Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Ninjatrader 7 custom indicators convert to Ninjatrader 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ninjatrader 7 custom indicators convert to Ninjatrader 8

I have NT7 custom indicators and I would like to use them on NT8. Is there any source to learn how to convert indicators.
    Thank you

Hi condor,

While there is no step-by-step guide that will show you how to do so, you would be well served by looking through the code-breaking changes from NT7 > NT8, as this will detail what parts of your scripts will need to be changed to be in compliance with NT8's under the hood changes.

NinjaTrader 8 - Code Breaking Changes

Please let us know if you have any questions.
    <span class="name">Alex C.</span><span class="title">NinjaTrader Customer Service</span><iframe name="sig" id="sigFrame" src="/support/forum/core/clientscript/Signature/signature.php" frameborder="0" border="0" cellspacing="0" style="border-style: none;width: 100%; height: 120px;"></iframe>

Comment

Thank you for reply!
      I did know about Code Breaking Changes. Where can I start from? I have custom indicators open code. Do I need to change code on NT7 or start new indicator and copy and past code in NT8 .and then change code. Thank you

Comment

Hi condor,

What I would do is, using the Code Breaking Changes as your guide, go line by line through your NT 7 code and type the equivalent into NinjaTrader 8. Compile after each line to see what errors may have arisen.
        <span class="name">Alex C.</span><span class="title">NinjaTrader Customer Service</span><iframe name="sig" id="sigFrame" src="/support/forum/core/clientscript/Signature/signature.php" frameborder="0" border="0" cellspacing="0" style="border-style: none;width: 100%; height: 120px;"></iframe>

Comment

Originally posted by condor View Post
          Thank you for reply!
          I did know about Code Breaking Changes. Where can I start from? I have custom indicators open code. Do I need to change code on NT7 or start new indicator and copy and past code in NT8 .and then change code. Thank you
          1. Copy the cs file as is to NT8 and compile.
          2. Correct the identified errors.

Comment

Thank you for reply!
            You can also read here and report back if it works or not.

Comment

C

Originally posted by koganam View Post
              1. Copy the cs file as is to NT8 and compile.
              2. Correct the identified errors.
              Thank you for help!
              I am new with NinjaTrader Script, please let me know how I can fix errors
              Let say I have arror
              Code: CS0234
              Line: 9
              Column: 23
              What is next step?

Comment

Thank you for help!
                I am new with NinjaTrader Script, please let me know how I can fix errors
                Let say I have arror
                Code: CS0234
                Line: 9
                Column: 23
                What is next step?
                You go to the identified place and examine the code. Correct the code by reference to the "Code Breaking Changes" or C# documentation. There is no shortcut: it is a very manual process.

Comment

Hi condor,

While going through your code and running into a particular compile error code like you mentioned while doing so, it may be a worthy resource to keep in mind the NT8 Compile Error Codes as well.

Comment

Help

I find this indicator for NJT 7 but doesn t work for NJT8?
                    Someone hel me
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hello Jack86,

Thank you for your post.

The file you provided is not an indicator file and appears to be part of a protected assembly package. Do you have the .cs file for the NinjaTrader 7 version? The .cs file in the .zip you provided is not an indicator.

I look forward to your response.

Comment

Help

I find this indicator for NJT 7 but doesn t work for NJT8?
                        Someone hel me
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hello ropofb,

Indicators created for NinjaTrader 7 cannot be imported into NinjaTrader 8. This would need to be created for NinjaTrader 8.

Below is a link to a forum post on porting scripts.

This script appears pretty simple and I would encourage you to try creating this script for NinjaTrader 8. The inputs can be created with the wizard generator and then the logic can be copied in.

This thread will remain open for any community members that would like to create this script as a convenience to you.

You can also contact a professional NinjaScript Consultant who would be eager to create or modify this script at your request or assist you with your script. The NinjaTrader Ecosystem has affiliate contacts who provide educational as well as consulting services. Please let me know if you would like our business development follow up with you with a list of affiliate consultants who would be happy to create this script or any others at your request.
                          Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I have the same issue of wanting to transfer over indicators from 7 to 8. The question I have though is do I have any hope of doing this successfully if those indicators are 3rd party proprietary indicators? I got an installation file and a lifetime license. I don't know for certain, but I imagine I can't look at the internal scripts for them. Any thoughts? I'd just contact the developer, but he has long since disappeared and I have no way of getting in touch. Thank you.

Comment

Without the source code for the NinjaTrader 7 indicator,
                              I would say you are completely out of luck with regards
                              to your efforts to upgrade that indicator to NT8.

Start looking for replacements that work in NT8.
                              Or contact an NT8 developer to get help building
                              your own replacement.

This is a big reason why lots of experienced NT users
                              prefer to have source code for everything they use.
                              That way, when a developer 'retires' himself or his
                              products, it doesn't leave you hanging.

The best NT8 repositories for free open source indicators
                              are these NT forums and the forums at futures.io.

Good luck!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by BarzTrading, Today, 07:25 AM
                              2 responses
                              1 like
                              Last Post BarzTrading  
                              Started by devatechnologies, 04-14-2024, 02:58 PM
                              3 responses
                              0 likes