Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tasuki View Post
    jcrza et al,
    OK, if it's not RAM-related, then what IS causing the lag? RAM issues seemed like a logical answer, but if you (or anyone else) have a better idea, please let us know!
    Thanks,
    Tasuki
    p.s. by the way, the majority of my lagging is in the SuperDOM. The charts don't seem to lag much, but the SuperDOM lags horribly. Does anyone else have a similar problem?
    @Tasuki: I'd recommend a more systematical approach to find the reasons for your issues.
    Open a new, empty workspace
    Close all other workspaces
    Open one chart, e.g. APPL or Crude, 3Min or 5Min. with Template <empty> or <Default>
    Make sure you have no indicators on this chart, turn off gridlines, turn off Crosshair cursor
    Does it already lag?
    If yes, there might be an insufficent hardware, network or data provider.
    If no, start adding back all stuff, step by step.
    Add indicators, one by one. Enable crosshair. Enable gridlines. Open additional charts.
    At what point does it start to lag?

I have multiple monitors (2560x1600, 1920x1200, 1920x1080), Intel i7-6700K 4 GHz, 16 GB RAM, all SSD and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070, plus a 1 GBit landline, plus data provider Rhitmic - and I'm absolutely happy the way NT8 behaves, no signs of lagging (as long as I don't zoom the chart to display something like 1000 visible bars on one chart).
    Last edited by RonnyKeller; 10-26-2017, 10:54 AM.

Comment

RK,
      Thanks for the good advice. I'll give it a try. As I mentioned, my only lag, at least all I can see, is in the SuperDOM. The charts are fine, just like yours. What I want to know is why the damn SuperDOM is lagging---the price on the chart moves away from where I entered (hopefully in my direction , but the price on the SuperDOM takes up to 30 seconds to catch up. THAT's my problem. Pretty scary in a fast market.
      Tasuki

Comment

Originally posted by Tasuki View Post
        SuperDOM is lagging---the price on the chart moves away from where I entered (hopefully in my direction , but the price on the SuperDOM takes up to 30 seconds to catch up. THAT's my problem. Pretty scary in a fast market.
        Tasuki
        Hello Tasuki,
        Please write in to PlatformSupport(at)NinjaTrader(dot)com with this item and we would be happy to look into this.
        Josh G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

@Tasuki: 30 seconds lag is scary in ANY market, would mean "untradeable" for me.
          I never use the DOM, so I was pretty surprised when I put DOM and chart next to each other (today's ES 12-17, around the closing-bell) and saw that the DOM not only is NOT lagging, but it's almost ridiculously more responsive than the chart; guess this is due to the refresh rate of charts which still can't be adjusted in NT8 (refresh rate was much better in NT7).

But watch yourself:

Comment

Originally posted by RonnyKeller View Post
            @Tasuki: 30 seconds lag is scary in ANY market, would mean "untradeable" for me.
            I never use the DOM, so I was pretty surprised when I put DOM and chart next to each other (today's ES 12-17, around the closing-bell) and saw that the DOM not only is NOT lagging, but it's almost ridiculously more responsive than the chart; guess this is due to the refresh rate of charts which still can't be adjusted in NT8 (refresh rate was much better in NT7).

But watch yourself:
            https://photos.app.goo.gl/TeeUpayn24wyRCkn2
            RK,
            You so right, homie. I be sure to be careful--- only take them live trades when absolutely everything lines up right. Anyway, I see by the color of your SuperDOM that you're on sim trading, not live trading, at least for the pic you posted. Theoretically, you'd imagine, I think, that the lag might be more significant with a live trade, because with sim trading, the orders reside just on your computer (is that right?), while with live trading, your computer has to send the trade to the exchange, which has to execute it and then send the fill data back to your computer. That has to result in some kind of lag. This is exactly when I wish I were more of a computer geek.

Whether the lag in orders would be reflected in the charts or in the SuperDOM is another question and one that sadly I can't answer. Anybody got a clue about this? Actually, that doesn't seem to make sense---when you're *not* in a trade, just watching and waiting, the fact that you've set your NT8 to live trading shouldn't make the charts or SuperDOM lag compared to those same charts and SuperDOM when you've switched to Sim. Or am I missing something?
            Last edited by Tasuki; 10-26-2017, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Hello

I have the same problem, the charts lag and the dom not lag.

Comment

alazif, Actually that's the opposite problem from mine: my charts seem to be OK, but it's the DOM that lags badly (but only in a fast market).
                Tasuki

Comment

major improvement: change computer clock sync

I've posted several replies to the thread re: NT8 lagging, and it looks like Josh at Ninjatrader just figured it out, because my charts and esp. SuperDOM are *much* more responsive than before. The difference is very gratifying.

Previously, my computer's internal clock was synced to time.windows.com, but as Josh explained, the markets run off of a different server, namely "time.nist.gov" (nist stands for "National Institute for Standards and Technology).

The instructions have several steps, but they're well worth taking if you trade intraday and you want your Ninjatrader charts and DOM to be updating in a timely manner:

Instructions for changing windows internal clock on Windows 10:
                  Sync your PC clock. Please use the steps below to change/check your Time Zone and sync the PC clock:

• Shutdown NinjaTrader
                  • Right-click the clock in the lower right corner of your desktop
                  • Select Adjust date/time
                  • For Windows 10 click 'Additional date, time, & regional settings' -> then click 'Set the time and date'
                  • Select the 'Internet Time' tab at the top
                  • Set the server to time.nist.gov and then click Update.
                  • If the message that appears says successful your PC clock should now be updated.
                  • If not, select a different server from the Server: drop-down and try again (repeat until one of the servers is successful)

After updating the PC clock, please restart NinjaTrader, then right-click the chart and select Reload All Historical Data.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are Josh's instructions for changing the clock on Windows 7 computers:
                  Please use the steps below to change/check your Time Zone and sync the PC clock in Windows 7:

• Close NinjaTrader.
                  • Open the Windows Control Panel
                  • Select Date and Time
                  • Press 'Change time zone...'.
                  • Set the time zone and press 'OK'.
                  • Click on Internet Time tab.
                  • Set the server to time.nist.gov and then click Update.
                  • Ensure to check for a message under the Update button that says it was successful.
                  • If it did not properly sync, even after a few tries, try manually setting your PC clock and then syncing.

Your PC clock should now be updated.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Hope this helps,
                  Tasuki

Comment

Glad your problem is resolved. I'd like to add that Windows (10, 8 or 7) synchronizes the time of your PC more like "once in a while" (few times a week, maybe). The update-interval can neither be forced nor defined - it updates the time whenever Windows "thinks" it's been long enough since the last time.

Two things about this:

a) most Win 10 users are not aware that many background system tasks are NOT triggered or initiated when SHUTTING DOWN a PC and starting it the other day manually. Microsoft calls this behavior "fast startup" which I think is horrible, since many system tasks get never executed that way. They WILL be executed whenever you use the option "Restart" instead of "shut down" (drove me nuts until I found out).
                    This stupid "fast startup"-option can be disabled under "Power Options" and I highly recommend that step to make sure the time sync gets triggered more often. Perhaps you have to Google about how to turn it off.

b) I added a small USB-based interface to my computer which can receive the radio signals of the World's Atomic Clocks AND can adjust the PC's clock like every other minute to the absolutely correct time. Such a device can be bought for some 50 to 100 bucks, I guess. Mine is for Europe, but I'm pretty sure they exist in other regions of the world, too.
                    Mine was a bit of a pain to setup, but finally it worked (once I turned off "Fast Startup"!), and I even wrote some code for NT 8 to display status-info from this Atomic Time Device on my charts. I can see now that my PC's internal watch gets updated like a dozen times per hour, mostly only a few milliseconds up or down, but they're adding up over the day. As I'm day trading on a 5-Min chart and as the EXACT moment of a bar-close is important to my trading, I do trust my charts and my PC much more now. You may want to look for such a device, too.
                    Last edited by RonnyKeller; 11-09-2017, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Hello. I have only 4 charts with footprint in a workspace. and i have 3 minutes of delay or more along the trading sessions.

When I disconnect from the data feed, ninjatrader continue charting the candles of footprint since arrive to the time i disconnect the data feed.

I have tried various footprint indicators and I have the same problem with all.
                      Last edited by alazif; 11-13-2017, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Hello alazif,
                        Thanks for your post.
                        I believe what you are experiencing is unrelated to the original topic of this thread.
                        Please write in to PlatformSupport(at)NinjaTrader(dot)com with this item and we would be happy to look into it.
                        Josh G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Tasuki,

Thanks for your previous posts and for the info.

I tried the steps that you mentioned that worked for you, but my NT8 still freezes (requiring I crash the program), it froze on me three times in the last two days while trading.

Because of that I will be testing out using NT7 with VPS and NT8 for chart analysis.

My question for you is, how much RAM do you have on your PC and how new is your PC?

Also, I always use Chart Trader and ATM Strategies; do you ever use Chart Trader with ATM Strategies?

Below are all the things I tried that have not resolved the freezing issue for me:

Deactivated Selection of Drag/Drop Chart Series:

Launch NT8; then go into each of your charts and do the following: Right click on the chart > Select Properties > uncheck "Allow the selection of drag/drop chart series" > Press OK
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Changed the windows internal clock on Windows 10 to time.nist.gov
                          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Disabled Fast Startup in Windows 10, follow these simple instructions:

* Open your*Control Panel. Look for Control Panel in start menu.

* Now in*Control Panel*click on 'System and Security' look for*Power Options.

* Look for an option that reads*Choose what the power button does and click it. This will open up a new Window and here you can see more options.

* Now look for the check box with text*Turn on fast startup.

* Uncheck it if you want Fast startup disabled.
                          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Performed the following performance tips:

Went through list of NT8 CPU intensive items:

-We always recommend restarting or shutting down your PC at least once a day. If you have not done so today, please troubleshoot by doing so now.

-Running multiple applications while NinjaTrader is running has been known to affect NinjaTrader's performance. Please limit the number of running applications on your PC to troubleshoot. Web browsers have been specifically known to consume a lot of resources.

-Limiting a number of workspaces that you have running. You may check this by navigating to the Control Center > Workspaces. Any workspaces with overlapping boxes to the left of the workspace name is an open and running workspace. To close a workspace hover your mouse over the workspace you would like to close and click close.

-Having a minimum Days to load on your charts will be less intensive. This setting can be found by right-clicking on your charts and selecting Data Series.

-The indicator option Calculate set to On each tick or On price change is known to be a more CPU intensive settings. Setting it to On bar close is less intensive. You may find this setting by right-clicking on your chart and selecting Indicators. Once the Indicators window appears, the setting will be located to the right-hand side of the window.

-Large databases have been known to slow down NinjaTrader. If the above doesn't work, what size is your database? You may check this by navigating to the Documents > NinjaTrader 8 > db folder. Next, right-click on the file called NinjaTrader.sdf and select Properties. The size of the database will be in the General tab.

-Also, if you are running a custom or 3rd party indicator or strategy, remove them to isolate if these custom NinjaScript objects may be a CPU or memory drain.

Comment

We just released NinjaTrader 8.0.11.0 which includes performance upgrades to the crosshair.

Comment

Which of course fails on installation and now NT8 no longer works. This time I can't even run an uninstall through Windows because that also no longer works on NT8. I am so XXXXXXX sick of this XXXX.

Comment

Not all clients are experiencing issues installing the new version. Please write into PlatformSupport[AT]NinjaTrader[DOT]com so we may assist you with what you're experiencing.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by Barry Milan, Yesterday, 10:35 PM
                                5 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
                                Started by DanielSanMartin, Yesterday, 02:37 PM
                                2 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post DanielSanMartin