Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Conversion error - accessing an index with a value that is invalid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conversion error - accessing an index with a value that is invalid

I'm trying to convert the 310 indicator from NT7 to NT8. Oddly enough, I don't get this same error in NT7. I understand what it means, in that when the indicator is first called there aren't enough bars to calculate it, but I'm not sure how to fix it. I'm attaching the NT7 and NT8 (converted but not working) versions. Can someone take a look at this and tell me how to fix it?

Thanks!
    Attached Files

Hello,

Thank you for the post.

I wanted to check if we are getting the same error, you noted that the error you are seeing is related to the amount of bars. I am seeing the following error, is this the same as what you are seeing?

'LBR310': Error on calling 'OnBarUpdate' method on bar 0: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

If so, Object reference not set to an instance of an object just means that some object is being used while it is null. If this is the same error I can further review, otherwise if this is not the same error can you post the error you are seeing?

I look forward to being of further assistance.
    JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jesse View Post
      Hello,

Thank you for the post.

I wanted to check if we are getting the same error, you noted that the error you are seeing is related to the amount of bars. I am seeing the following error, is this the same as what you are seeing?

'LBR310': Error on calling 'OnBarUpdate' method on bar 0: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

If so, Object reference not set to an instance of an object just means that some object is being used while it is null. If this is the same error I can further review, otherwise if this is not the same error can you post the error you are seeing?

I look forward to being of further assistance.
      Yes, I am getting the same error

Comment

Hello sobertradingpartner,

Thank you for confirming this.

This indicates that there is a variable being called that has a null value.

Besure that you check for null with any nullable type.

For example:

private string MyVariable;

if (MyVariable != null && MyVariable == "Hello")
        {
        // execute code
        }

This condition would not cause an error even though MyVariable is null but would not trigger.
        Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Index error appearing

Thank you for that. I've checked through the code and thre are no null values. When I add it to a chart now, the indicator area is blank. The Log says the following:

"Indicator 'LBR310': Error on calling 'OnBarUpdate' method on bar 0: You are accessing an index with a value that is invalid since it is out-of-range. I.E. accessing a series [barsAgo] with a value of 5 when there are only 4 bars on the chart."

There are twenty days of bar values on the chart so I'm not sure where the problem is.

Comment

Closing price

I seem to have tracked down the error by using "Print()" statements. Adding this line on OnBarUpdate - Print("Close equals " + Close[0] + " at " + Time[0]); showed I was only getting the Price of the first bar since the beginning of the session, not the current bar price. On a 5 minute 6J chart at 5:58pm I got Close equals 0.008518 at 12/18/2016 3:05:00pm. That tells me it only processed the first bar of the open.

Using Print() again I found that the values of 'Close' and 'High' all resolve to Ninjatrader.Ninjascript.PriceSeries

This is followed by the error I mentioned above.
            Last edited by sobertradingpartner; 12-22-2016, 08:05 PM. Reason: more testing revealed more of the problem

Comment

Hello,

There is an NT8 version of the LBR310 in the dowloads section: http://ninjatrader.com/support/forum...hp?&linkid=823

Comment

Thanks

By looking at the already done conversion, I can see where I went wrong, mainly in the State configurations. I no longer need help with this, thanks everyone!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by inanazsocial, Today, 01:15 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post inanazsocial  
                Started by trilliantrader, 04-18-2024, 08:16 AM
                5 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post trilliantrader