core is more capable, with higher CACHE size, and adding more RAM.

Thanks for sharing your computer specs.
    Last edited by lmatiukas; 10-12-2017, 02:40 PM.

Hello lmatiukas,
    Can you please clarify which window you are applying these strategies in? For example the using real time data in the control center or being backtested in the Strategy Analyzer?

Please Note: Even though NinjaTrader 8 is a powerful multi threaded application there are still limitations that will apply to the platform and your PC.

Comment

Back test is no issue even for sp500 and takes about 25 minutes to back test all time frames 2 months back+.

The freezer issue happens in control center in real time, whereas it will either disconnect from TD feed (I'm watching output and it will happen some half way in when loading).

Sometimes I'm successful after 3-4 results after restarting NT8, where it will not loose feed and won't crash. My worry is that at no point does CPU usage go above 20%, indicating to me that only single core is being used for strategies. Maybe 2nd core would be used for charting and that's better than before in NT7, BUT if I only care about strategies, it doesn't help.

So, I'm wondering other people if they run many strategies 200-300+, how do they do it, and what specs they have.

Comment

Got a screenshot + more

Just happened again, and I was monitoring Task manager while loading up strategies. I touched nothing on the computer, and no other active task was going on.

Upon choosing "DEBUG", I get a .NET framework exception in NinjaTrader.exe [14224] - is that the line reference?

CPU Usage got as high as 27% while loading up the programs, and I have 4 core i7, each core at 3.6GHz. Memory didn't go past 1.5GB out of 16GB total.

UPDATE - seemingly not a computer limitation, as with those specs not even 25% usage is really reached. Additionally it 1) crashed overnight while strategies were already running for many hours, and 2) crashes on "enabling" strategies, with nothing in the output screen just yet.

Sadly, when clicking debug, my windows visual studio opens, but I get an error trying to open the debug file from NT8.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by lmatiukas; 10-13-2017, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Hello lmatiukas,
          I would like to review your log and trace to see if there are any errors reporting on why the crash is occurring:
          Please send me your log and trace files so that I may look into what occurred to platformsupport[at]ninjatrader[dot]com.

- Open your NinjaTrader folder under My Documents.
          - Right click on the 'log' and 'trace' folders and select Send To> Compressed (zipped) Folder.
          - Send the 2 compressed folders as attachments to this email.
          - Once complete, you can delete these compressed folders.

Within the body of the email please add:
          ATTN RyanM
          https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...d.php?t=105013

Comment

I've sent you the files.

The most interesting part is that after multiple NT8 restarts, and my computer restarts, and trying to load up one strategy at a time, and selecting all to enable at once, after about 15-20 times of various crashes it loaded up and is now running again.

I've sent the relevant log/trace files when it crashed and when it didn't.

Thanks

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by sightcareclickhere, Today, 01:55 PM
            0 responses
            1 view
            0 likes
            Last Post sightcareclickhere  
            Started by Mindset, 05-06-2023, 09:03 PM
            9 responses