Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chart Trader limit orders?

Hi

I don't see buy or sell limit orders in the chart trader options? Also, where is the option to add a stop price before entry?

Thanks.
    Attached Files

Hello Irukandii,

Thanks for writing in.

Options for buy and sell limit orders, stop limit orders, and stop market orders are available once chart trader is enabled by right clicking on your chart window.

Please do so at the price you wish to apply your order and you will see all specific order options available for that price.

Stop prices for stop limit or stop market orders are specified when the order is placed. In the case of stop limit orders, the point on the market at which you right click to place the order will be your stop price. After this is selected, you will be prompted with a entry box in which you may apply your limit offset. By default, this offset is measured in ticks.
    For more information on order entry, please see our help guide page here: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...art_trader.htm

If you wish to place a Stop Loss and / or Profit Target to manage your orders prior to placing them, you may do so using the ATM strategy section of chart trader.
    For more information on ATM strategies, please see our help guide page here: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...gement_atm.htm
    Cody D.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Chart Trader - orders printed on chart

Hi

I placed a sim trade, buying 1000 shares at "bid"

it was an iliquid stock anyway, so it partially filled me many times, small orders.

It printed on screen (see image) every buy order.

Although quite useful at time of buying, they remain on screen always after!

Any setting to have them vanish automatically after they appear?

Thanks.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hello Irukandji,

Order markers on charts can be adjusted by accessing your Data Series settings. To do so, please right click on your chart window and select 'Data Series.

On the data series properties, scroll down to locate the option for 'Plot Executions'. The option for 'Text and Markers' is likely currently selected.

Adjust this option to 'Markers only' if you wish to remove the text from your orders and still retain the blue arrow marking the order placement.

Adjust this option to 'Do not plot' if you wish for both the text and the markers to be removed.

Select 'OK' once completed to apply the changes to your chart. Please be sure to save the changes to your Workspace or any chart templates in use.

Comment

Chart Trader - incorrect share count after dismisisng a partial order

Hi

As I stated, I bought 1000 shares - partial fills, only 31 filled.

The remaining 969 were left as an order on the chart.

Later after price moved away, I dismissed the remaining 969 share order.

I right clicked on chart, and noticed the buy and sell options were still for 1000 shares (the original order) and were not updated to 31 (the actual shares filled)

This seems like an error of some sort.

Thanks.

(see image)
          Attached Files

Comment

Hello Irukandji,

Thank you for clarifying.

In order to investigate this further, can you please send your log and trace files to our support team?

To do so, please go to your NinjaTrader control center, select the Help menu, and choose Email Support.

Enter the email address which will be best to respond to in the form. Please enter the following ticket number for reference into the body of the email: Ticket # 1937194

Please also ensure the check box next to 'log and trace files' is selected.

Once we have received and reviewed the details we will update you directly with our findings.

Comment

OK, email sent - thanks.

Comment

Hello Irukandji,

Thank you for providing your log and trace files.

Upon further review I have determined that the order you placed only partially filled because the market price was moving up at the time your order was placed.

Buy Limit orders specify a specific price point at which the order is initiated. Any contracts assigned to such an order will only be filled at that price point, and not if the market moves above it.

When you placed your initial Buy Limit order for 1,000 contracts at 33.82, 31 contracts filled during the time the price remained at 33.82 or lower. Since the market price quickly moved above 33.82, the remaining contracts did not fill and were left active, as they were specified to only Buy at this price or below (according to the Buy Limit Order parameters).

In your Chart window, the Buy and Sell options remained at a quantity of 1,000 because this is what had been specified in the Quantity box of your chart trader window. Had they not been manually cancelled, the remaining 969 contracts would have continued to be active and filled their position once the market returned to the specified limit price.

The NinjaTrader simulator is designed to imitate order fulfillment in the same manner the brokerage does however, since it is a simulation, it is not always entirely exact. In other words, live orders which are managed by your broker and the exchange may be capable of completing quicker.
                • To clarify this, it is best to contact your broker to ask any questions about delayed order fulfillment and situations such as these, as they are able to provide further details.

In situations where there is much market volatility, partial order fulfillment can be prevented to a degree by alternatively using Stop Market or Market orders, or submitting multiple orders with less contracts assigned.

Please let us know if we may assist you further.

Comment

Hi Cody

My query wasn't about not being filled - I know why I wasn't filled and that's fine.

My issue was that after dismissing the unfilled portion of the order (by hitting the 'X' on the outstanding portion of orders waiting to be filled on the charts), the order options available by right-clicking the chart, were still showing 1000 instead of 31.

Make sense?

Thanks.

Comment

Hello Irukandji,

Thank you for your response.

When you submitted your first order for 1,000 contracts, the full number of contracts were submitted. When the 31 filled and you manually dismissed the remaining 969, the order entry window defaulted to the parameters you had previously specified in the Chart Trader window.

Parameters entered into Chart Trader, such as an ATM strategy selection or in this case, the Order Quantity, will remain active for all new orders placed on your chart unless otherwise specified. This is why right clicking on the chart presented only the option to order with another 1,000 contracts.

To manage your open position of 31 contracts using Chart Trader, the Order Quantity amount will need to be adjusted to 31, or the position can be managed by right clicking on it under the 'Positions' tab of the Control Center window.

Please let us know if we may assist you further.

Comment

Wouldn't it make more sense for it to automatically update after I manually remove part of the order from the chart?

Why would I open a buy order for 1000 shares, get filled on 31, then later manually dismiss the remaining open order that obviously won't get filled as price has moved too far away, and when I quickly need to close the order later, right click the chart and find it still thinks I want to sell 1000 shares?

That makes no sense.

Thanks.
                      Last edited by Irukandji; 07-11-2018, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for your response.

Since all 1,000 contracts for your order were either filled or manually closed, NinjaTrader interpreted this order as completed, therefore resets the order parameters to the default settings.

For the 31 contracts which had already filled, the position could be quickly closed using the 'Close' button on the Chart Trader window. This option is also available by right clicking on the position on the Positions tab of the Control Center window.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by BarzTrading, Today, 07:25 AM
                        1 response
                        0 likes
                        Last Post NinjaTrader_Clayton  
                        Started by EB Worx, 04-04-2023, 02:34 AM
                        7 responses
                        0 likes