Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

NT8 Strategy Analyzer; Optimizations Allowed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT8 Strategy Analyzer; Optimizations Allowed

Hello,

I am using the NT8 Strategy Analyzer to try to run some Optimizations, but I notice that some of my strategies do not have parameters that I can optimize.

I am assuming that the strategy that I plan to run an optimization on can only have one indicator in it, is that right?

And I am assuming that the indicator that I try to run an optimization on must have a Parameters area; as shown in the attached screenshot, is that correct?

For example, with the VOL indicator, I do not see any parameters, such as that of the Sample MA Crossover strategy that comes with NT8; so I am assuming that I cannot do any type of optimization on the VOL indicator, is that right?

What do I need to see in an indicator to know that I will be able to create a Strategy with it and then run Optimizations on it?

And is there anything else besides indicators, that I can run an optimization on?

Thanks for your time,
    Attached Files

Hello i2w8am9ii2,

Thank you for your note.

You are not restricted to only one indicator per strategy.

Yes, the screen shot shows the SMA inputs which can be optimized. A strategy must have these if you wish to run an optimization.

The volume indicator, which plots volume for a given bar, does not have any user inputs, correct. There would be no reason for an input. The SMA which does a calculation based off a user inputted period, has inputs. I suggest looking at the SMA code under Properties for an example of how to create a user input which can be optimized.

You could also optimize the Data Series. Within the optimizer window you could scroll down under optimize, Optimize Data Series. This would allow you to find the data series the strategy performed best historically, which obviously is no guarantee of how it will perform in the future.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.
    Attached Files
    Alan P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the info.

So if I understand correctly, optimizing the Data Series for the volume indicator would mean that I could see if the volume on a 1 minute chart gives more profits than the same amount of volume on a 5 minute chart or 15 minute chart, is that correct?

Also, I saw a video on the NT8 Strategy Builder where Input Parameters were created, and then the user could later access them for use in the Strategy Analyzer.

If I created an int Input in the Strategy Builder 'Inputs and Variables' section, would that allow me to make any additional inputs when optimizing the volume indicator?

Screenshot attached.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hello i2w8am9ii2,

Yes, you could use the strategy builder to create user inputs and these would be able to be optimized. This is a great way to create user inputs.

To optimize a data series you would need to create enter and exit logic which produces trades. The time series with the best profits would be returned. The Volume indicator does not equate to profits, so you would need logic such as if volume of this bar is greater than last, enter long. This would be something you could optimize.

Comment

Hi Alan,

Great. Thanks for the details.

If I were to create a user defined input, I only have the option of creating a bool, double, string, int, or time entry.

How could I then later access that Input to help with optimizing the volume indicator or other such indicator?

Do you folks have any video instruction on doing something like that? Or would I find such instructions in the online help?

Comment

Hello i2w8am9ii2,

You could see the SampleMACrossOver strategy preloaded on NinjaTrader for an example of a strategy which has int user inputs (Fast+Slow) that are passed to the SMA indicator which has user inputs. The indicator uses these inputs for the period of the SMA.

I would also suggest the following link of our helpguide,

Comment

Thanks Alan,

I created a user defined Input, and as the attached screenshot shows, I could access my user defined Input (that I named VolumePercent), but it was empty when I tried to use it.

Screenshots attached.

What would I need to change to be able to optimize the VOL indicator based on a user defined Input, as shown in what I have created so far?
              Attached Files

Comment

Hello i2w8am9ii2,

When you compile the strategy and apply it to a data series either on a chart or in the strategy analyzer you will be provided an input box in the UI, just like the SampleMaCrossover strategy.

The condition you wrote says if volume is above the user inputted value.

Comment

Great. Thanks for all your help Alan.

I do appreciate it.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post jaybedreamin