Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VPN Connection - Win 10

Hello,

I discovered that Windows 10 has an option to add a VPN connection (virtual private network).

Screenshot attached.

My question is, when chatting with Ninjatrader platform support, regarding NT8 freezing problems that I've been having, I was told that I might have connectivity issues and should contact my ISP and consider using a VPS.

I see that my connection in the Log tab shows is-us-001.ninjatrader.com/31658

Could setting up a VPN in addition to, or without a VPS, possibly resolve or lessen the freezing problem that I am having when in the middle of a trade?
    Attached Files

Isn't that the usual first excuse from support? The problem is your connection, get a VPS,etc.

How the heck is a VPS going to behave any differently if NT8 can't handle a simple disconnect.

What machine specs are you using? Are you in the states? Are you all gigabit in your connections? Which router are you using?

Comment

Hi Sledge,

Thanks for your reply.

I have a Windows 10 desktop PC. 64 bit OS. 16 GB of RAM.

I'm not at home now, I'm on the road with my laptop so I cannot tell you my processor, CPU info and so on.

And yes, I am in the U.S.

Not sure what you mean by if I'm all gigabit in my connections.

As for my router, I'll have to get that info after I get home.

I just logged into my ISP and found this:

Modem: Technicolor MTA

Attached is a screenshot of my data usage.
      Attached Files

Comment

i2w8am9ii2,

Thanks for posting.

A VPN can be thought of as a "network anonymizer," and would not actually have an effect on the overall health of your connection. It would be the health of the connection that causes disconnects in the platform, not necessarily the speed or security of the connection.

I'm would be happy to review your log and trace files and provide some further tests to confirm the connection to be the cause of this behavior if you would please email us at PlatformSupport [AT] NinjaTrader [DOT] com. In your message please include a link to this forum thread and a copy of today's trace files. You will find these diagnostic files in the Documents > NinjaTrader 8 > Trace folder. I will need to review a copy of the files which are named 'trace.20171119.XXXXX.txt'. There will likely be multiple files for each day.
        Drew O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Drew,

Thanks for the info and for your offer to help.

I'm still on the road with my laptop now. After I get home I'll send you my log and trace files.

Comment

Originally posted by i2w8am9ii2 View Post
            Hi Sledge,

Thanks for your reply.

I have a Windows 10 desktop PC. 64 bit OS. 16 GB of RAM.

I'm not at home now, I'm on the road with my laptop so I cannot tell you my processor, CPU info and so on.

And yes, I am in the U.S.

Not sure what you mean by if I'm all gigabit in my connections.

As for my router, I'll have to get that info after I get home.

I just logged into my ISP and found this:

Modem: Technicolor MTA

Attached is a screenshot of my data usage.
            Which one?

Building on the success of Technicolor, Vantiva is beginning a new era of innovation in our industry. This focused direction for our business will drive sustainable growth for Vantiva and ensure our long-term success.

I'm at 30 down/6 up. Speedtest.net shows this.

I'd be concerned if you were on DSL or something of lesser quality. But it looks like you have a standard connection if you are pulling that much data monthly.

Which router are you using?

There are different cable wires - different CAT #s. You should be using 5e or above and not using wireless.

If you had no problems in NT7- then this points to another one of those NT8 type issues.
            (assuming whatever extra code you are using was converted correctly).

I was told to get a VPS to deal with disconnects, but it made no sense since it was NT8 that failed to reconnect to the adapter. Now they are passing the buck and saying it's not their fault, but the data provider.

Comment

Hi Sledge,

Thanks for your follow up.

I'm using an Asus Wireless Router RT-AC68U Dual Band 802.11ac Gigabit Router.

I did upgrade my internet with Spectrum awhile back so that I have their fastest speed connection.

You mention that I should not be using wireless. I do have Ethernet cables connected to my Asus Wireless Router, so I assume I'm not running it in wireless mode. But I'm not certain 100%.

Ninjatrader platform support did get back to me and had me run some Command Prompt tests, to see the speed in ms to certain servers (I think that's what it is).

Screenshot attached of my PC configuration.

Thanks again.
              Attached Files

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
              4 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post DJ888
              by DJ888

Started by terofs, Today, 04:18 PM