CCI Pattern Recognition for Woodies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SW Forcaster

Snap what happens to the signals when you togle the "SW Forcaster" "use" switch to true...?

Comment

I have never really gotten the sidewinder forecaster to be any better than about 90% accurate. If you toggle the use sidewinder switch to true, the ZLR patterns will show based on the forecast value of the sidewinder, rather than the actual value. This will give you a signal earlier in the bar, when a change of color from red will occur, if the forecast is correct. However, if the forecast still shows red, but the actual value shows yellow or green, you will miss the signal.

My recommendation at this time is not to use the Sidewinder forecaster. You will still get all valid signals, but only when the actual sidewinder color changes to yellow or green, which may be very close to the high or low of the bar. That is the advantage of the forecasters, early signal recognition.

Comment

Thanks...also do you recomend use of the the momo change as an early exit...?

Comment

What I do is use the momo change between the 100s and a 100 cross once the CCI has crossed above/below the 100/-100 line. For me, this cuts my losses off quickly, but let's the runners get their second wind.

You really need to gather your data and determine which gives you the best profit potential given your trading style and temperment. Would you feel worse missing the extra run or giving back more of your unrealized profit?

Comment

Thanks....Ill watch it...

Comment

Using WoodiesPatterns in a NT Strategy

Originally posted by patm15 View Post
              BTW - I noticed from reading other responses to woodies pattern recognition, there is a way to transfer patterns to a strategy, so one can backtest them.

Have you given this any thought?

Thank you

Pat
              Actually, extracting the various trade signals for use in a strategy is very easy. He's using two DataSeries - one called wCCIPatternSeries which holds the type of signal that triggered (ZLR, Famir... etc), then another DataSeries called wCCIDirectionSeries which returns either a 1 or a -1 depending on the direction (long or short).

Here are the possible values for the wCCIPatternSeries dataseries:

1 = ZeroLineReject
              2 = Famir
              3 = Vegas
              4 = GB100
              5 = Tony
              6 = Ghost

So, for example, a Famir Long would be triggered if wCCIPatternSeries == 2 and wCCIDirectionSeries == 1.
              A Ghost Short would be triggered if wCCIPatternSeries == 6 and wCCIDirectionSeries == -1.

Your strategy code would look something like:
              if(WoodiesPatterns(...variables_go_here...).wCCIPa tternSeries[0] == 2 & WoodiesPatterns(...variables_go_here...).wCCIDirec tionSeries[0] == 1)
              { EnterLong(); } //Entering Long for Famir Trade Signal

BTW - Excellent work on this indicator snaphook! Much appreciated!

Comment

Where is the indicator

I am new to the forum. Can anyone tell me where I can download the indicator? Thanks.

Comment

The link is over at the Woodies CCI forums. I think there was a link somewhere on the first page of this thread.
                  Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Snaphook's work is available for download right here in this forum. Direct link:

You can also find it under NinjaScript File Sharing -- Indicators, with the title
                    "CCI Pattern Recognition for Woodies"

PS Please remember to be ostentatiously grateful to SnapHook for this highly professional indicator and his generosity in sharing it for FREE. After SnapHook published this, an associate of Woodies began offering a WCCI pattern-recognition indicator for $50/month.

EDIT:
                    Also, the indicator with Data Export to Excel file is here:

And Snaphook's Excel file that is used with Data Export is here:
                    Last edited by LG; 09-23-2008, 08:23 AM.

Comment

CCI_Data_Export Performance

CCI_Data_Export is very slow. I made some changes to it. Basically I moved the creation of object CCI_Forecaster and WoodiesCCI from OnBarUpdate to Initialize() function. The performance is much faster now. Please see the attached file.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Where can I find explanations what Ze, Zt, p1, p2, p3 … in the Forecaster exactly means?
                        Z will stand for ZLR, but what is the meaning of the rest?

I read the "Basic Patterns and Terminology". Is there a paper or a link?

Comment

The meanings of the text signals:

Z=ZLR, F=Famir, V=Vegas, B=GB100, T=Tony, G=Ghost.

The lower case letters below the cap letters indicate where the signal will trigger.

At the top of the range bar (t), bottom of the range bar (b), or at either end (e).

P1,p2 and p3 designate the peaks that made up a ghost.

Comment

Thank you for quick response. To see clear with the range bar...
                            Does it mean the section in the actual - not closed(finished) - bar?

Colors: green and red seams long/short. brown?

Lots of questions... and I like your work!

Comment

I added a 3rd data series for other developers. It is the signal trigger point. Just on a quick review, it seemed to me that the signals that close with an 'e' could be more reliable than the others. I added a DataSeries WCCIBarEnd that is 1 for top of bar, -1 for bottom of bar, and 0 for either end of bar.

You won't see any change in the indicator itself.

Comment

tagomi,
                                The 'b', 't', and 'e' mean that the signal will trigger if it closes at those ends, even though the bar has not yet closed. You may see the signal change from time to time as new highs or lows are made. For instance, a ZLR @ bottom of bar may be signaled, but as new lows are made the CCI Forecaster may drop to a value below your max signal value (usually 120) and the signal may change to ZLR @ top of bar or even ZLR @ either end. You may even see a long and a short trade signaled on the same bar, say a long ZLR and a short Famir.

The Forecaster is intended you give you advance notice of trigger points given projected values for a High or Low close well before the bar closes.

The colors are almost fully customizable, usually red or brown would be for a short signal and a green or lime would be long. The text positions are also customizable, so you can move your short signals to below the -200 if you prefer. Play around with them to see what best suits your own personal taste.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by algospoke, 04-17-2024, 06:40 PM
                                6 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post algospoke  
                                Started by arvidvanstaey, Today, 02:19 PM
                                4 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post arvidvanstaey