Adaptive SuperTrend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by price777999 View Post
    this is a great indicator ! im using settings 0.0006 on 2 minute bars, could someone build a paint bar option into it ....please

thank you lgarcia3 !
    0.0006 looks a LITTLE too small, with signals triggered too often. No?.

Comment

no i dont think so, this is with a 0.0001 setting

Comment

Originally posted by price777999 View Post
        no i dont think so, this is with a 0.0001 setting
        http://www.screencast.com/users/pric...2-04cdc1092704
        OK thanks. I was looking at a ES chart. Obviously the parameter needs adjusting or optimizing depending on the market and volatility.

Comment

Hi price, I was wondering what stock/contract is that with those settings?
          Thanks!

Comment

Never mind, British pound, correct? I did not see the 6B the first time.
            Thanks

Comment

Hello,
              I too like this indicator. Great job.
              I too would like to place my vote for a paint bar option with this indicator.
              One color of bars when above the line and another color of bars when below the line.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by lgarcia3 View Post
                Hi price, I was wondering what stock/contract is that with those settings?
                Thanks!

hi again lg:

I went into the code.

The original supertrend code uses a PRICE +/- multiplier*ATR(period). Where period is fixed and ATR is a measure of volatility (amplitude).

Your code uses a PRICE +/- multiplier*period...where period is the output from the homodyne and where volatility (amplitude) has dissapeared.

Wouldn't it make more sense if your code calculated the lines as:

PRICE +/- multiplier*ATR(period) ????

Not saying your stuff is incorrect, only that it doesn't make sense to me, after reading the book.

It looks as if your coded indicator mixes up price amplitude with period (time). I'm very confused.

Thanks and take care.

JC
                Last edited by jcook; 05-06-2009, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Hi JC,
                  don't worry, I don't take it personally! Well, the only way to know that is trying it. So, just give it a go and see what you get. Just change the code a little. What I think you will get at the end is the ATR calculated every time with different time spams. It may have less trades as well.
                  To answer the other question, the period in this case is a meassure of volatility as well. Not a number of time periods to create the spam where you do the calculation. It is the cycle period and it meassures volatility a little different that Wilder did in his ATR, which meassures the distance travel by the price if I remember well. In this case, say that you draw a circle. You put a dot in the center of that circle, then you draw lines from the center of the circle to the border of it at the same angle all the time. The number of slices you get would be the period of that cycle or circle. In this case, those slices represent a bar of price movement. If you have only 4 slices, it is a fast cycle, if you have 20, it is slow.
                  Hope that helps.
                  Last edited by lgarcia3; 05-06-2009, 11:43 AM.

Comment

I posted a modified version, using Jcooks suggestion but it plotted almost exactly like the original SuperTrend and I didn't find it very useful so I've removed it and created a different version.

Basically its the original SuperTrend algorithm but the ATR period and multiplier adapt using the Homodyne Discriminator.

The reason people were getting weird plotting and using such different multiplier values is because the Homodyne Discriminator is returning a "period" which isn't necessarily related to the price. For example if you are trading forex and the price is 1.38 and the HD returns 20 and you multiply that by 0.5, SuperTrend will plot at 11.38 which is obviously way out of the price scale.

I always found the multiplier had a much larger impact on the indicator than the ATR period so in this version both the period and the multiplier adapt.

I haven't tested this, aside from making sure it plots, so let me know if its useful.

(*As this is my 666th post this indicator may be evil and blow up the internet, use with caution )
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Elliott Wave; 05-06-2009, 10:19 PM. Reason: uploaded a new version of the indicator

Comment

i cant seam to change the multiplier on the new one ?

Comment

That's because the multiplier is adaptable. The only reason its in the parameters is so you can see what the current value is.

It wouldn't be hard to make a multiplier for the multiplier that can be adjusted, maybe that's something I'll look into when I have time.

Comment

ah ok ..cheers , not sure what that means though but im sure its somthing good

Comment

Excellent! That's what people call team work! Now it is completely adaptable, no need to set anything up. Let's see if that makes it more friendly in trade... which is the real test.
                            Thanks!
                            Last edited by lgarcia3; 05-14-2009, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lgarcia3 View Post
                              Hello,
                              I saw a long discussion about SuperTrend. I thought the indicator was good, but still had a few whipsaw trades. So, I think this should clean it up a little. The concept of SuperTrend is based on checking how volatile the price is at some point. What I did was to check how large the period of the trend is and get a nice indicator with less whipsaw trades. In the shot you can see ES, 15-minute, with SuperTrend in its default settings and the adaptive version. The regular supertrend signals 7 different trades, while the adaptive version only one trade.
                              Hope that improves it a little.
                              Have fun!
                              I have found this to be a very useful tool and wanted to express my thanks for your revision and submission.

Comment

I tried this tool and I have an issue with it . . .

On live trading the signals seem to come often and then after refresh it is much different . . . .

Attached is an example of what I mean . . .

Anything I can do?
                                Attached Files

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by zstheorist, Today, 07:52 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post zstheorist  
                                Started by pmachiraju, 11-01-2023, 04:46 AM
                                8 responses