Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Strategy Builder - Trailing Stop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strategy Builder - Trailing Stop

Hi All!

I'm currently developing my own automated strategy using the Strategy Builder tool in Ninjatrader 8 and would like to incorporate a trailing stop.

I use Renko charts and the type of trailing stop I'd like is as follows:

For every 4 bricks in profit move stop up by 1 brick.

For this, I'd like to use the close of the bricks.

It's quite a simple trailing stop but I can't work out how to do it in the Strategy Builder tool.

If possible I'd like to keep using the Strategy Builder tool as my coding skills are non existent.

Thanks in advance!

Hello Jimbobulus,

Welcome to the forums!

The Set methods in the Stops and Targets section of the Strategy Builder only allow for simple stops and targets that cannot be changed dynamically. Programming by hand will offer more flexibility, but you can also create your own logic in Conditions and Actions that controls how you would like to exit.

We can not offer services to design strategy logic in the support department, but you may conceptualize the following as an example:
    1. If the strategy is flat, set a bool to controlling your auto trail behaviors to false. Then Enter.
    2. If the strategy is not flat and some condition happens that you would like to trigger your auto trail, set the bool to true.
    3. If the strategy is not flat and the bool is false, place your initial stop loss as an Exit Order.
    4. If the strategy is not flat and the bool is true, modify the Exit Order in association to the current market price.

More information on using the Strategy Builder can be found below.

Strategy Builder 301 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCyt90GAs9k

Another tip for using the Strategy Builder would be to add prints so you can better monitor the logic as it is running so you can make corrections when necessary.

Debugging with the Strategy Builder - https://www.screencast.com/t/8uvjfM8h

If there is anything else we can do to help please let us know.
    JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the info!

Can a strategy constructed in the Strategy Builder tool refer to an ATM Strategy for position entry?

Thanks

Comment

Hello Jimbobulus,

There is a bit more that is involved when creating a NinjaScript strategy that initiates ATM strategies that is currently not possible through the Strategy Builder. This is possible in an unlocked strategy, however. The SampleAtmStrategy NinjaScript strategy can be referenced as a working example and I'll also include documentation resources at the end of this post for the thread's reference.

We do have a feature request open that is tracking the demand to use Atm Strategies in the Builder and I'll submit a vote on your behalf.

We collect interest in feature requests before determining if the feature should be implemented. For that reason we cannot offer an ETA. Upon implementation, the number for the ticket ID can be publicly found in the Release Notes page of the help guide.

Release Notes - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ease_notes.htm

Using Atm Strategies - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...strategies.htm

Atm Strategy methods - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...gy_methods.htm

If it is of interest to you, we can also have a representative of our EcoSystem provide additional information on NinjaScript Consultants that would be happy to write this strategy at your request.

Please let us know if that is the case, and we will have someone reach out.

Comment

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the info and the support, much appreciated.

That is something I would be interested in and has my vote.

With regards to my desired trailing stop, would it be possible to have this coded as an indicator, similar to the parabolic SAR, and be able to use it in the strategy builder tool as a trailing stop? That way I'd be able to develop other strategies with it. If it is possible I would appreciate being contacted by a representative of the EcoSystem.

Thanks

Comment

Hello Jimbobulus,

If you are referring to the trailing stop from post 1 where you detect if you have seen 4 bricks of profit before updating the stop loss, this will have to be done in the strategy because it involves the profit of the strategy's position. Indicators do not have any knowledge of strategy trades and this sort of trail stop could not be provided by an indicator.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by algospoke, Yesterday, 06:40 PM
            2 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post algospoke  
            Started by ghoul, Today, 06:02 PM
            3 responses
            0 likes