Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Line F2 Global Drawing Object not appearing on Tick Chart

Hello,
    Please see attached screen captures. First 2 show F2 lines drawn on 1min appear on 5min but not on third capture of Tick chart.

Also note the Horizontal Line F6 appears on all 3.

So F2 Lines Global drawn on Minute chart appear on other Minute (also on Seconds charts, just haven't captured), but not on Tick

F6 Global drawn on Minute appear on Minute and Tick as expected

Edit - they are there, drawing backwards in time on the Tick from the start point

Kind regards,
    Bruce
    Attached Files
    Last edited by brucerobinson; 08-13-2018, 08:24 AM.

Hello Bruce,

Thanks for the post.

On the Tick chart, try turning off equidistant bar spacing in the chart properties (Right click chart> Properties>Equidistant bar spacing). This will plot the chart as the ticks actually came in. Doing this could help in comparing tick charts and minute charts. Could you please post a screenshot of what you mean by the tools drawing backward in time?

I look forward to your reply.
    Chris L.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello Chris and thanks.
      Will try equi when at my machine.
      Re: backward in time - say line first anchor at 13:00hrs on minute chart, last anchor point at 13:05.
      On tick chart, the line draws first anchor point at 13:00hrs, last anchor point is before that in time e.g. 12:fifty-something, say. I.e it is drawing the line from the same first anchor start point but drawing right to left 'backwards in time' on the tick chart. Which is why I at first Post thought it wasn't being drawn, it was not visible on my historic data in the chart window (it's a fast tick chart so less data visible). It is there - just drawing backwards)
      Kind regards,
      Bruce

Comment

Hello Chris,
        Turning off Equidistant bar spacing eliminates the problem of 'the line being backwards in time' i.e. it is a problem associated with the use of Equidistant Line Spacing when using Global Drawing Objects.
        Kind regards
        Bruce

Comment

Hello Bruce,

Thanks for the reply.

So that I can reproduce what you are seeing, please save the current workspace, then post the workspace file you are using here on this thread.

You can find the workspace file under ..\Documents\NinjaTrader 8\workspaces

Alternatively, you may send the workspace file to platformsupport[at]ninjatrader[dot]com and past the link to this thread in the body.

Comment

Hello Chris and thanks.
            Please find attached Workspace.
            I think I may have some inkling of what it may be to do with, which may or may not be to do with Equidistant bars.

I had an issue recently with a Ray appearing at different location using Global Drawing. ChelseaB (IIRC) responded that it is a known issue if the last anchor point is ahead of price in time. I believe a similar thing is happening here - draw an F2 line on a minute-based and put the final anchor ahead of current price. It works as expected on another time-based chart, but the Global drawn line on the tick chart 'draws the line backwards'.

Now I know I can workaround it, but it shouldn't be.

I don't know if equidistant bars is connected, or not

I don't expect you should have problems replicating and don't believe it is specific to my workspace.

Kind regards
            Bruce
            Attached Files
            Last edited by brucerobinson; 08-14-2018, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Hello Bruce,

Thanks for the reply.

I do not see your workspace file attached to your post. When you click reply, click "Go Advanced", then click the paper clip on top, a file dialogue will appear, that is where you will upload the file.

Comment

Hello Chris and thanks.
                Hmmm.
                "So that I can reproduce what you are seeing, please save the current workspace, then post the workspace file you are using here on this thread"
                Thought I'd done that, but now see .xml isn't valid file format (assumed), and it doesn't usefully not allow you or tell you it hasn't worked, just let's you do it complete and non the wiser :-(

Should be attached zip

Kind regards
                Bruce
                Attached Files

Comment

Hello Bruce.

Sorry, I did not catch that. I will review now.

Thanks in advance for your patience.

Comment

Hello Bruce,

Thanks for your patience.

The workspace uploaded causes issues in my installation for some reason. I tried to reproduce this on my workspace but I was unable to do so. Please see the screenshot below.

Ultimately, I believe what you are seeing is expected since we are comparing tick charts to minute charts. If you go into the drawing tools properties, you can see the anchor point times. Mine are the same. Could you post a screenshot of what you are seeing?

Comment

Hello Chris and thanks.

I've attached Minute and corresponding Tick.

Several of the lines (those drawn diagonally although I don't believe that to be relevant, just referring to it for identification) are as expected.
                      The two horizontal lines are not. The Properties show that the End time is earlier than the start time on the tick chart examples, whilst correct per the time on the Minute chart examples.

Kind regards,

Bruce
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by brucerobinson View Post
                        Edit - they are there, drawing backwards in time on the Tick from the start point
                        The global drawobjects "drawing the wrong way" can be duplicated on a single chart by:

It's night, so open a new CL chart.. any instrument that is trading..
                        manually add 2 dataseries... one 10 volume and the other 20 volume..
                        (Applied to Same Panel!)(equidistant bar spacing to true)
                        (any two or more tick based dataseries will work)

Now draw Line from say 20 30 bars back to past the last bar on chart..

Now double click line and from properties set "Attatch to" to All Charts and click OK..

Walla..

But this goes more systemic than just manually drawn global objects..
                        (doesn't matter if manual or script, or global or not)

As this seems to be effecting one of my scripts as well..

But ONLY when it's applied to a chart that has multiple manually added dataseries..
                        (with at least one being tick driven)

Bruce.. you mentioned something about ChelseaB responding about a known issue when the last anchor point is ahead of price in time.

Could you please point me to that thread?

-=Edge=-
                        NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - High Tech Trading Analysis

Comment

Hello Edge,
                          Excellent, thanks for the detail. Saves me losing even more of my life to perpetual NT8 de-bugging.
                          See here: https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...d.php?t=110674
                          I can sleep easy assured it's just something else I've had the mis-fortune to stumble upon that doesn't work correctly.
                          My work here is done.
                          Kind regards,
                          Bruce

Comment

Hello brucerobinson,

Thanks for your patience.

I have found this issue to be expected in R15, this has been fixed in the next update. It happens because when equidistant bar spacing is on, the times on the x-axis are printed whenever the non time-based bar closes, so drawing into the future is an estimation of where the data will be at the end point. That is why it works with equidistant bar spacing off, the chart has an absolute number of time slots to draw.

Please let me know if I can assist further.

Comment

Hello Chris and thanks.
                              Marvellous and I think I even understand the explanation (I'm happy thinking so, regardless).
                              Booboo's a happy bear, or at least he will be when it works when R16 descends upon us.
                              thanks for the info.
                              Kind regards,
                              Bruce

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by algospoke, Today, 06:40 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post algospoke  
                              Started by maybeimnotrader, Today, 05:46 PM