NT8 freezes - unhandled exception error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello sledge,

last time NT8 froze, there were 2456 MB of ram available.

ChrisL in his last post gave an interesting explanation why the out of memory exception happened. Could be a good idea though to install another 8 or 16 GB of ram.

Paging file was configured by the Samsung Magician program and set to 200 MB as I wrote. I checked this in Windows. I could try to set it to automatic and see what happens, even though this would probably slightly diminish the live expectancy of my SSD.

Comment

Hello Cugel,

Thank you for your patience.

Your new logs do have the same crash report, but it still does not point to exactly what is causing the crash. The last activity in NinjaTrader was a strategy running on GC 12-17.

'Vanilla' NinjaTrader (NinjaTrader with no third party add-ons) rarely crashes on its own. If your computer has 8GB of memory or over, you should be able to run NinjaTrader for quite some time. Instead of removing all indicators then adding them back one at a time, try taking off the strategy that is running on the GC chart, if there is no crash happening after this, please contact the vendor of this script and make them aware of the error the script is causing.

Try to point out any indicators/strategies that seem to take a lot of PC resources. You could also monitor your computer resources in Windows Task Manager, remove a suspect indicator/strategy, and observe your PC resources again.

Please let us know if we may be of any further assistance.
      Chris L.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello Chris,

thanks for your ongoing support.

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChrisL
        'Vanilla' NinjaTrader (NinjaTrader with no third party add-ons) rarely crashes on its own.
        This is just another way to say:
        'Vanilla' NinjaTrader (NinjaTrader with no third party add-ons) sometimes crashes on its own.

I do not have any third party add-ons and consequently can't blame these NT8 crashes on any third party vendors. I do all the programming myself, indicators and strategies. I run the same strategy on CL, GC and YM. The indicators are used by the strategy and can't be removed without changing the strategy obviously.

I stand by what I stated in post #8. In short,

1. this is a bug in NT8. The software development team was well aware that this exception might be thrown, but they left it unhandled.
        2. trying to find the indicator that NT8 doesn't like from time to time would take me several months. I can't switch indicators off because they are incorporated in the strategy. Switching off the strategy would leave me with a bare chart, which makes no sense.

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChrisL
        If your computer has 8GB of memory or over, you should be able to run NinjaTrader for quite some time.
        Having worked with computers for more than 3 decades, this is the first time ever that I see a software vendor openly admit that the software sold is designed to run "quite some time" and then crash. This is actually a very funny remark. Thank you for making me laugh today, life is hard enough, and this was a welcome relief.

I get the impression that this thread goes around in circles now, and I don't want to waste any more of your time. Could you just please kindly answer the following questions so that I know what I have to do next?

1. Are you going to address the real problem here, ie an unhandled exception which crashes NT8, in one of the next builds?
        2. If the answer to the question 1 above is "no", would NT8 run "quite some time" longer if I added more RAM?
        3. If the answer to the question 1 above is "no", would NT8 run "quite some time" longer if ran the strategy only on one future instead of 3?

Looking forward to your answer.

Comment

Hello Cugel,

Thank you for the follow-up. By running for 'quite some time' I mean indefinitely, but memory management is handled by your operating system anyway, which is why NinjaTrader will crash when the page that Windows has given the application is filled. You do not need to buy more RAM for your computer, this is a software crash, not a hardware crash. If you cause a race condition in the UI thread in your custom indicator, the application will crash. Here are the multithreading considerations for NinjaTrader 8:

I would like to remote into your computer and take a look. Please follow the same procedure in the previous posts to email us and the ticket will be assigned to me. Once I receive your email we will set up a time for a remote support session.

I look forward to assisting further.

Comment

Hello Cugel,

I wanted to confirm that you saw my previous post.

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChrisL View Post
            Hello Cugel,

Thank you for the follow-up. By running for 'quite some time' I mean indefinitely, but memory management is handled by your operating system anyway, which is why NinjaTrader will crash when the page that Windows has given the application is filled. You do not need to buy more RAM for your computer, this is a software crash, not a hardware crash. If you cause a race condition in the UI thread in your custom indicator, the application will crash. Here are the multithreading considerations for NinjaTrader 8:

I would like to remote into your computer and take a look. Please follow the same procedure in the previous posts to email us and the ticket will be assigned to me. Once I receive your email we will set up a time for a remote support session.

I look forward to assisting further.

Comment

problem solved

Hello Chris,

thanks for generously offering a remote support session. NT support has always been excellent and I appreciate that.

Fortunately it is not necessary though because I think I have found the solution to this problem.

I've searched the internet and found a thread in another forum where NT8 users tried to find workarounds for "issues" they had with the program.
              One user wrote that NT8 became stable and reliable after he followed these steps:

Every day:

clear NT8 cache and in db clear cache and the contents of day, min, and tick as well as _Workspaces.

Every Week, delete titled workspaces and rebuild them.

I did a "light version" of this protocol and just deleted the db which I had never done before despite having run NT8 for the whole trading session every day since I switched from NT7.

I did this on monday morning. NT8 ran flawlessly for the whole week which had not happened for a long time. If NT8 stays stable for another week, we can definitely say that this problem is solved.
              But even now I'm already 99% sure.

Chris, please let me know if it's ok to put a link to the above mentioned post in the other forum here in this thread. Could be of help to other NT8 users.

Comment

I'd like to hear evaluation and confirmations from NT support team in regards to this info from Cugel. I've deleted in the past, eventually, just a DB-Cache, but never the other contents cause I think it might actually affect the software or data.

Looking forward
                Thanks

Comment

Hello Cugel,

Thanks for the follow-up.

I am thinking the size of your paging file is too small. The size of my paging file is 2GB.

Please see this publicly available link to adjust the size if this file:

Expanding this should prevent the need to edit the database periodically.

In response to pstrusi,

Refreshing the database will not affect running performance in any way. To name a few things, it will delete your trade executions, any historical data that you have downloaded, and reset the simulation and playback accounts.

To generate a fresh database, navigate to Documents/NinjaTrader and rename the 'db' folder to 'dbOLD'.

I look forward to hearing of your results.

Comment

Hello together,

I use NT 8.0.9.0 and get the same error from time to time (as far I remember it happened under all NT8 versions). Got the error the last time during chart scrolling (with some NT default indicators) and some other open workspaces.

Unhandled exception: Nicht genügend Quoten verfügbar, um diesen Befehl zu verarbeiten

NinjaTrader Trace Logs:
                    --- Exception Trace ---
                    2017-10-18 13:34:21:656 *************** unhandled exception trapped ***************
                    2017-10-18 13:34:21:656 Nicht genügend Quoten verfügbar, um diesen Befehl zu verarbeiten
                    2017-10-18 13:34:21:658 System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): Nicht genügend Quoten verfügbar, um diesen Befehl zu verarbeiten
                    at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.PostMessage(HandleRef hwnd, WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
                    at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowSett ings(Boolean enableRenderTarget, Nullable`1 channelSet)
                    at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowPos( IntPtr lParam)
                    at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.HandleMessage(Wi ndowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
                    at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.HwndTargetFilter Message(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
                    at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
                    at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation( Object o)
                    at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.Internal RealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
                    at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatch When(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
                    --- Trace End ---

Then only a process kill helps to bring NT back. Any fix or solution would be very appreciated!

Edit: my RAM is 8GB and pagefile is 1,3GB.
                    At last error used phys memory by NT was about 1GB.

Best regards
                    Last edited by tulx2305; 10-18-2017, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Hello tulx2305,

Thanks for writing in to our Support team.

Please send me your log and trace files so I can investigate this further.

You can do this by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Mail to Platform Support.

Ensuring 'Log and Trace Files' is checked will include these files. This is checked by default.

Please put ATTN Alan S in the subject line and include this link in the body of the email:
                      https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...d.php?t=104749

I look forward to your reply.
                      Alan S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by philmg, Today, 01:17 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post philmg
                      by philmg